What cartridges have you taken deer with?

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,833 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Dang, I remember when they were $500.

I remember when Premium Gasoline was 20 cents a gallon too,

:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I once killed a red wasp with a ball **** hammer. Does that count?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    I just rediscovered this thread while doing some research. Realized I'd added a couple new cartridges to the list this past season. So, here is my updated list.

.223 Rem
    .22-250
    .243 Win
    .25-06 Rem
    .260 Rem
    .270 Win
    7mm-08 Rem
    .280 Rem
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm RUM
    .30-30 Win
    .308 Win
    .30-06 Spr
    .300 Win Mag
    .300 RUM
    .35 Rem
    .358 Winchester
    .375 Ruger
    .44 Mag
    .460 Smith & Wesson Mag
    .45-70
    .458 Win Mag

Edit: Since folks are adding shotshells.
    20gr (Buck)
    12ga (Buck/Slug)

The cartridges in red are the new additions from last season. If I extend this to "deer sized game" and include hogs, I can add the 6x45 cartridge to the list as well. But then, a pig ain't a deer.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,744 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    6.5 Grendel
    7mm IHMSA (3 Axis deer only 2 shots)
    7x57
    30-30 Win
    30-06
    50 Beowulf
    forgot
    50 Cal ML using both full bore Maxi-Ball and .429 HPs (300gr Ranier and 270gr cast)

Looking back over this thread (and my post in it) I realized I forgot my 7.5x55 Swiss from my list
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Damn I fell for this again. I guess we get bored around here an put up ancient threads so we can laugh at those who stumble on them and post. But what the heck, I look at these things as living documents, LOL!!!
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,023 Senior Member
    You're not the only one looking at the "Classics" Snake. P.S. I'm taking my .375 H&H out antelope hunting this fall!
    You're not the only one looking at the "Classics" Snake. P.S. I'm taking my .375 H&H out antelope hunting this fall!

And right you should. Nothing wrong with that. If I had a .375 H&H you can bet I'd take it after deer too. I'm not saying it would be my primary deer gun, but I'd love to try it.

I killed one year before last with my 9.3x62 with a 270 grain Speer Hot Core Semi Spitzer and to my amazement it killed a nice spike DRT.

Oh EDIT!EDIT!EDIT!

This past season I used my 30-06 with a 200 grain Game King and my .257 AI with a 115 grain Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip and once again They killed two deer very dead.

(Blackened words Edits)

I have a friend named Pat that hunts deer with his .375 H&H and I jokingly ask him once, Why did he use that on deer? He calmly told me, "Because I hate it when they Run AWAY!"

.....:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:!!!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    .30-06
    7.62x39

Pretty boring list.

I have added .45Colt and .454 Casull
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I just rediscovered this thread while doing some research. Realized I'd added a couple new cartridges to the list this past season. So, here is my updated list.

.223 Rem
    .22-250
    .243 Win
    .25-06 Rem
    .260 Rem
    .270 Win
    7mm-08 Rem
    .280 Rem
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm RUM
    .30-30 Win
    .308 Win
    .30-06 Spr
    .300 Win Mag
    .300 RUM
    .35 Rem
    .358 Winchester
    .375 Ruger
    .44 Mag
    .454 Casull
    .460 Smith & Wesson Mag
    .45-70
    .458 Win Mag

20gr (Buck)
    12ga (Buck/Slug)

The cartridges in red are the new additions from last season. If I extend this to "deer sized game" and include hogs, I can add the 6x45 cartridge to the list as well. But then, a pig ain't a deer.

Edit: Good point bullsi1911, I'd forgotten the Casull this year as well.
  • VargetVarget Member Posts: 99 Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I hate to revive this part of this thread because it was so far back and Varget went away. But browsing thru for strictly entertainment purposes (Yeah some of this IS actually entertaining and I get bored) I saw this and thought, "I've seen much worse meat damage on animals from small high velocity bullets hitting a bone than this. I've blown the back strap right out of a deer with a 6mm Remington. And that's judged by our peers as a fine deer rifle. Of course I killed a lot of deer with it with little meat damage too, but the same can be said for the .458 Win. Mag. Too much GUN? Like I said in another post, maybe a nuclear device of some sort.

You could only wish, just biding my time, reading away.
    This thread is so pertinent to what most of us do, it should be a sticky.

I think this year I'm going to use my .25s more. I know my .270, .280, and 30-06 will do it, and since the two .25s I built were my grail guns, I need to use them both more. They have both been blooded on deer and I know they will perform well on them, so I'm going to use them both more. Maybe I'll experiment more with bullets. Maybe a 100 grain of some flavor would be good. But I'm really into the bigger bullets in them. And whether I use a 100 or a 120 grain I don't think is a big issue. They're all killers of deer and hogs.
    Varget wrote: »
    You could only wish, just biding my time, reading away.

OMG!!! He's BACK!!!:blah:..........:roll:..........:yikes:..........:silly:..........:uhm:..........:rotflmao:
    OMG!!! He's BACK!!!:blah:..........:roll:..........:yikes:..........:silly:..........:uhm:..........:rotflmao:

I never went away :p :p:p
    I never went away :p :p:p

Did you get any smarter since we last heard from you?
    Did you get any smarter since we last heard from you?

Guess not, I was never convinced elephant guns were the right choice for 80 lb. does. Here we go again. :troll:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,082 Senior Member
    Irony-Meter-Explode.jpg
    Overkill is underrated.
    overkill_zpsrrocxyfv.jpg
    overkill1_zpshyenzlo0.jpg
    overkill4_zpssqbdmahi.jpg
    overkill2_zpsycdjlgxl.jpg
    Over 45,000 views, that has to be some kind of a record. I am glad Zee and I could provide entertainment.
    And just to get the discussion going again, the best ALL TIME ROUND EVER MADE FOR DEER is the.........wait for it...........................................................................................................
    .270 Winchester :punch:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,476 Senior Member
    Over 45,000 views, that has to be some kind of a record.

Not even close.

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?14538-The-last-person-to-post-in-this-thread-wins-a-brick-of-22-ammo

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »

yeah, but for a hunting thread it has to be one of the tops. Maybe the .404 Jeffries thread was higher.
    cpj wrote: »
    You're a femine hygiene product that we can't mention anymore. It comes In a bag, has a special applicator wand, and gives you a summer fresh feeling.

Your obviously a very intelligent fellow by your welcome back post. Sorry I don't run with the "in" crowd here, I have my own opinions, isn't that what this forum is for?
    But of course it is.

And we have the right to think your, or anyone's, opinion is ing ****. Deal with it or go away. Easy peasy.

Goes both ways, I happened to believe your opinion really doesn't matter either, so I guess we are on the same page. Also calling people or opinions "****" really shows your mentality, have you ever known someone with down syndrome?(obviously not) Some find that very offensive, you need to grow up. These days that is like calling an African American the "N" word.
    See how easy that is? We mutually think each other is a dumbass. I'm cool with that. :up:

No, by your statements I believe you are undereducated would be my best guess. You really need to lay off the "****" comments that you post way too much. I have bit my tongue many times seeing that word thrown around here like it is nothing. Moderators should not allow this IMO.
    My goal next year is to add the following cartridges to my existing list.

6.5-06 A-Square
    .357 Mag
    .445 Super Mag
    .45 Colt
    and maybe a wildcat .44cal that some Jackass has designed.

If I can accomplish all those, it'll be a good year.
    Zee wrote: »
    My goal next year is to add the following cartridges to my existing list.

6.5-06 A-Square
    .357 Mag
    .445 Super Mag
    .45 Colt
    and maybe a wildcat .44cal that some Jackass has designed.

If I can accomplish all those, it'll be a good year.

As many as you took last year that sounds like a very attainable goal.
    Zee wrote: »
    So, here is my updated list.

.223 Rem
    .22-250
    .243 Win
    .25-06 Rem
    .260 Rem
    .270 Win
    7mm-08 Rem
    .280 Rem
    7mm Rem Mag
    7mm RUM
    .30-30 Win
    .30-30 Ackley Improved
    .308 Win
    .30-06 Spr
    .300 Win Mag
    .300 RUM
    .35 Rem
    .358 Winchester
    .375 Ruger
    .44 Mag
    .454 Casull
    .460 Smith & Wesson Mag
    .45-70
    .458 Win Mag

20gr (Buck)
    12ga (Buck/Slug)

Dagnabbit! I forgot to add the .30-30 AI from last year as well.