Home Main Category General Firearms

.300 AAC BO brass... please school me!

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,973 Senior Member
I have seen brass being offered as once fired lake city reformed non annealed, or annealed, or new factory annealed.

What should I buy? I can get new annealed unprimed from Wideners for $58 / 250 plus shipping.

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    It's not difficult to make .300 AAC from .223 brass, but takes a bit of cutting. I'd get the new factory stuff if it were me, unless I was prepared to shave off a lot of neck...comparatively a lot. I don't think you necessarily need it annealed, but it won't hurt.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    I'd either buy the new, or the formed and annealed brass. Case forming work hardens brass at the neck and shoulder. Already having it annealed cuts down on neck cracks when shooting, so you get more reloading out of it. And annealing brass is a major pain in the patootie if you don't have a setup to do mass quantities. I wish I had a setup like Scootertrash showed us he built; that was a sweet machine.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Well it depends on how far you want to jump in. I paid up a couple years back for a Giraud case trimmer and now am thinking of going with their annealer. The case trimmer is single case but the annealer has a hopper type setup where you can load the cases and it feeds based on the setting you dial in. They ain't cheap but if you are running any volume they do make it a heck of a lot easier and extend case life.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I buy the Blackout brass when I'm feeling lazy and find it fairly cheap but most of my Blackout brass has 223 stamped on it.
    You can anneal it yourself if you like.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member