Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Christ Christie to Call for end to common core standards

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/29182142/christie-to-call-for-end-to-common-core-in-new-jersey

Love Christie or hate him, I gotta say, as a parent of a child about to get this silly re-writing of teaching standards shoved into my children's craniums, I am happy to see someone calling an end to this madness.

For those of you who don't have school age kids, you should know that common core math involves painfully different problem solving methods for the same math questions we had as kids. It to the point that many parents are completely unable to help them with their homework because they have no basis of understanding for the methods. The common core initiative is driven by Achieve, Inc., a Washington, D.C. "think tank" which does not include membership from all of the states.

The rumor among the teachers I know is that the textbook companies are the big "private" interests behind this one, hoping to make huge money from the complete overhaul of student textbook. It makes sense. The textbook market that has been fairly stagnant for a long time. Moreover, since math hadn't really changed at the rudimentary level pretty much forever, the textbook were one place that municipalities struggling with school budget issues could greatly delay purchasing the latest versions to pursue more pressing issues.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    Hell, when I was a kid, we had the "new math". This must be the "new new math". Or something.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    In theory, the basis behind common core is not bad: you have a common standard that by 2nd grade everyone nationwide knows certain things, by 5th they know certain things more, etc.

But now it's morphed from a standard to a teaching method, and as any teacher worth the name will tell you, not everyone learns the same way.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    First, the idea that we can teach all students to the same level is a fantasy. There is a reason kids have 80 IQ's and 120 IQ's, some are just smarter than others. Teachers have to teach to the lowest standards in their class, which is a very good reason to segregate kids according to their abilities.

Having said this, imagine if all students had an IPAD, loaded with electronic interactive texts. They could in theory all learn from the same basic core at their own levels. I have two high school clients that are already doing something like this.

Add to that, We have had standardized testing for decades through the Iowa standard tests and the Stanford Assessments. Why we keep trying to re-invent the wheel, I don't know.

I think Judge Smails in Caddyshack said to Danny Noonan," The world needs ditch diggers too."
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Christie just proved that even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY