Home Main Category General Firearms

Trail Boss

sakodudesakodude Senior MemberPosts: 3,899 Senior Member
I have never used it but seeing has how I ran into some, figured I'd give it a whirl.
009_zps4hseth1s.jpg

Where does this stuff shine? Any "Pet loads" to offer?

Sako

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »

Sako
    Unless you're shooting CAS or CAS class loads, a LOT of it is burned making subsonic loads.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I have never used it but seeing has how I ran into some, figured I'd give it a whirl.
    009_zps4hseth1s.jpg

Sako

First of all, the fact that you found any to buy makes you a lottery winner.

It's a great sub sonic powder. I use it in my 45-70 and have killed a few pigs with it. A "full load " of Trail boss under a 405 gr lead bullet is more powerful that a point blank .44 magnum, and still almost powder puff recoil.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Good stuff. Use it for my .357 Magnum loads....
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    First of all, the fact that you found any to buy makes you a lottery winner.

It's a great sub sonic powder. I use it in my 45-70 and have killed a few pigs with it. A "full load " of Trail boss under a 405 gr lead bullet is more powerful that a point blank .44 magnum, and still almost powder puff recoil.

D

I was thinking it might be fun to try some 45-70 and perhaps 40-65 as well. Did you do the 70% un-compressed fill capacity to start or use published numbers?

Sako
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    I was thinking it might be fun to try some 45-70 and perhaps 40-65 as well. Did you do the 70% un-compressed fill capacity to start or use published numbers?

Sako

I've only used published numbers so far for .45-70, .45 Colt, .38-55, and a few others. I like it a LOT as it makes for some fun loads with high volume BP cases.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,869 Senior Member
    If they had any more where you bought that, you might want to go get some more. You'll likely be glad you did. :up:

I've been using it for several years in mild 45 Colt and 38 Special loads. I have had some pretty accurate loads using Trail Boss. I don't have my load data avialable right now to share, but in my experience, I generally find the best accuracy somewhere just below book max loads. It's kinda hard to overcharge with that powder, as bulky as it is. I have read that it can get pretty inconsistent and unsafe when it's compressed. I have never loaded it in 45-70 or anything other than 45 Colt, 38 Special and 357 mag. I did load some once in a few 454 Casull rounds that was very accurate. But to me, it defeats the purpose to load that cartridge to 45 Colt velocity. Especaillly when I can simply shoot 45 Colt out of the same gun. It was just a fun experiment.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Good stuff. Use it for my .357 Magnum loads....

Just how much of TB are you using in the .357? I figure with a case full of the stuff you might hit 800 FPS! :uhm:
    N320AW wrote: »
    Just how much of TB are you using in the .357? I figure with a case full of the stuff you might hit 800 FPS! :uhm:

Here's the load data sheet from IMR. It lists quite a few chamberings and bullet weights.

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/trailboss.php
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    11-13 grains (DONT QUOTE ME, CHECK THE BOOK, )of TB in my 45-70 with a 405 is a HOOT. It clocks at a blistering 900 FPS.

Are you saying I should not go 3 or 4 grains over published maximum:yikes: who would have ever thought that might cause a problem:jester:

Sako
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    I use it for sub-sonic loads in the .308 Winchester with good results.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    11-13 grains (DONT QUOTE ME, CHECK THE BOOK, )of TB in my 45-70 with a 405 is a HOOT. It clocks at a blistering 900 FPS.
    Looking at the online IMR data, they say 12-13gr for a 405 cast in 45-70 for 971-1007fps from a 24" bbl
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I might try using it in my Casull with some 360gr cast bullets for laughs. Originally got them for my .460 S&W but it doesn't like them.

Would like to try Trail Boss in my .357 Mag and 180gr WFN-FB Cast bullets, but there is no data for 180 gr bullets and TB.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    It's pretty much a full case safe powder. I have found just kissing but not really compressed loads the most accurate.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Fill it full to the bottom of the bullet. At least (double check) that's what hogdon says. I think. Possibly.

Yeah. That's comforting load data.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct

I was referring to your, "I think...........possibly" reference.
    That's was my disclaimer. Have to add that. Make people look. Wouldn't want some feminine hygiene product to put too much powder in a case, blow up a gun, then sue the forum.

Now, who would EVER do such a careless thing?

I wonder.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    No, it would be OK. SAAMI spec actually. It would be a headspace issue.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,660 Senior Member
    Have seen lots of Trail Boss around here in the last month, I have only used it for 44 spl and 45 colt.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    No, it would be OK. SAAMI spec actually. It would be a headspace issue.

I smell a Max Headroom reference in what you just posted.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    009_zps4hseth1s.jpg

Sako

I hate you. Both my local LGS that carry supplies have been backordered for 8 or 9 months....
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I hate you. Both my local LGS that carry supplies have been backordered for 8 or 9 months....

Not too hard to find here, weird how powder seems to be region specific.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc wrote: »
    Not too hard to find here, weird how powder seems to be region specific.

No kiddin'. And Hodgdon has a damn factory not 6 hours from me....
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    No kiddin'. And Hodgdon has a damn factory not 6 hours from me....

Down right mouth watering ain't it?

ECFF75DB-979C-4497-B33F-53FDF010266B_zpsaejfqwyp.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    Down right mouth watering ain't it?

ECFF75DB-979C-4497-B33F-53FDF010266B_zpsaejfqwyp.jpg

Bah.... hope you spill your coffee in it...
    Bah.... hope you spill your coffee in it...

Don't be a hater! :devil:
    Don't be a hater! :devil:

A 9 month wait makes haters out of the best of us. I'll have my suppressor before I get any Trailboss.
    A 9 month wait makes haters out of the best of us. I'll have my suppressor before I get any Trailboss.

Well sorry you can't find any, I'd give you a pound if you were close.