Home Main Category Clubhouse

advice for a hunting bow for a woman

RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior MemberPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
My wife wants one for her upcoming birthday. I want to buy locally so we can walk out with it rigged up and ready I'm thinking single cam. Wiser buisquit rest, and she wants to shoot fingers, no r elease. I shoot a Martin and it's been a good bow but with 2 cams I've had timing issues from time to time.
I'm taking her shopping tomorrow morning.
Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs

Replies

• centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Honestly, And I am sure there are as many opinions out there about this as there are....But, I would see if I could find an old PSE at a pawnshop and go from there. Something cheap she can get a feel for...PSE is a good bow though. While it has been years since I actually shot at anything other than hay, I own a PSE.

Or, get as many friends that have bows to let her try them out until she gets an idea of what she wants. I don't know how strong your wife it, but I would start at around 50lbs and let her go from there.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    You know that whisker biscuit thing is a myth right....
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    There's others, his is the most entertaining.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    You know that whisker biscuit thing is a myth right....
    I'm not sure what you mean but I haven't seen any whiskers on a bisquit in years.
    I'm happily married now but 8n my singlhood, when I enquired about how well the shrubbery was manicured. I was usually told that everything below the eyebrows Was shaved. After a while you quit asking and just assume that to be the case.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    We were at Bass Pro all day and she must have shot 100 bows before she settled on a Bear.
    It's a nice bow and I'm pleased with her choice. We got shafts, broadleaf and it's all set up for her.
    Their bow dept. Guru is a young girl. I was impressed. She really knew her stuff and related to my wife well. Turns out she has her own pro shop.
    I also bought some 28 gauge shells and some pistol primers I needed plus a few other odds and ends
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    We were at Bass Pro all day and she must have shot 100 bows before she settled on a Bear.
    It's a nice bow and I'm pleased with her choice. We got shafts, broadleaf and it's all set up for her.
    Their bow dept. Guru is a young girl. I was impressed. She really knew her stuff and related to my wife well. Turns out she has her own pro shop.
    I also bought some 28 gauge shells and some pistol primers I needed plus a few other odds and ends

Well, range report when you can or an Arrow report, I reckon. Good luck to her.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    My wife wants one for her upcoming birthday. I want to buy locally so we can walk out with it rigged up and ready I'm thinking single cam. Wiser buisquit rest, and she wants to shoot fingers, no r elease. I shoot a Martin and it's been a good bow but with 2 cams I've had timing issues from time to time.
    I'm taking her shopping tomorrow morning.
    I'm not being a smart guy, but one that she likes and fits her well. Find a store where she can shoot different brands and models.
    It's the one she is most comfortable with that you purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    If she likes it and shoots it well, you did perfectly. There is no substitute for her actually shooting the bow and seeing if she likes it, yet many people think they can just read reviews and make a sound choice. What rest did she end up settling on?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    If she likes it and shoots it well, you did perfectly. There is no substitute for her actually shooting the bow and seeing if she likes it, yet many people think they can just read reviews and make a sound choice. What rest did she end up settling on?
    Whisker bisquet of course but it's a new kind I haven't seen. Supposed to be less resistance on the vanes.