Home Main Category Clubhouse

Flood problems for you?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Apparently Atlanta got their share of street flooding today (5/31) while the rain seems to have finally let up here in southwestern Texas. But there's still flooding in the outlying areas and a number of folks have drowned, thousands of vehicles flooded and ruined, and uncountable monetary losses, both in property and time spent with the damages.

We did okay here, as where we live is quite high crowned but the big city thoroughfare Allen Parkway was totally flooded last Monday. Here's a before and after of approximately the same area, so you can see this entire roadway was not just flooded but completely overwhelmed:

allen%20pky%202%20views.jpg

And a typical city intersection just a few blocks from where we live, a typically low-lying zone that always gets flooded, but this was ridiculous:

alabama%20and%20shepherd.jpg

I hope everyone in the rain soaked areas got thru the stuff okay, keep us posted, okay?

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks like a real mess there in Houston and other parts of Texas. Glad you are OK.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Naturally, the network news goes for the disaster areas, the "bleeds it leads" philosophy. And of course, vast areas of both city and country are untouched or just wet, not flooded. For example, it rained like hell on wheels all Memorial Day evening, lightning and thunder and sheets of rain from about 7pm till 3am where we live, yet the immediate area wasn't flooded at all. That street intersection photo shown above however is about a mile from our place and we're always passing thru there, but most folks who know the area also know that it's always flooded so they avoid the region, and go around a bit.

But that's easy for us to say, high and dry. Thousands of folks had their houses flooded, and per normal specs for living, lowlands that are prone to flooding are often populated by lower income folks who likely don't have flood insurance, so they lose everything. Thankfully, Texas is a very charitable state for helping neighbors and so there has been plenty of donations and so on.

I've lived in about every sort of potential disaster areas: tornado zone, flood or hurricane, and earthquake. Frankly, I'll take tornadoes over the other, since their destruction is on a narrow path and you do have plenty of warning. Earthquakes? It hits and you're stuck. And hurricanes destroy over such a wide zone that you're screwed regardless.

I do hope everyone in the forum is okay.