Home Main Category Clubhouse

When the ad says "Make an offer- - - - -"

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
I'm feeling just a little guilty right now, but I bet I'll get over it! A few days ago I was browsing Ebay, and noticed a lathe for sale that's almost a clone of the worn-out one I've been patching on for the pasty 15 years of so. The asking price was reasonable, bit there was also a "make an offer" option. I tossed out a lowball bid just to get the conversation started, and a few hours later I get an "offer accepted" notice!

This thing is as close to pristine as I've ever seen, almost like finding a new in the box, unfired pre-64 Model 70! It was owned by a Georgia Tech professor, and it was being sold as part of his estate. I just got back from Atlanta with it and it's about to get put to use making lots of curly metal shavings! Pics as soon as there's enough daylight! It's an Atlas/Craftsman 12" swing, 36" between centers, and if it's got 25 hours of operation since new, I'd be surprised! All the accessories for the lathe I'm currently using will be a drop-on fit, also!
Jerry

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,713 Senior Member
    Sometimes you just get lucky.:beer:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    Mr. Jerry, you must be living right!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    You really suck!!!
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Good find and you will put it to good use not sitting idle and rusting away. The late Prof would like that!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Don't feel guilty. You helped the Prof's family and will put his tool to good use.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Jerry, there's nothing to feel guilty about it, besides the old man will most likely be watching to see if your taking good care of it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,068 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Don't feel guilty. You helped the Prof's family and will put his tool to good use.
    :that: (On my 799 Grendel project :rotflmao: )
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I'm thinking about grafting the two sets of ways together on a VERY sturdy bench top (without doing permanent damage to either one) and having 5+ feet between centers. I've already got two steady rests and one follower rest for supporting LONG projects. If I need to build a driveshaft, etc. (or make a cannon barrel) the extra length would come in very handy. I could even use both carriage assemblies with only a very short area near the center where the tool bit travel wouldn't overlap. A reversible, variable speed gear motor could drive the second lead screw.
    Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I know that Atlas made a 54" bed, you might be able to find a 54" lead screw so you wouldn't have that overlap. Just a thought.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I know that Atlas made a 54" bed, you might be able to find a 54" lead screw so you wouldn't have that overlap. Just a thought.

JAY

Worth looking into- - -just reposition one rack gear so the carriage could travel over the splice effectively. Thanks!
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Great find!

I had a similar (but less dramatic) bit of luck on something I wanted. I wanted a short barrel for my Stoeger M2000 shotgun, but last time I checked, there had been no after-market stuff for it. I happened on to one, recently, at Midway, but wouldn't pay $200 because I really don't even need it. Since there were obviously after-market parts for Stoegers, now, I googled the part# and found a close-out sale that offered them for $49.99. Two days later plus $12 shipping, and I had it. Very cool.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Nice grab Jerry!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,821 Senior Member
    Don't forget your safety glasses and bubble wrap!!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Great find!

I had a similar (but less dramatic) bit of luck on something I wanted. I wanted a short barrel for my Stoeger M2000 shotgun, but last time I checked, there had been no after-market stuff for it. I happened on to one, recently, at Midway, but wouldn't pay $200 because I really don't even need it. Since there were obviously after-market parts for Stoegers, now, I googled the part# and found a close-out sale that offered them for $49.99. Two days later plus $12 shipping, and I had it. Very cool.

Two days for shipping? Mine should be here tomorrow or Tuesday then. I shall have to slip down to the LGS after work and look for a Fastfire.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Cool deal. I got a gun I deer rolling around in my haid bone
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Pictures or it did not happen... $5 fine pending!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Pictures or it did not happen

Still wrapped up tight on the trailer- - - -supposed to get a crew of **** laborers to carry it into the shop this evening!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Two days for shipping? Mine should be here tomorrow or Tuesday then. I shall have to slip down to the LGS after work and look for a Fastfire.

Yeah, I was getting pissed about not being able to track it, and UPS knocked on the door and handed it to me.