Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hawaii man impaled, killed by swordfish after jumping into water to catch fish, offic

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Dang, I reckon that is why they call them SWORDFISH.............:yikes::yikes:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/29/officials-hawaii-man-impaled-killed-by-fish-bill-after-jumping-in-water-to/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,086 Senior Member
    They need to get their stories straight....
    The fish was a swordfish about 3 feet long with a bill about 3 feet, the state Department of Land and Natural Resources said in a statement. It weighed about 40 pounds.
    Whitman estimates the fish was about 30 pounds. He says that type fish has a bill that can be up to a foot long.
    Half way through the article...
    Hawaii County police identified the victim as 47-year-old Randy Llanes of Kailua-Kona.
    and the articles ends with...
    The man's identity has not been released.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    30 lb? 3 feet long? That was a dink...

CNN's reporting the fish was 6 ft. long and weighed 40 lbs. But that seems light for the length. From what I've read one that long should be about 60 lbs.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/30/us/hawaii-swordfish-kills-fisherman/
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    "A witness told the fire department the man shot the fish with a spear gun"

I wonder if MAYBE he went to retrieve his spear and it also impaled him in the struggle or he reloaded and ......I dunno.

Was the Swordfish still impaled in his chest when they found him?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    That fish is a baby. It doesn't appear to even be big enough to keep by Florida regs.(47" fork to lower jaw) Since swordfish lack an opposing thumb and forefinger, their only means of self defense is their bill.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    "A witness told the fire department the man shot the fish with a spear gun"

I wonder if MAYBE he went to retrieve his spear and it also impaled him in the struggle or he reloaded and ......I dunno.

Was the Swordfish still impaled in his chest when they found him?
    Read the CNN article: the fish was speared, swam off, the line on the spear entangled around the anchor line, and the fish was basically steered back to the diver.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    I have often heard the saying that 'Those who live by the 'sword, die by the sword'................never realised that it was based on fact, or referred to fish.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Taking a spear gun to a sword fight appears to be ineffective.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    Darwin award!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    tennmike wrote: »
    Taking a spear gun to a sword fight appears to be ineffective.

Man, that just ain't right....................but funny as hell :tooth::roll2::roll2::roll2:
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Since swordfish lack an opposing thumb and forefinger, their only means of self defense is their bill.

Sounds like a liberal politician.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Unicorns returned to the seas from which they sprang, and evolved back into swordfish. That's really what happened.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Sometimes the sashimi wins.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    sometimes the sashimi wins.
    welcome back!!!!!!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Welcome Aboard
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    welcome back!!!!!!
    :that::agree:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    We've MISSED you

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Sometimes the sashimi wins.

Glad you're back! Sometimes you make me smile, and sometimes LOL. I miss that when you're not here.

Anybody besides me notice the Moby connection to this accident? Cap't Ahab spears the white whale. Spearfisherman spears the swordfish. Cap't Ahab gets tangled in the harpoon line. Spearfisherman gets spear line tangled in anchor line. Both die. :uhm:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams