Home Main Category Hunting

What the hell's this? A long range Cough Cough ......270 Win.?

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=tennmike;456783

]Stuff like this is the reason why the aliens won't contact us................................

And a .270 Win. is a .30-06 that was picked before it was ripe! Green fruit will give you a bellyache! :rotflmao:[/QUOTE]

Hey, you ain't supposed to eat the damn thing!!!

:silly::yikes::vomit:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I think we can all agree that getting a .270 to reach a deer at 482 yds., and even more amazingly have the energy to penetrate its skin, expand the bullet, and reach the vital organs, is a monumental feat that should be lauded.

Actually, I don't need to buy ammo for my .270, just the sight of it causes animals to die of fright in their footsteps,

:roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,396 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Actually, I don't need to buy ammo for my .270, just the sight of it causes animals to die of fright in their footsteps

There you go again Snake, mistaking a laughter-induced seizure for fear.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,889 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    There you go again Snake, mistaking a laughter-induced seizure for fear.
    If he does hit them they die of shame. What he thinks is an exit wound is actually deer seppuku....
    I'm just here for snark.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Actually, I don't need to buy ammo for my .270, just the sight of it causes animals to die of fright in their footsteps,

:roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:

BpS4E68oBkawm0TQPGLdbg2.jpg
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    BpS4E68oBkawm0TQPGLdbg2.jpg

Mike You're Freaking INSANE!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Darn near all the standard hunting cartridges will make 500 yards without a problem.

.260 Rem
    7mm-08 Rem
    .25-06
    .30-06
    etc.

482 yards is no great ballistic feat for many, many a cartridge.

If my short and stubby .308 Win can touch 800+ yards like it was yesterday...........you're gonna need more to impress than a deer at sub 500 with a .270 Winchester.

Just say'n.

I agree completely. Crap even the old 45/70-110's with their 8" tall rear sights were completely effective at 1000+yds. I think it's the shooters who are less capable than they were a century or more ago.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    HvyMax wrote: »
    I agree completely. Crap even the old 45/70-110's with their 8" tall rear sights were completely effective at 1000+yds. I think it's the shooters who are less capable than they were a century or more ago.

Hey, there's an idea! I won't worry about getting a tighter twist barrel and heavy expensive bullets. I'll just take the scope off that dude and put me an 8"Tall rear site on it. But I'll have to off set the sight or the bolt will hit it. Now why didn't I think of that???

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    If he does hit them they die of shame. What he thinks is an exit wound is actually deer seppuku....

That's cool, never thought about that, but really, I don't give a damn if they die because my bullet attracts humongous clouds of Mosquitoes that smother them to death, as long as pulling my trigger results in a DRT animal right where I shot him. And so far, my .270 has fulfilled that purpose as well as anything I own. Keep dreaming Cup Cake!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    Latest American Hunter has a lot of pics of stuff shot with a .270.

How could that be?????????????????
    NN wrote: »
    Latest American Hunter has a lot of pics of stuff shot with a .270.

How could that be?????????????????

Yeah, the miracles never cease! :yikes::fan::cool2:

:roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    That's cool, never thought about that, but really, I don't give a damn if they die because my bullet attracts humongous clouds of Mosquitoes that smother them to death, as long as pulling my trigger results in a DRT animal right where I shot him. And so far, my .270 has fulfilled that purpose as well as anything I own. Keep dreaming Cup Cake!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    What did you cull the hog in the butt with?
    I'm just here for snark.
    What did you cull the hog in the butt with?

I hit a hog in the but with my 30-06 with a 200 grain Game King and it came out the breast, or Brisket. I don't know if I just lucked out and missed any big bones, I don't remember doing a Zee Topsi, Just sort of casually checked it out. But it impressed hell out of me.

Now if you're talking about last year, I hit a deer in the butt with my .257 AI that I was trying to hit in the ribs on the right side (it was almost quartering to the right). It was sort of loping along toward the brush line of a tree mott and I had just a second to shoot without a great rest. I shot it low and it went in the lower left ham and hit the ham bone. That was a 115 grain bullet, a Combined Technologies Silver Ballistic Tip. The bullet never penetrated into the vitals, rather it just hit a big artery and it bled out. In its defense it did hit a massive bone. I really wasn't attempting a Texas Heart shot on that one. I don't think I'd do that on a deer. A hog? I don't care. Whatever is needed to bring it down, whether I find it or not.

My .270 has taken more than its share of deer, but only 3 hogs, by me at least, and they were all either DRT or ran about 15 or 20 yards in one case.
    Ah, okay.
    I'm just here for snark.
    Ah, okay.

Hey, same with my .280. I'm telling you guys for practicle hunting purposes there's no difference in the two. .007 inch don't change it. And as for using a so called limited bullet supply, a 30-30 Winchester, another hunting only cartridge, only has two real choices of bullets, yet it's probably killed more deer, or it had a few years ago, by estimates killed more whitetail deer than even a 30-06, with two bullets. And most of those two were either Remington Core Lokt or Winchester Power point, 150s an 170s.

The 270 and 280 with 130-140-150 grain bullets for 98% of us will kill anything on this continent with that range of bullets. And do it better than 90% of most. That's the reason the .270 is so popular, not market hype. it makes its own hype, and as the .280 finally gets the popularity it deserves more people will wake up to it as a better than average medium game cartridge. You don't need a 7 mag for whitetail deer. A .270 and a .280 will do better than just fine. I know this because I have both, and those two rifles would be the last two I would part with.