Home Main Category Personal Defense

Texas woman 1, thug 0

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Here's a heart warming story from the Houston area, in Crosby just north of town. A woman was stopped to get gas and a man jumped into the passenger seat with a knife, demanding money. She agreed, went to her purse but instead pulled out a pistol and shot the guy. He ran but was later arrested after collapsing. He'll be charged with aggravated robbery.

Note that in Texas, ALL intentional shootings must go to a grand jury, which is why the woman's case will be presented there. She's a concealed carry licensee and the county attorney will not be proferring charges and so the GJ case will be a done deal.

Don't mess with Texas women!

http://www.click2houston.com/news/woman-fights-back-shoots-robber-in-crosby/33433158

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Adding: This probably occurred when the woman shut off her engine, which in many vehicles, will automatically unlock the doors. This "feature" will usually lock the doors when you put the car in drive and start, and will unlock them when you shut off the ignition.

I don't WANT my doors unlocked if the ignition is shut off, which is why I had that "feature" disconnected.

A word of warning to those who drive along with their passenger door unlocked or let the ignition unlock the doors. Don't. Thugs wait for chances like that, and the gal was just lucky to be able to retrieve her pistol and shoot the thug. He might have just as well jammed that knife into her ribs when he got into the car, too.

I am however delighted in the surprise that must have come into the guy's mind when he saw that gun and felt the bullet. Joy unbounded.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    You can also keep your wits about you and your situational awareness up and not shut down if there are any unsavory types in your area. It's hard to sneak up on someone if they are paying attention.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Good advice, LM
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Most cars do the "unlock" thing when the shifter is placed into "Park". A sneaky work-around to prevent that from happening is to shut the engine off with the transmission still in gear, then place the shifter into the park position. It won't be possible to turn the key the way to the "lock" position until the shifter is in park, however. That's another "safety" feature to prevent locking the steering wheel and the shifter unless the vehicle isn't moving. Gotta make these cars idiot-proof, ya know!
    Jerry
    Like most of us, we've gone thru all those goofy shifter-park-start combos ad nauseum. For me it was simply easier to get the locking thing disconnected so I can choose when to lock and unlock without help from FMC.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member