Home Main Category Hunting

climber stands?

tubabucknuttubabucknut BannedPosts: 3,520 Senior Member
I have never used one, but am thinking of getting a few. Any brands to avoid? I will probably buy used. What should I look for? Is the strapping replaceable? What features do I need?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    My cousin uses them...I'm too old....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    If you want to go with a cadillac, Summit is about top of the line. I've got two Summit vipers and love them and most of my friends that hunt climbers swear by Summit also. They are very stable and well built, and comfortable. I like to drop the seat really low on mine and it's comfortable enough to fall asleep and not worry about falling out of it. I've used API and they are ok and for a little less money than Summit. I would avoid the cheap chinese knock offs that you can but at CTD or Sportsmans Guide and I would look for aluminum rather than steel. A couple of pounds makes a big difference when you're toting it for a while.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I used them for years, bought one at Sportsmen Guide, as I remember it was the cheapest one they had, it worked great, one of my hunting buddies got the same stand 2 years ago, he told me it was about $100.00 on sale, the safety harness isn't worth a damn, my harness is a Tree Spider, great harness, I don't use the climber anymore as its to heavy (40 lbs.) for me to carry back thru the swamps, I now use a lightweight aluminum ladder stand (17lbs.). I'd advise anyone using a tree stand to get a good harness and use it.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    As fisheadgib said, Summit is pretty Gucci as far as climbers go. I've owned one of their Razor SS climbers for years. In fact, the biggest deer I got with my bow this year was shot from that stand. They are relatively light and very sturdy once set up. The wear parts, like the rubber-coated climbing cable, have not changed in design in years. They are sold as replacement parts and the ones they sell now are exactly the same as the one on my 8 year-old climber. That said, it's never needed replacing, nor has any other part on the stand.

To be honest, I always prefer a fixed positions stand like a ladder stand, or a hang-on stand with climbing sticks, when it's feasible. They are much faster to get into, a *lot* quieter to ascend and using a safety rope with your harness is easier to execute. However, you aren't always going to be able to place a semi-permanent stand like that. A climber with a climb-along safety rope is the perfect answer to that issue.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have and have used three, two I made and a Baker. With the two I made, you sit behind the tree, facing it. I like that concept because it helps with concealment and it allows you to steady your aim by leaning against the tree. The Baker is light weight and comfortable. You sit with your back against the tree and has a bar in front, to lean over or against to steady your aim.........Robin

PS: If you get a climber. tie the two pieces, seat and foot perch, together, that way the foot perch can't start back down the tree without you. Don't ask how I know about this.......rlc
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Try a "tree Lounge". It comes in handy when the drowsies set in- - - -no way to nod off and take a swan dive to the end of the safety harness rope. Nothing like waking up to see half a dozen deer playing tag right under your tree!
    Jerry
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I have and have used three, two I made and a Baker. With the two I made, you sit behind the tree, facing it. I like that concept because it helps with concealment and it allows you to steady your aim by leaning against the tree. The Baker is light weight and comfortable. You sit with your back against the tree and has a bar in front, to lean over or against to steady your aim.........Robin

PS: If you get a climber. tie the two pieces, seat and foot perch, together, that way the foot perch can't start back down the tree without you. Don't ask how I know about this.......rlc

Robin is right and that situation can become a pretty big deal in a hurry when you're 20+ feet up off the ground. The Summit climbers actually include a light duty tether rope for this exact purpose.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,075 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    My cousin uses them...I'm too old....
    AND, in my case, too FAT as well.

I do have a ladder stand I some times used, otherwise I use shooting houses on the ground, or not up very far (4-5')
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    If you want to go with a cadillac, Summit is about top of the line. I've got two Summit vipers and love them and most of my friends that hunt climbers swear by Summit also. They are very stable and well built, and comfortable. I like to drop the seat really low on mine and it's comfortable enough to fall asleep and not worry about falling out of it. I've used API and they are ok and for a little less money than Summit. I would avoid the cheap chinese knock offs that you can but at CTD or Sportsmans Guide and I would look for aluminum rather than steel. A couple of pounds makes a big difference when you're toting it for a while.

Have to agree on the Summit Viper, if you are going to pack in and out every time this is the one to get. Very light weight, strong and VERY comfortable. I personally don't care for the climbers the past few years, as I am too old and fat for these things. I have a cheap heavy steel one that the boy uses every once in a while, but that thing would wear me out taking it in and out of the wood all time. If you keep it on the tree and not have to haul in and out it wouldn't be too bad for one of the heavier ones.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks for all the insights. I got some time before hunting season to look for what I need. I will keep an eye out for a Summit in good condition for the right price.
    One other thing you should note about both the Summit Viper and Razor series stands: they both have a feature I consider a must-have. That is, they are both sit-down/stand-up climbers. That bar that goes all the way around the perimeter of the seat allows you to sit completely down while climbing the tree and makes a HUGE difference in how easy it is to do so, especially for older guys. Some stands don't have the bar and require you to lean forward into the armrests to get leverage. This take a lot of abdominal strength and will wear you down quickly. Being able to sit down on that bar takes away so much of the effort and I wouldn't even consider a stand without it.

Some folks think that it obstructs your ability to shoot - especially from others who bow hunt - but in my experience with the Razor (which has a low-sitting, swing-away bar that I never bother to actually swing away) it has never been an issue. This is coming from a guy who is only 5'7" and doesn't like to stand up to take the shot unless it's absolutely required due to a brush obstruction. The only times I have ever spooked deer from a treestand were the handful of times when I went had no choice but to stand up, so I take the ability to take a sitting shot pretty seriously. If the bar caused an issue with this, I wouldn't want it.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Too much brush to use an elevated stand down here. I'm on the llground in a make shift PVC blind with camo netting stretched around it sitting on a milk carton or a 5 gal. bucket. There are a couple places that a tree climbing blind would work here, but not until toward the end of the season when most of the trees have shed their leaves.

There is one elevated blind in my hunting area on the sendero, but I don't like it there. I like where I set up because it's close to where I see the deer crossing. Sometimes they won't cross within 400-500 yards of that blind. I've killed does and small bucks there, but the big bucks seem to keep their distance from that blind.

Edited to Add: Besides, you need good trees to use a stand like that. Here there's a very few trees you could use a tree stand and most of them don't offer the best shots. Now, my son in law and I want to build some off ground blinds in the few areas they would be beneficial. But that's gonna be a real Job. And materials will be expensive.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,157 Senior Member
    I don't know the brand, but I knew a guy who took his kids hunting in a double ladder stand and it had bicycle wheels on it........ Sorta like this.

wheelladder.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    cpj wrote: »
    My API, with the bar in front.....you ain't shooting a bow from it seated. It's not low like the Summit.
    That's the distinct beauty of the Razor SS/SD: that bar is so low, it's really not necessary to swing it back to allow for a seated shot. Like you said, it sits so low, but still allows for sit-up/stand-up operation.
    My API, with the bar in front.....you ain't shooting a bow from it seated. It's not low like the Summit.

It isn't happening in my Summit either, you would have to stand for a shot. The chair sits to low and the bar would be in your way.
    One good thing about the front rail, if you happen to nod off it will stop you before your harness does. :tooth:

No doubt, I feel very safe and stable in my Viper and I have fallen asleep a few times, very comfy!
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    Summit Viper SD..........easy to set up and very comfortable. Never felt unsafe in it.

Another is Treewalker stands
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks again for the responses guys. I have been crazy busy with work, but have been lurking and keeping updated.