Home Main Category General Firearms

Embrace The Truth - Catastrophic Gun Failure

1789101113»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    JBOhio can confirm or deny this;), I don't recall that he had to clean his scope when he opened up his noggin.

Getting kissed hard with a scope vs. gouging your eye out with a scope/whatever implies a greater deal of force and initial tearing of flesh. I'd bet there was something left on the scope after that level of impact force.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Getting kissed hard with a scope vs. gouging your eye out with a scope/whatever implies a greater deal of force and initial tearing of flesh. I'd bet there was something left on the scope after that level of impact force.

I did not catch that his eye was gouged, I thought just that the impact caused injury that made him lose his sight.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I did not catch that his eye was gouged, I thought just that the impact caused injury that made him lose his sight.

Just going by amount of blood shown in that one picture. I'm assuming it gouged his eye hard enough that it caused severe damage.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Just going by amount of blood shown in that one picture. I'm assuming it gouged his eye hard enough that it caused severe damage.

Again, there's nothing to proove that the blood is from an injury rather than having dressed a moose.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I don't think the post is titled correctly, It should have been;
    "Catastrophic owner failure" ,

I think it should be titled "Embrace the Truth- Catastrophic THREAD Failure
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    I think it should be titled "Embrace the Truth- Catastrophic THREAD Failure

Like one of those rockets destined for outer space that blows up on the launch pad.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I had an opportunity to buy a Remington 700 in 7 Mag. at the LGS one opening day that had a grand total of one round fired. There was a pretty good accumulation of eyebrow hair and blood on the back end of the scope. The guy had swapped it even for a used .30-30!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    I had an opportunity to buy a Remington 700 in 7 Mag. at the LGS one opening day that had a grand total of one round fired. There was a pretty good accumulation of eyebrow hair and blood on the back end of the scope. The guy had swapped it even for a used .30-30!
    Jerry

I bought a Savage .338 Win. Mag. rifle for $150 below the retail price paid because of a similar incident. My oldest nephew bought the rifle for a moose hunt in Canada, and failed to heed my advice to back up off the scope. Nailed him hard and cut a nice deep crescent over his eyebrow. Lens and rubber ocular ring had a good deal of blood and other 'bits' stuck to them. He wanted rid of it NOW! so I obliged. And I removed the cheap scope he had mounted on it for one with a bit more eye relief, because I don't like getting my eye dotted. I learned a long time ago that pain hurts, so I avoid the possibility of it whenever possible. :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member
    Like one of those rockets destined for outer space that blows up on the launch pad.

And yet, it's reached fourteen pages. Hasn't gone the way the OP intended, I don't think, but I also don't think you can really say it blew up on the launch pad. One thing SEEMS certain...People love a train wreck.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I do not love a train wreck, I love avoiding train wrecks.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I do not love a train wreck, I love avoiding train wrecks.

In my analogy, this thread is a train wreck. By posting here, you have failed to avoid said train wreck.

If you're calling the allegedly failed rifle a train wreck, then yeah, I believe I will likely avoid cheap break-action rifles in magnum calibers, just to be on the safe side. Some may call that being overly cautious, but I've got enough other toys for now, if I feel the need to step up to a big-boy caliber I'll save up until I can afford something with a respectable safety margin. And if I choose to reload for it, I'll keep it within SAAMI specs, or accept and keep the consequences to myself.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    You did not prove I love a train wreck.

The one thing I never did like about those single shot rifles and magnum calibers is the small margin of safety in the event something bad does happen, only the chamber area of the barrel stands between you and disaster, a narrow wall of Ordnance steel, easy to machine, whereas a Mauser rifle chamber is reinforced by a hardened steel receiver. Another aspect is a cheap stock on many single shot rifles, not what you want in a magnum chambered rifle, that and too light weight, all that recoil energy has to get dumped somewhere, the shooters shoulder, through that cheap light stock perhaps ?????
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    I didn't claim to prove that you, specifically, love a train wreck. I merely stated that by posting here (at least twice), you have failed to avoid a train wreck.
    toymachine wrote: »
    I didn't claim to prove that you, specifically, love a train wreck. I merely stated that by posting here (at least twice), you have failed to avoid a train wreck.

He's a spectator, in denial, driving by the train wreck slowly, and commenting to anyone present that he doesn't like train wrecks, and then telling how he'd avoid wrecking a train! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I avoid avoidance whenever possible.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    This is why God made Bolt Guns. This is why he created people like the Mauser Brothers and Mike Walker at Remington, and that guy that came up with the original Savage 110, and guys like Roy Weatherby , and Bill Ruger, to build strong, quality Bolt guns. Hi pressure magnum cartridges? Bring em on. Dangerous Game? Bring in a heard of elephants and Cape Buffs, bring em on. The bolt gun was built for this stuff.

Stuff like 30-30s and even 45-70s? OK the TC and NEF break guns are fine. But if you want big missile launchers, get a bolt gun or bring enough money for a fine break open gun such as an H&H or Purdy or one of those other mega priced rifles.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member

He just needs to post a picture of his face now. The scarring would at least lend to speculation about what part of the rifle hit him.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    He ended up with a discussion and train bamage !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk