Home Main Category General Firearms

Academy sports may be enabling an AK47 purchase...

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
Or even an AK74.

They sell their "Monarch" branded ammo (mfg in Serbia by PPU) in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 for less than $8 per 20. Century Arms imported "N-PAP" AK pattern rifles (M70 Yugo pattern with modern size buttstocks) can be had sub-$600. A little Magpul furniture and Midwest Industries hand guard and I'd be in bid'ness.

Or keep saving towards an M1A Scout Squad which I persistently lust for...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    My shooting bud just got a VZ 2008 for around $400. Got a folding stock and it's a striker-fired weapon, it looks vaguely AK-ish, but it isn't. We shot it this weekend, quite accurate and shot cheap ammo without a stutter. I don't like the folding tubular stock, but he'd wrapped it with something and it felt better. The folder is handy, got to admit.

Around here, 20 rounds of steel-cased ammo is $5.50 or so at Academy, which is one reason my bud sold his Mini 14 and replaced it with the VZ. I don't know the brand. Until they ran out, Century Arms had the VZs with 5 magazines for $400, which is a good buy...but they've run out of them. Century replaces the barrel and receiver like they do on a lot of imports.

I'm no great fan of 7.62 x 39 rifles, but if I was looking for a rifle in that caliber, I'd certainly give that one a look-see.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I have the scout squad, and several AKs. I much prefer the M1A. I am thinking of selling out of all my AK stuff. I am truly bored with the platform, and I build them from scratch.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Wasn't Academy one of the stores that joined the "Hide the EBR's" panic after Newtown? How soon we forget!
    :roll:
    Jerry
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Wasn't Academy one of the stores that joined the "Hide the EBR's" panic after Newtown? How soon we forget!
    Jerry

Uhh...I would have to know first to forget. :uhm:
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    I have the scout squad, and several AKs. I much prefer the M1A. I am thinking of selling out of all my AK stuff. I am truly bored with the platform, and I build them from scratch.

Well, to interject a bit of cynicism: if you had to fight with it, you wouldn't be bored with it. I want to have one as a home defense / natural disaster aftermath defense weapon.

The M1A is more of a useful "want". A useful uber-want...
    Jerry

The important thing to me is they have EBRs now. Nothing personal, strictly business.
    Well, as I said I prefer the M1A. Distrust aside, don't waste the money on the AK. You already have an AR, or many right? You really think the AK is all that? It isn't. It is just another carbine. Buy one and dump a bunch of money into it, and you will realize you have a weapon, that will not do anything your AR won't. The M1A on the other hand will.

Knock yourself out though and get what you want. It would appear the mind is made up anyway.
    Well, as I said I prefer the M1A. Distrust aside, don't waste the money on the AK. You already have an AR, or many right? You really think the AK is all that? It isn't. It is just another carbine. Buy one and dump a bunch of money into it, and you will realize you have a weapon, that will not do anything your AR won't. The M1A on the other hand will.

Knock yourself out though and get what you want. It would appear the mind is made up anyway.

The mind is not made up. 50/50 at best.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    The AK platform has one advantage an AR does not, the AK has that honking big button on its receiver cover that lets you pop it off in the event of a jam, some AR jams are harder to clear if the bolt carrier locks up in the buffer tube, a vigorous thump straight down on the butt often clears, but not always.....

Over all, I prefer the ARs because of user versatility, quick barrel caliber changes and you can use 7.62x39 ammo, yes, I would prefer an AR in 7.62x39......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    You should get an AK. It's one of those guns that everyone should have. Heck, get two :)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Two things I don't like about AKs are the safety is not ergonomically located; it's on the wrong side. Also, they don't have a bolt hold-open on the last round. And the sights are open irons, and the sighting radius is short, and the rifle isn't accurate enough (sights included) to blow up my skirt. The magazines are steel and weigh too much and so does the rifle. Come to think of it, there isn't much I DO like about it. They're reliable; that's about it. Currently, ammo is cheap.

With an AR, you can go wild on useful modifications and if you have enough $$$ built a target rifle. With an AK, you're stuck with an AK and except for putting some kind of plastic furniture, it is what it is. You don't see them much in rifle matches where ARs are there in force shooting at extreme ranges.

Given all their faults, I'd rather have an AK than a M1A scout rifle, or whatever they're called. I don't need a carbine-length .308 and all the unpleasantness that goes with the short barrel. Many of the faults listed above for the AK are pretty much the same for the M 14/1-A except the sights are better and the safety is much better. OTOH, I don't think they're all that reliable. And ammo is pretty expensive.

Currently, I'm out of a high-capacity rifle (HCR, to avoid the word "Assault Rifle") for the first time in many years. I don't have any immediate plans to buy one, either. If I felt the need to defend my home with a rifle, I'd get a cheap, reliable one, given that I hate to "waste" ammo and likely wouldn't shoot it much. Since I don't see that in the few years left to me, I'll have to fight off invaders and sassy bandits with my pistol. My war-fighter days are over.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Jerry

I think that you have them confused with Dicks Sporting Goods. The Academy in Pensacola didn't change anything.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,086 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I think that you have them confused with Dicks Sporting Goods. The Academy in Pensacola didn't change anything.
    I don't recall the one here in T'town changing anything either (Other than limits on ammo) Dicks and I believe "Cheaper than dirt" hid them,

I KNOW CTD was raping folks on P-mags, Had the screenshot saved pre-harddrive crash, I seem to remember they were advertising them for $50-60/ea during the panic and I think even more during the peak of it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Jerry

I think that was "Richards sporting goods" that bowed to the pressure. I don't know anything about Academy.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    Well, I am one who is happy with my AK. It is a Serbian Zastava N-PAP and it has not failed once in a year and a half of regular shooting, and will hit minute-of-man all day long at 75-100 yds. I did have to originally "shop" carefully though, I probably handled at least 4 AK's before I chose this one. Most of the Romanian WASR's I've seen were junk. Fun, reliable, tough, cheap to run, effective. Granted, not ergonomically comfortable in every way. I want another one in the under-folder version.
    Most of the Romanian WASR's I've seen were junk
    I have 4 WASRs that shoot 1.5-2 moa with red dots. That is significantly better than "minute of man" as you say.
    I want another one in the under-folder version.
    Under folders offer no cheek weld when the stock is deployed. I would suggest a side folder if you wish to have a more compact rifle. Additionally, most side folders are much faster to deploy than the under folder variety.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I had a Norinco under folder stock AK because I wanted the shortest then possible AK, and it served its intended purpose well, I could shoot it with the stock folded, the AR platform is still more versatile and functional.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I don't recall the one here in T'town changing anything either (Other than limits on ammo) Dicks and I believe "Cheaper than dirt" hid them,

I KNOW CTD was raping folks on P-mags, Had the screenshot saved pre-harddrive crash, I seem to remember they were advertising them for $50-60/ea during the panic and I think even more during the peak of it.

I too believe it was Academy that for a short time took them off the shelves. IIRC, so did Wal Mart and just about every national chain. But I don't know, and don't hold it against them if they did. If I boycotted every store that offended me, I'd probably go naked and starve to death.