I can't shoot anymore

BuffcoBuffco Senior MemberPosts: 6,244 Senior Member
Serious. Crack jokes later.

I know, shooting is a perishable skill. And I'm the world's greatest at owning enough firearms to supply a small army yet never shooting them.

I've shot two or three times in the past 12 months and became very dismayed. My bone stock CZ 550 .270, which shot a 5/8" group with factory ammo... Now I can't put 3 in a two inch circle.

My heart thumps out of my chest. Always has. I cannot stop the cross hairs from bouncing 88 times per minute. I get the breathing, good rest, everything but the thumping.

My K31, hell, I couldn't hit a pie plate at 50 yards. My Winchester 88 in 243, while it may not be a sub moa rifle, should do much better than I was capable of that day.

What do I do? I always considered myself a fair shot as a teenager and into my twenties, but I'm slipping now.

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,252 Senior Member
    Get a good .22 or pellet rifle to practice. Plus dry fire practice.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    I've got three 22s. A Marlin 60 that one had since I was 14, a CZ Lux which will shoot lights out at any distance, and a Marlin 882? 883? in 22 mag.

The 60 is scoped with a fixed 4x Simmons, and the magnum is scoped with its 3x9 brother scope. The Lux isn't scoped.
    How well do you shoot those, assuming you can get ammo?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    I've got three 22s. A Marlin 60 that one had since I was 14, a CZ Lux which will shoot lights out at any distance, and a Marlin 882? 883? in 22 mag.

The 60 is scoped with a fixed 4x Simmons, and the magnum is scoped with its 3x9 brother scope. The Lux isn't scoped.

Good now go shooting with them.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,125 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »

Buffy...
    Get a good .22 or pellet rifle to practice. Plus dry fire practice.
    HAVING them doesn't mean squadouche, get out and practice with them
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Post them fer sale on here in the Classifieds :tooth:

Start practicing with the .22s and it will come back to you, eventually. Use it or lose it, I reckon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    How well do you shoot those, assuming you can get ammo?
    When I was shooting them? I'd say very well. I'm no Pegasus, but squirrels weren't safe.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    :agree:

What Wambli said. If you can find them the green or tan army men about two inches tall make great targets.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    That's it, you're done, the gift is gone and it's never coming back. Send your guns to me where they at least will have a chance at a decent life.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Shooting IS a perishable skill, but just like riding a bike you don't go down to square one. Take one of your scoped .22s to the bench and go through a few boxes of ammo, NOT SHOOTING FOR GROUPS. Just gave some fun with it and re-learn to relax!!! Shoot some fun targets like spinners or some cans on strings. Get a box of cheap vanilla wafers and used them as reactive targets. Take all the serious out if the range session, then go back to shooting for effect. You'll do much better.
    Teddy Roosevelt's Latino doppelganger speaks the truth.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,958 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    That's it, you're done, the gift is gone and it's never coming back. Send your guns to me where they at least will have a chance at a decent life.

You do realize what you just told him will ruin your reputation. One of his main guns is a....a......a .270,

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    You do realize what you just told him will ruin your reputation. One of his main guns is a....a......a .270,

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

It may be tainted but it can still be rebar relied and retrained to shoot like a manly rifle!
    :devil:
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,858 Senior Member
    It happens, life gets in the way, skills get rusty, but they'll come back, just have to knock the rust off and get back at it.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Shooting IS a perishable skill, but just like riding a bike you don't go down to square one. Take one of your scoped .22s to the bench and go through a few boxes of ammo, NOT SHOOTING FOR GROUPS. Just gave some fun with it and re-learn to relax!!! Shoot some fun targets like spinners or some cans on strings. Get a box of cheap vanilla wafers and used them as reactive targets. Take all the serious out if the range session, then go back to shooting for effect. You'll do much better.

I only shoot for groups when setting up or something changes.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The WW II vets who ran the Boy Scout camp rifle range I attended back in the 1950's used the oldtime anagram "BRASS" when teaching us how to shoot.

B- - - -breathe- - - -Take a full breath, or several to get your body well-oxygenated. Let out half a breath and hold it.

R- - - -relax- - - -don't tense up

A - - - -aim- - - -get a good sight picture

S- - - -slack- - - -we were using military .22 trainers with 2-stage triggers. (Wish I had one now!)

S- - - -squeeze- - - -let the round be somewhat of a surprise when it fires.

If you start to tense up or you get hypoxic as you hold your breath, start the whole cycle over again. With a little practice, you should be able to squeeze off a pretty steady shot within 5-10 seconds of starting the sequence. We used the same basic drill when I was on the University of Tennessee ROTC smallbore target team in the mid-1960's.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Yep, he probably still has as the first box of ammo he ever bought for each of his guns with ammo left over. :tooth:

Buffy, you can get get back into the swing of shootin, but you just have to shoot more!

Like sex, you may get rusty, but before long and after the first couple times you restart and you knock the cobwebs off and get down to business, it will come back naturally.

Before long you will be banging away like you never stopped!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,381 Senior Member
    I only shoot groups.

I take a Beta blocker, have since about 1978 and it's great for heart-thump control, and not bad for BP, either. The thing to shooting is to get your head into it and not flinch. Easy enough to say, and not all that hard to do if you take precautions. Wear a pad, if you must. I wear a shooting jacket when I shoot anything above a .223 and it gives me tremendous confidence, dulls my pulse, and negates recoil. I don't flinch when shooting like a 30-06, which is about the heaviest rifle I own. I'm recoil sensitive.

Since I don't hunt or even shoot that much, all that padding in the shooting coat is very comfortable (if somewhat hot.) It's kinda expensive, although not prohibitively costly. I got it when I considered High Power, another dream down the drain.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I've read the thread, still, I'm unclear on exactly what the problem is.
    If it's eyesight, then while I feel your pain. All I can think of is put a scope on it. Then use a good front rest and rear bag.
    I always enjoyed your milsurp range reports. At one time you were posting about a scout scope scenario whereby the rear sight was removed and you had found a source for a scope mount that was designed to fit where the rear sight went I'd be very interested in a link if you have one.
    My eyes are such that if I can't scope a rifle then it's hard for me to be interested.
    Then there's handguns. I'm not so anal about group size.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Lots of great advice here. But above all, if you want to shoot really well, you go to the range and practice. A 22 of course is way cheaper and will get you to your potential, but whatever you do, practice-practice-practice, and when you get tired of that, Practice some more. But seriously, once you get back in form, just be consistent. You don't have to shoot everyday or even every week. But at least shoot every 10 days to 2 weeks. I find if I lay off shooting for over a month I lose a lot. I start flinching. If I shoot a lot I get over the flinch. But I can lay off a month and the flinch comes back. Flinch is NOT your friend.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,392 Senior Member
    I am almost certain Buffy's problem is lack of range time. Time to get the rimfires out!
    If it's eyesight, then while I feel your pain. All I can think of is put a scope on it. Then use a good front rest and rear bag.
    I always enjoyed your milsurp range reports. At one time you were posting about a scout scope scenario whereby the rear sight was removed and you had found a source for a scope mount that was designed to fit where the rear sight went I'd be very interested in a link if you have one.
    My eyes are such that if I can't scope a rifle then it's hard for me to be interested.
    Then there's handguns. I'm not so anal about group size.

Oh me neither. I know some people and some on here that are anal over hand gun group size. Man that's something that doesn't even exist on my planet. If I can hit a pie plate at 20 yards I'm cookin baby! That's bad guy in the face accuracy and that's all i need. My eyes aren't good enough for such Anality, :roll2:
    timc wrote: »
    It may be tainted but it can still be rebar relied and retrained to shoot like a manly rifle!
    :devil:

:roll2::roll2::roll2::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::roll2::roll2::roll2:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,113 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am almost certain Buffy's problem is lack of range time. Time to get the rimfires out!

This, and too much head space filled with kids, work, wife, farming, parents, and whatever else mucks up your day, you should see my sporting clays score sheet tonight, clear your mind young jedi, practice.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    Yep, fire for effect...

Stop thinking of goats when you are at the range..................that 'thumping' of the heart will go away. ( That's one of the reasons I don't have a range where there are grazing shee...............wait, what?)

Others have already given you some good tips........shooting a lot of .22 seems to help my range time......and not shooting at targets but more pop cans, steel gongs, thistle heads etc. The more I shoot .22's, the more relaxed I am and the easier it is to control my breathing and heart rate.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    Lots of good advice here..especially the part about stress and clearing your mind. I would also suggest you look at your caffeine intake, and like many of us your getting older so may be good idea to get a heart check just to rule it out.
    cpj wrote: »
    I didn't know you were Austrailan?

Bloody Australians hacking my account damnit !!!!!!!
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I didn't know you were Austrailan?

Trans-Tasman eh, all tarred with the same brush?

Bit racist there Cobber, say what?

orchidman wrote: »
    Bloody Australians......

Look how far they have come.

img_5838-e1331913662853.jpg?w=620

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

shush wrote: »
    Trans-Tasman eh, all tarred with the same brush?

Bit racist there Cobber, say what?

Look how far they have come.

img_5838-e1331913662853.jpg?w=620

New place up the road from me is a fast food ready roast place. Walked past it the other day and they had roast beef with roast veges and gravy.........served on your choice of fried rice or noodles...........Owned by Asians I am picking lol.

I think they call it 'Paqcific Rim Fusion' food...........
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    .......I think they call it 'Paqcific Rim Fusion' food...........

Do they still have the roo in the stew.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Oh well, give up shooting and sell your guns and the safe.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.