Shot my first WWII British Sterling

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,633 Senior Member
Shot my first WWII British Sterling full auto machine gun this past weekend. My step son’s dad brought his out to the ranch with a few thousand rounds of 9mm to shoot. I believe the clip holds 33 to 35 rounds. Being a lefty I was at a bit of a disadvantage. The right hand shooters were able to hold onto the mag sticking out to control the recoil lift when empting a mag. I found I didn’t have great control and had to shoot it in short burst which was probably 10 rounds at a time.

I have a full size 1/2” thick steel hog target with a kill zone swinging door. When the first round would hit the door the door swung open and you could see the other rounds hitting behind the target through the door opening. Then the door would close and another round would reopen it. It was just really cool shooting something almost 70 years old. It was very simplistic in design but functioned flawlessly.

I look forward to shooting it again.
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I fired one a neighbor of the old man's owned. Mrs Chief fired it too back in the 90s. Heavy **** fer a 9mm. Fun as all get out though. Also a full auto M-1 .30 Carbine, more fun.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    M-2 Carbine
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    The old open bolts were heavy because the weight of the bolt is what makes it work. I remember a few years ago getting that old familiar feeling from my friends Uzi.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    You suck! I would love to play with a full auto sterling.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    M-2 Carbine

Correct, the full-auto capable version of the M-1.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Dan beat me to it, rats.... The M-2 carbine is quite the sweet bit of ordnance.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Shot my first WWII British Sterling.

The Sterling did not replace the Sten in active service until the late 50s early 60s

Still, very cool all the same. :cool: :up: :worthy: And a "you suck"

Very much missed by those that did.
    I believe the clip holds 33 to 35 rounds.

Let us not go there. :tooth:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    I seem to remember reading that the Sten cost about $9 per unit to manufacture - a brilliant adjustment to wartime shortages. Our own low-budget M3 grease gun cost nearly $20, and we didn't get all the 'bugs' out till very late in the war. It reportedly was still being issued sparingly during the first Gulf War.
    bisley wrote: »
    Our own low-budget M3 grease gun cost nearly $20, and we didn't get all the 'bugs' out till very late in the war. It reportedly was still being issued sparingly during the first Gulf War..........................The Sterling also.

The new SA80 did not perform reliably in the sandy conditions met in the Gulf, with overheating a tendency to jam.

Actually reports appeared that what happen in the Gulf, happen in Wales on training.

Front line units moved to procure as many SLRs, Brens, GPMGs and Sterling they could fine.( the Falklands War armoury in fact.)

Quote," The older generation of weapons seemed to be designed for reliability and for functioning in adverse conditions." Unquote. :roll:

The SA80 A2, re- manufactured in house by Heckler & Koch, is a totally different beast.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,151 Senior Member
    In my circles, I've been lucky enough to get to play with a number of full autos over the years, and the STEN was one of my favorites. The slow rate of fire guns like that usually are - I typically walk away feeling that their engineers "got it" a lot more than the eggheads who cooked up the faster running guns. If you have to square up and brace your body in order to keep the gun from taking you for a ride, you lose a lot of the supposed advantages of full auto anyway. Unless you're bolting it to a hardpoint, 350-500RPM is plenty.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    and the STEN was one of my favorites........

Heard tell the Australian Owen was the best of the bunch, looked like a Sten but the magazine was straight up.

Used in Vietnam in the 60's.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,240 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I seem to remember reading that the Sten cost about $9 per unit to manufacture - a brilliant adjustment to wartime shortages. Our own low-budget M3 grease gun cost nearly $20, and we didn't get all the 'bugs' out till very late in the war. It reportedly was still being issued sparingly during the first Gulf War.
    I knew someone who was a tanker about the time of the First Gulf War and he said his issued weapon was a Grease Gun.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,370 Senior Member
    The Sten (portmanteau of STerling and ENfield) was a good cheap subgun. However, it jammed in the assassination of Reinhardt Heydrich in 1942 by Czech/British resistance fighters, where a bomb was required to fill out the mission. What happened to cause the failure to fire, we'll never know. Any weapon can have the occasional misfire, but they always seem to happen in the most crucial situations.

I've fired a few subguns with both open-bolt and closed-bolt designs. The closed-bolt is much more accurate on the first round. My favorite subguns were the Uzi for concealability and the MP 5 for accuracy and design. Both are probably obsolete by now. Our Uzis were suppressed, very quiet and accurate enough.

Hopefully the changes in the Sterling made it more reliable. As well as more accurate (for a subgun.)
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    The suppressed MP-5 was a fave and special requistion / issue / SW / JTF units.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,633 Senior Member
    Great history lesson folks. I have nothing to go by as this was my first time firing a full auto machine gun. It was totally cool and I hope to do it again. As for accuracy, I'm truly not sure that played into the equation for me. As I said being a lefty it was much harder to control the lift as to why I had to use short bursts, though I'm sure with practice I could have gotten very good with it. My observation with this gun which was very short would have been to spray an area with lots of bullets (cover fire) or shoot at the enemy or a group of enemy solders.

Here's a question, what is the measurement of accuracy for a fully auto machine gun for WWII and for today?
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 290 Member
    MG 42 :)
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A friend has the STG-44 his uncle shipped back to the USA a piece at a time during the occupation of postwar Germany, but he has to keep it hidden- - - -no paper trail!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,946 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I fired one a neighbor of the old man's owned. Mrs Chief fired it too back in the 90s. Heavy **** fer a 9mm. Fun as all get out though. Also a full auto M-1 .30 Carbine, more fun.
    I think that's an M-2 if I'm not wrong.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    ..... if I'm not wrong.

You are not wrong, snake.

Blind as a bat, but not wrong. :devil: :tooth: :rotflmao::rotflmao:

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,370 Senior Member
    Great history lesson folks. I have nothing to go by as this was my first time firing a full auto machine gun. It was totally cool and I hope to do it again. As for accuracy, I'm truly not sure that played into the equation for me. As I said being a lefty it was much harder to control the lift as to why I had to use short bursts, though I'm sure with practice I could have gotten very good with it. My observation with this gun which was very short would have been to spray an area with lots of bullets (cover fire) or shoot at the enemy or a group of enemy solders.

Here's a question, what is the measurement of accuracy for a fully auto machine gun for WWII and for today?

Well, to be pedantic, it's not a machine gun, it's a submachine gun. A machine gun fires a full rifle round and is crew-served. In criminal law, it's a "machine gun" in the same way an AR 15 is an "assault rifle." But in real life, it's a subgun.

Accuracy can be pretty iffy with an open-bolt weapon. The weight of that bolt going forward can push you off target. And they're not a 100 yard gun so MOA is kinda meaningless. So I'd say at 50 yards, probably five inches or so, maybe less. The Uzi I shot was only at 25 yards, and was maybe three or four inches, don't really remember.

A closed bolt weapon like an MP 5 can get great accuracy.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A 1911 with a piece of crud jamming the firing pin in the forward position can go full auto for a very short time, as a friend of mine discovered. He dropped the slide on a full magazine, which became an empty magazine in a couple of seconds!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Friend Eddie G had a sear or hammer engaging surface chip and Brraaappp!!!!
    Magazine emptied in a flash, my friend with BATF was there and willing to play along, so he tins old Ed, and Ed is all ham- annah hamana stammering like Jackie Gleason, rather funny at the time....