Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

SCOTUS upholds obama care

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,552 Senior Member
So the beast still lives :yikes:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102737776
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


Replies

  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,547 Senior Member
    I saw that, too. Seems like good ol' chief justice Roberts is bound and determined that obamacare live.

    I have no personal experience with obamacare. Only the horror stories of folks getting hit with extremely high premiums for plans with even higher deductibles. And, if they can't afford that, income tax returns get taken, or something to that effect. It sounds like a terrible plan based on things like this.

    Problem is, I don't know anyone personally who has been raked over the coals on this, nor have I had to deal with it. Has anyone experienced bad results such as the what I mentioned? I'd like to know if it's really as bad as some claim.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    We, thank God, don't have to use it. I think Jerm can elaborate on how much his INS went up.

    Every Doc office we visit and every patient we talk to about it said it has caused their rates to go up and is very confusing. It is having an impact on us all, the worst is yet to come after Obammy leaves office. Many provisions don't kick in until then.

    I think it was 6 to 3 and so even if Roberts dissented, it still would have stood. They speculated on TV that SCOTUS was not about to rule making their earlier decision look like wrong one.

    Obammy will be coming out to gloat shortly on TV.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    In both cases the law was perfectly clear and both times the court ignored the law completely!!! Doesn't leave much hope for the Constitution does it? I almost hope that they are just protecting their families from an unfortunate mishap.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I think the solution is to return the Government to its 1968 levels and let the markets fix themselves with a minimal safety net.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, Obammy was in the Rose Garden gloating and grinning like a jackass in a briar patch fer sure!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I thought that the conservative thoughts about Scotus overturning the law were best wishes and not based on real events. Scotus decided, correctly, that the image or the spirit of the Obamacare law was correct, despite the technical error that prompted the lawsuits.

    This does not mean that I think the law is a good one. I think it's a very poor substitute for what needs to be done: ensure that Americans have decent health care even if they cannot afford it. The law is full of flaws, but the spirit of the law is right, which Scotus ruled on correctly.

    What really needs to be done is modify Obamacare so that it's correctly efficient and a good law instead of the flaws that make it terribly ineffective and wasteful.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,547 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I thought that the conservative thoughts about Scotus overturning the law were best wishes and not based on real events. Scotus decided, correctly, that the image or the spirit of the Obamacare law was correct, despite the technical error that prompted the lawsuits.

    This does not mean that I think the law is a good one. I think it's a very poor substitute for what needs to be done: ensure that Americans have decent health care even if they cannot afford it. The law is full of flaws, but the spirit of the law is right, which Scotus ruled on correctly.

    What really needs to be done is modify Obamacare so that it's correctly efficient and a good law instead of the flaws that make it terribly ineffective and wasteful.

    So in your world, it's the intent of the law and not the letter of the law that matters? My problem with that is that it leaves too much leeway in interpretation to the court. If a law is badly worded or written, throw it out.

    I agree that the law needs to be modified or rewritten, but I think we'll land a man on the sun before that happens.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    One feller said earlier on TV that Obammy was right in saying millions of Americans like it and think it was a great move and quickly signed up for it especially since somebody else is paying for it!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,552 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

    Problem is, I don't know anyone personally who has been raked over the coals on this, nor have I had to deal with it. Has anyone experienced bad results such as the what I mentioned? I'd like to know if it's really as bad as some claim.
    I know that since its passing, pretty much everyone I know (including my family) has seen their health premiums (for the plans they got to keep)
    increase 30-50%
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,105 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    So in your world, it's the intent of the law and not the letter of the law that matters? My problem with that is that it leaves too much leeway in interpretation to the court. If a law is badly worded or written, throw it out.

    I agree that the law needs to be modified or rewritten, but I think we'll land a man on the sun before that happens.

    My monthly insurance premium has tripled since OmanamationCare went into effect, and my deductible did the same. Instead of seeing a $2,500 decrease in my insurance I got hit with a $2,300 INCREASE. I really, really, REALLY would like to see that liar's pants catch on fire like they were loaded with napalm!

    SCOTUS seems to be nothing more than a rubber stamp shilling for the Liar in Chief.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    I had a high deductible private plan before this all started. It cost me under $500 a month for me (with major pre-existing conditions) and the rest of my family. I was happy!

    Then came Obamacare. Right away, our premiums shot up $200 a month. Once the law kicked in fully last year, I was paying $1100 for the "free" birth control (wife's tubes are tied), "free" anal probes, and all the other "free" crap like child vision (still costs me the same). I couldn't keep the old plan that I liked-- it was cancelled because it was considered inadequate by the feds. While I do have a lower deductible now, I am also mandated to buy dental insurance for the kids. We used to pay cash before and we were way ahead of the game in savings for the exact same dental care. Anyway, my health insurance costs me just under $1200 a month for this year.

    Needless to say, I hate it. The first $14,000 I make a year goes straight to health insurance. Then there are co-pays and deductibles. I end out having to fork out $19,000 in after tax income every year for "affordable" healthcare. What a bunch of crap!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    That sucks hind teat Jerm. Some good gun fund money being spent on something you did not want. A lot of folks who are exempt from ObammyCare/SCOTUSCare think it is a good idy.

    House bill would force the Supreme Court to enroll in ObamaCare

    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/246204-gop-bill-would-force-supreme-court-to-enroll-in-obamacare
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    If Congress doesn't have to read the law before it passes it, nor the President before he signs it, why should the Supreme Court have to read it before it rules?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Remind me again how we "need" a Republican POTUS to make sure we get proper SCOTUS appointments that will ensure that the Constitution is upheld, please? I believe George Bush II, a Republican, nominated Chief Justice Roberts...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,564 Senior Member
    I don't know anyone who uses O'care, but because of my medical issues I have visited doctors fairly often and not too many of them like the situation.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Remind me again how we "need" a Republican POTUS to make sure we get proper SCOTUS appointments that will ensure that the Constitution is upheld, please? I believe George Bush II, a Republican, nominated Chief Justice Roberts...

    Oh puhleeeeze, pull your head out. Heller, and all that's come of it was the work of Roberts and the other conservatives. The huge expansion of CCW and gun rights are the result of his rulings. No judge is perfect - Duh! - but don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. For sure, Roberts and Kennedy applied a unique approach to the ACA, but in just about every other ruling Roberts has made he has been right on. Don't be a sanctimonious death-wish conservative or you'll end up with Hillary, and then you'll really have something to howl about, but nobody will hear you because we already told you so.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    And Heller left the door open for "reasonable restrictions." Excuse me while I get cautiously concerned.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    And Heller left the door open for "reasonable restrictions." Excuse me while I get cautiously concerned.

    Yada Yada Yada. And when in the next 4-8 years Alito, Thomas or Scalia retires, your girl Hillary will give you another Kagan, Sotomayor or Ginsberg, and if you didn't vote Republican, that'll be exactly what you wanted to happen. I hate being a hard-ass about this, but like it or not, that's the fence this country is teetering on, and boy is it teetering.

    Every voter must take full responsibility for his ballot - whether he casts it or not, and the consequences of his actions are now undeniable. Gone is the luxury of blaming anyone else - it's all too late for that. There is no longer any middle ground, you either help Hillary or help defeat her. No excuses, no ifs, ands or buts. If Hillary does lose, rest assured the new President won't be perfect, but at least the country will survive his administration relatively intact and probably be far better off when he leaves than when he arrived. I really don't care if you have to hold your nose when you vote, I don't care if you vomit in the polling booth or have a seizure in the parking lot, just do what you KNOW you must do. or else THEY'LL get to do what they want to do. And they'll be doing it to YOU. Bend over.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,531 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Yada Yada Yada. And when in the next 4-8 years Alito, Thomas or Scalia retires, your girl Hillary will give you another Kagan, Sotomayor or Ginsberg, and if you didn't vote Republican, that'll be exactly what you wanted to happen. I hate being a hard-ass about this, but like it or not, that's the fence this country is teetering on, and boy is it teetering.

    Every voter must take full responsibility for his ballot - whether he casts it or not, and the consequences of his actions are now undeniable. Gone is the luxury of blaming anyone else - it's all too late for that. There is no longer any middle ground, you either help Hillary or help defeat her. No excuses, no ifs, ands or buts. If Hillary does lose, rest assured the new President won't be perfect, but at least the country will survive his administration relatively intact and probably be far better off when he leaves than when he arrived. I really don't care if you have to hold your nose when you vote, I don't care if you vomit in the polling booth or have a seizure in the parking lot, just do what you KNOW you must do. or else THEY'LL get to do what they want to do. And they'll be doing it to YOU. Bend over.

    Unless a third party has a methamphetamine boost in party popularity, it's another Republican vs Democrat ticket and that is likely by 99% or more. The idea of a third party is romantic and best and foolhardy by those banking on it.

    Everyone I talk to that says they are "voting for the [not Republican party]" I ask them why are you voting democrat? A vote for any party other than Republican is a vote for the Democrats by act or by omission.

    Is what it is in this two party nonsense.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,351 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I saw that, too. Seems like good ol' chief justice Roberts is bound and determined that obamacare live.

    I have no personal experience with obamacare. Only the horror stories of folks getting hit with extremely high premiums for plans with even higher deductibles. And, if they can't afford that, income tax returns get taken, or something to that effect. It sounds like a terrible plan based on things like this.

    Problem is, I don't know anyone personally who has been raked over the coals on this, nor have I had to deal with it. Has anyone experienced bad results such as the what I mentioned? I'd like to know if it's really as bad as some claim.



    It's all about redistributing that wealth baby! Why should you have money and others not? No matter they wouldn't have a job if it bit em on the ****!! And Roberts isn't the only one. Seems more than one so called conservative knuckled under. Kennedy has been following the conservative side for awhile but I think he's mainly following Roberts. But Clarence Thomas, Anton Scalia and Sam Alito stood conservative as usual. We need about three more like those three. But that's why we need a Republican in the White House. With Hillary you'll get more libtard Justices and a lot more of this same crap.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Yada Yada Yada. And when in the next 4-8 years Alito, Thomas or Scalia retires, your girl Hillary will give you another Kagan, Sotomayor or Ginsberg, and if you didn't vote Republican, that'll be exactly what you wanted to happen. I hate being a hard-ass about this, but like it or not, that's the fence this country is teetering on, and boy is it teetering.

    Every voter must take full responsibility for his ballot - whether he casts it or not, and the consequences of his actions are now undeniable. Gone is the luxury of blaming anyone else - it's all too late for that. There is no longer any middle ground, you either help Hillary or help defeat her. No excuses, no ifs, ands or buts. If Hillary does lose, rest assured the new President won't be perfect, but at least the country will survive his administration relatively intact and probably be far better off when he leaves than when he arrived. I really don't care if you have to hold your nose when you vote, I don't care if you vomit in the polling booth or have a seizure in the parking lot, just do what you KNOW you must do. or else THEY'LL get to do what they want to do. And they'll be doing it to YOU. Bend over.
    And how do we know that a Republican POTUS won't give us a SCOTUS appointee who'll screw us like Roberts or Kennedy? Pull off your partisan blinders.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Unless a third party has a methamphetamine boost in party popularity, it's another Republican vs Democrat ticket and that is likely by 99% or more. The idea of a third party is romantic and best and foolhardy by those banking on it.

    Everyone I talk to that says they are "voting for the [not Republican party]" I ask them why are you voting democrat? A vote for any party other than Republican is a vote for the Democrats by act or by omission.

    Is what it is in this two party nonsense.
    And my point has been that voting for Democrat or Republican can screw your rights away either way. Seems like BOTH parties seem to screw things up quite well.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    So in your world, it's the intent of the law and not the letter of the law that matters? My problem with that is that it leaves too much leeway in interpretation to the court. If a law is badly worded or written, throw it out.

    I agree that the law needs to be modified or rewritten, but I think we'll land a man on the sun before that happens.

    Intent of the law is always how Scotus has ruled. And sometimes it's overturned laws, of course.

    I agree that Obamacare is a bad law. But it is the law and Scotus ruled correctly according to the intent of the law. It needs to be changed and that's what matters. Scotus simply reaffirmed the law as it's intended. That's how it works in jurisprudence.

    The only option is to overturn it and that's not going to be done by the courts. It will take Congress changing the law.

    I don't know exactly how to "fix" health care. It's obvious that the insurance system is flawed and too many people are getting slammed by high costs -- just look at the postings here. The real problem, as I see it, is that the term "insurance" is wrong anyway. Those who cannot afford health care on their own -- and that's about 99% of us -- don't need "insurance" but some way for the govt to just pay for the things we cannot for health care, but administer it in a reasonable fashion that makes some sense. Obamacare does not do this at all.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    Yada Yada Yada. And when in the next 4-8 years Alito, Thomas or Scalia retires, your girl Hillary will give you another Kagan, Sotomayor or Ginsberg, and if you didn't vote Republican, that'll be exactly what you wanted to happen. I hate being a hard-ass about this, but like it or not, that's the fence this country is teetering on, and boy is it teetering.

    Every voter must take full responsibility for his ballot - whether he casts it or not, and the consequences of his actions are now undeniable. Gone is the luxury of blaming anyone else - it's all too late for that. There is no longer any middle ground, you either help Hillary or help defeat her. No excuses, no ifs, ands or buts. If Hillary does lose, rest assured the new President won't be perfect, but at least the country will survive his administration relatively intact and probably be far better off when he leaves than when he arrived. I really don't care if you have to hold your nose when you vote, I don't care if you vomit in the polling booth or have a seizure in the parking lot, just do what you KNOW you must do. or else THEY'LL get to do what they want to do. And they'll be doing it to YOU. Bend over.

    horse, some of us here, snake and you and I and a few others, have been harping on this for ages.

    Vote Republican next year, gang. If as horse says, you have to vomit in the booth, so do it and vote R and do NOT elect Hillary by default. Because that's precisely what will happen if the Republican nominee loses -- Hillary will win. There's no 3rd alternative.

    Some of the moderate and conservative Scotus justices are holding on till the election to retire, because they don't want Obama to nominate a liberal and upset the current 5-4 conservative slant to Scotus. And if you guys think that Scotus is wrong now, just think of having 3 more flaming libs on the panel. Goodbye to your gun rights.

    I have said this before but I do really think that a reasonable nominee will emerge for the Republican party, no Rino. Lindsey Graham and his ilk will not make it, but I look for someone like Scott Walker or maybe Rubio to be nominated.

    Regardless, ABH -- Anyone But Hillary.

    We in Texas are sitting pretty -- we'll send our electoral votes to the R side, but swing states like Florida or Penn or other central states? Ya better get ready to push that R button even if it hurts.

    As horse correctly says, ANY Republican will be a "reasonable" president compared to Hillary. And I've said this too -- I not only know that Hillary is a flaming and dedicated liberal, but I really do think she's got some mental issues, and heaven knows who will really be directing things if she's elected. And don't forget -- her victory would also likely ensure enough coattail effect to switch the Senate back to the Demos.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,531 Senior Member
    And my point has been that voting for Democrat or Republican can screw your rights away either way. Seems like BOTH parties seem to screw things up quite well.

    I don't disagree with you. All Republicansas far as I'm concerned are RINOs until proven otherwise. Even folks in the Senate like Trey Gowdy,in my humble patriotic opinion, is not doing enough to eradicate the RINOs. Talk is cheap. These unpatriotic fools need to be removed from office with extreme prejudice.

    I'd like to see a nationwide movement to start recalling every senator from every state. Yea they got voted in and they damn sure can be voted out. They need to feel the fist of the people for a damn change, not the opoosite...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    They need to feel the fist of the people for a damn change, not the opoosite...
    But according to today's SCOTUS ruling that sort of thing is now legal...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMPD View Post
    They need to feel the fist of the people for a damn change, not the opoosite...
    But according to today's SCOTUS ruling that sort of thing is now legal...

    Look out for the ones wearing Brass Knuckles :yikes::yikes::rotflmao::rotflmao::spittingcoffee:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    ObamaCare is now referred to as SCOTUSCare.
    After Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare, Texas Congressman Introduces Bill Aimed Directly at Justices.

    Rep. Brian Babin (R-Texas) responded to a Supreme Court decision upholding a key Obamacare provision Thursday by introducing a bill in the House that would require each of the justices to enroll in the controversial health care program.

    “As the Supreme Court continues to ignore the letter of the law, it’s important that these six individuals understand the full impact of their decisions on the American people,” Babin said in a statement.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/06/25/after-supreme-court-upholds-obamacare-texas-congressman-introduces-bill-aimed-directly-at-justices/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Firewire&utm_campaign=Firewire%20-%20HORIZON%206-26-15%20FINAL
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I know that since its passing, pretty much everyone I know (including my family) has seen their health premiums (for the plans they got to keep)
    increase 30-50%

    Same here, premiums increased, along with the deductible. Those SCROTUMS in the black robes should have to use O'Bummer care.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement