Home Main Category Clubhouse

I feel like a dark cloud is over me...

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
Today's SCOTUS decision on gay marriage...

SCOTUS decision on Obama care...

I am feeling like the USA is heading down a bad path, where SCOTUS now makes law, instead of interpreting it.

We need a return to conservatism sooner rather than later!

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Re: I feel like a dark cloud is over me...

Well DUH, It is the rainy season in FLA now...................:tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    I totally agree with the gay marriage decision. I think it's essentially a right according to the 12th amendment. Should have been done years ago.

The Obamacare decision was correct via jurisprudence but Obamacare itself is a deeply flawed law that really needs big changes.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,658 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Today's SCOTUS decision on gay marriage...

SCOTUS decision on Obama care...

I am feeling like the USA is heading down a bad path, where SCOTUS now makes law, instead of interpreting it.

We need a return to conservatism sooner rather than later!

D
    Where are we going, why am I in this basket and why is it getting hotter the further we go.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,732 Senior Member
    Well the further we, as a country, get away from the way we started as a nation no wonder we are in trouble. Pray for our nation.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,064 Senior Member
    I now know why they are referred to as the "high" court!!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,867 Senior Member
    I just looked out the window, there is a dark cloud.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I can't think of a single optimistic or positive thing to say. The progressive grist mill grinds on. My religious beliefs are ynprotected. I'm apparently a hate filled bigot and I don't even own a bakery or pizza joint, or any other wedding related business.
    But I guess there's lots of things written in the Constitution that just don't matter any more.
    Never thought I'd see the day but now I have. But I'm just an older straight white male, sitting fat and sassy on my big fat pile of white priviledge.
    Or so I'm told. Thanks Obama.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Is Obammy an Alien, MUFON should investigate soon.........................
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I just looked out the window, there is a dark cloud.

Over the entire Nation!!! The Republic is officially dead. The Ballot Box and Jury Box are no longer functional. Every branch of government has betrayed its Constitutional role. The Repunklickan Establishment has no more use for a free middle-class than the Bolsheviks so the choice is to be owned in a company town or a Government Gulag!!! We are living in 1930's Germany so we even know how this works out. Welcome to the Obamanation
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    Funny how a forum populated by folks who claim to simply want to live their own lives without government interference is collectively so set on using their own moral structure to dictate how government should interfere in the lives of others.:bang:

I don't care if they live with their lifestyle totally out of their closet so long as they don't have a problem with me keeping a collection of BAR's in mine.

You may not like what some choose to do with it, but FREEDOM is good.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Funny how a forum populated by folks who claim to simply want to live their own lives without government interference is collectively so set on using their own moral structure to dictate how government should interfere in the lives of others.:bang:

I don't care if they live with their lifestyle totally out of their closet so long as they don't have a problem with me keeping a collection of BAR's in mine.

Yep. Now they can do their thing, quietly.

Personal beliefs aside, I have a few gay cousins. They were married in other states, but it really bothers them that it wasn't legal here.
    They've been supporting gay rights for years, and talking to them, I see how much the decision yesterday meant to them.
    I'm happy for them. They won their battle.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    In my march to curmudgeonhood, I find myself caring far less in what folks who both consent do to (or for) each other...and far, far more about making sure they're not doing it to me. This finding by the court is here to stay. I don't have to like it, just like antis don't have to like me owning an EBR...I just have to deal with it, just like they have to deal with me. So long as I don't have to march in that particular parade, I'm good.

That said, any attempt to force a business, club, church or other entity to do or say things outside the owner/member/whoever's beliefs goes too far, IMO. Do whatever you want, just leave me out of it.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I totally agree with the gay marriage decision. I think it's essentially a right according to the 12th amendment. Should have been done years ago.

The Obamacare decision was correct via jurisprudence but Obamacare itself is a deeply flawed law that really needs big changes.

It's only a right because when the Constitution was framed and before when this country was formed, those people had no clue people would get to the point to even consider such a thing! If they had I guarantee you they would have considered some stop gap measure to prevent this from even coming before the court. If somebody would have proposed such a thing they would have been taken out and put in the stocks in the heat of the day and left to rot. Hell, even in the 50s this proposal would never have been made out of fear of public reprisal. That's the lunacy of this.

As for Obama Care, just because the SCOTUS blessed it, doesn't mean it will survive a Republican administration. All this does is say it's legal until it is repealed.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Bigslug wrote: »

Good, agree, thanks.
    snake284 wrote: »
    It's only a right because when the Constitution was framed and before when this country was formed, those people had no clue people would get to the point to even consider such a thing! If they had I guarantee you they would have considered some stop gap measure to prevent this from even coming before the court. If somebody would have proposed such a thing they would have been taken out and put in the stocks in the heat of the day and left to rot. Hell, even in the 50s this proposal would never have been made out of fear of public reprisal. That's the lunacy of this.

As for Obama Care, just because the SCOTUS blessed it, doesn't mean it will survive a Republican administration. All this does is say it's legal until it is repealed.

The Constitution only reaffirms those rights that we already have. Gays are equal to straights in the eyes of the law, and it's the right thing. People were punished for condoning slavery once, too. And discrimination against people is wrong for government. All citizens deserve equal treatment under the law for anything government related, which includes marriage licenses, although I still don't know why that's required anyway. But if it is, then gays have to be considered equal under the law.

No, the framers of the Constitution didn't consider gay rights when writing it but they certainly considered and hotly debated slavery and compromised on that issue. Which was, turns out, wrong. Slavery should have been abolished from the start.

Human beings are fallible and the Constitution isn't perfect. But it tried to be. And gay marriage is the right thing. jbohio said it right: individual rights are essential, whether it's gun ownership or equal protection under the law. It's a private matter anyway, but if the government wishes to intrude on relationships by requiring marriage licenses, then those have to be available to all adults, gay or straight.

If you think about it, it makes sense if the govt is gonna get involved in issuing licenses for marriage in the first place.

As for Obamacare, it's a bad law but it's a law and Scotus simply reaffirmed the law's intent. The law itself needs to be changed, but until it gets fixed, Scotus had the duty to let it proceed and not decide the law itself is unconstitutional. It's sadly not, so Scotus had no option. Know that the decision was 6-3 with a couple of conservative justices agreeing, so it's not a Rep/Demo issue.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    Bigslug nailed it. I used to chuckle about how people screamed and cried for individual rights until giving someone those rights resulted in an action they disagreed with, now I just shake my head and sigh.

Ideally, SCOTUS would have eliminated the term "marriage" from legal proceedings and simply acknowledged peoples' decision to live a life together, but this is a second best option (albiet a distant one) and a step in the right direction.

If you don't want people to tread on your rights, don't tread on theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,072 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Well the further we, as a country, get away from the way we started as a nation no wonder we are in trouble. Pray for our nation.

Slavery? Only property owners could vote? No vote for women?

I don't think so. But our nation needs prayers, for certain.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    In the eyes of the law, my marriage is quite simply a contract between my spouse and I. It gives us both certain rights and her, half my stuff if it is broken. Please note that contracts are only valid if they are consented to by two adults (not children as some suggested, nor gerbils). Two people (or five, or ten for all I care) should have the right to form (and dissolve) contracts with each other. The 14th Amendment calls for equal protection under the law. Why are some people allowed to form contracts with each other while others are excluded? That sounds un-American to me!

Outside of the legal system, my marriage has a much more profound meaning. It is about love, commitment and dedication to each other, our families and loved ones... and faith. It has absolutely nothing to do with the government and Constitution. Government should not be in the marriage business. It makes no sense. The contract business? That IS the proper role of government.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Bigslug nailed it. I used to chuckle about how people screamed and cried for individual rights until giving someone those rights resulted in an action they disagreed with, now I just shake my head and sigh.

Ideally, SCOTUS would have eliminated the term "marriage" from legal proceedings and simply acknowledged peoples' decision to live a life together, but this is a second best option (albiet a distant one) and a step in the right direction.

If you don't want people to tread on your rights, don't tread on theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's pretty much where I stand.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.