Home Main Category Clubhouse

Help on modern C&W music for my new book?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
In my new mystery novel, I'm introducing a new character, best old friend of my private eye.

He's an emigre from Russia who came to the US (and UT Austin) as an exchange student, fell in love with the USA, and lives here now, a citizen.

He's the only Russkie Urban Cowboy in captivity, my private eye jokes. The guy is now professor of anatomy and physiology at UT Austin (where my PI attended) and is being threatened by persons unknown.

Anyway, this big redhaired former Russkie totally in love with the USA, Texas, and C&W music.

As you guys know, my musical love mostly encompasses classical, opera, and modern jazz, not a lot of CW, except for the Texas Outlaws.

So... I need some recommendations that I can sample via Youtube of modern CW groups that this guy would maybe enjoy -- he likes the "new wave" country, blues oriented, and not much the old Nashville Grand Ol Opry bunch. Bands this guy might enjoy? You don't need to go to the trouble of posting links unless you want to, some of the more modern CW groups to recommend? Groups like Dave Alvin, etc?

Thanks!

Replies

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,732 Senior Member
    If he loves western music Chris Ledoux is cool, passed away a few years ago. He was an awesome country artist. He was also a world champ bare back bronc rider back in the 70'.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    Zach Brown Band.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    The modern mainstream C&W music blows goats.

Much better to make him a fan of 80s and 90s country than the pop dung being sold as country today.

Chris Ledoux is awesome.
    Brooks and Dunn
    Alabama
    George Strait

The only other route would be make your character a fan of a narrow segment of country. Like Red Dirt country or the new generation outlaws. Red
    Red Dirt artists like Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Curtis Grimes, William Clark Green, Cody Canada, the folks who started it all The Great Divide.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Modern "country" music is produced by Hollyweird types and the "performers" are all out of the same cookie cutter mold. Why not have your guy gravitate to the "outlaw" country stars like Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Hank Williams Jr., Johnny Cash, etc. He might even drop back a little to include Hank Cochran, who was a much better songwriter than a performer, but he was one of the more rowdy characters where social interactions were concerned. I worked on Hank's Rolls-Royce for a while, until it became obvious his budget wouldn't handle the sort of restoration it needed.
    Jerry
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,202 Senior Member
    Check out Dwight Yoakum. Some of his stuff is pretty bluesy.

You might also check out my latest single. "I kissed her on the lips but left her behind for you."
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    In my new mystery novel, I'm introducing a new character, best old friend of my private eye.

He's an emigre from Russia who came to the US (and UT Austin) as an exchange student, fell in love with the USA, and lives here now, a citizen.

He's the only Russkie Urban Cowboy in captivity, my private eye jokes. The guy is now professor of anatomy and physiology at UT Austin (where my PI attended) and is being threatened by persons unknown.

Anyway, this big redhaired former Russkie totally in love with the USA, Texas, and C&W music.

As you guys know, my musical love mostly encompasses classical, opera, and modern jazz, not a lot of CW, except for the Texas Outlaws.

So... I need some recommendations that I can sample via Youtube of modern CW groups that this guy would maybe enjoy -- he likes the "new wave" country, blues oriented, and not much the old Nashville Grand Ol Opry bunch. Bands this guy might enjoy? You don't need to go to the trouble of posting links unless you want to, some of the more modern CW groups to recommend? Groups like Dave Alvin, etc?

Thanks!

Modern Country Music is an abomination of Sound. Give me the old stuff, George Jones, Buck Owens, Conway Twitty, Mel Tillis, Jim Reeves, guys like that that sang sweet music.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,561 Senior Member
    As NotKennyRogers tweeted during this year's country music awards...

99.9% of all folks on the awards show are gluten- and talent-free....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Check out Dwight Yoakum. Some of his stuff is pretty bluesy.

You might also check out my latest single. "I kissed her on the lips but left her behind for you."

While he's not real new anymore, Dwight Yoakum sang like the old time greats. I absolutely loved it when he and Buck Owens did "The Streets of Bakersfield." Great Song. Now THAT'S what I call good country music. And I loved the Mexican beat it had.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    If he loves western music Chris Ledoux is cool, passed away a few years ago. He was an awesome country artist. He was also a world champ bare back bronc rider back in the 70'.

Yup, can't miss true Country with Chris Ledoux.....
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Thanks guys for the advice -- got plenty of bands to look up. Regardless of the opinion, I'll avoid the old time stuff but Kristofferson is fine, Waylan, Alabama, Strait, Willie of course, and naturally the immortal Johnny Cash.

All I really need is a few authentic bands to have him listening to thru the book, y'know. Good suggestions.
    It doesn't get any more authentic than Chris...just sayin'
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    As long as it covers unemployment, adultery, incest, alcohol and a dog run over by a pickup truck(a twofer) you should be good. Maybe some John Pryne.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,404 Senior Member
    Shooter Jennings- Waylon Jennings son. Good stuff
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Since your guy likes 'new wave' stuff, Zac Brown Band and Shooter Jennings are good suggestions. Neither is new, but both are in that general vicinity...You might have better luck signing on to one of the music sites like Spotify or Pandora and using the "you might also like" suggestions. Pandora's suggestions never worked all that well for me but Spotify seemed to usually be spot on.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    samzhere wrote: »
    All I really need is a few authentic bands to have him listening to thru the book, y'know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdV1GxQowoE

Kristofferson is good by himself, but when her teams up with Merle, Willie and Johnny (The Highwaymen) the combination is great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8W8beGsX9Y

Then there's the UK version of that song- - - -"Mothers, Under No Circumstances Allow Your Offspring To Become Cattle Tenders!"
    :devil:
    Jerry
    Minor point, but the Highwaymen was Kris, Willie, Johnny, and Waylon Jennings. No Haggard there.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I should have known better- - - -my grandmother was a nanny for Waylon's kids for quite a while! Thanks!
    Jerry
    No worries.

BTW, if folks like to listen to Outlaw Country and Western and use Pandora internet radio, get the Waylon Jennings channel on Pandora. Waylon, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Jerry Reed, and more. None of this modern country shtuff...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Minor point, but the Highwaymen was Kris, Willie, Johnny, and Waylon Jennings. No Haggard there.

Correct. And I saw them in concert and really enjoyed the show.

In addition to the good suggestions here, I'll likely check w. my Austin pals and see what local CW groups are currently playing there, maybe they'll attend the show in my book, etc.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,404 Senior Member
    Kevin Fowler.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Then there's the UK version of that song- - - -"Mothers, Under No Circumstances Allow Your Offspring To Become Cattle Tenders!"
    :devil:
    Jerry

More like;
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yall are lumping country and western together. They are not. Anyone who watched The Blues Brothers should know this.

Good point...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,851 Senior Member
    If you are specifically going for newer country, here are some that come to mind for me:

Granger Smith - I specifically recommend that your character be fond of this guy. He's a Texas boy, and it would only make sense that if he fell in love with the USA and Texas that he'd be fond of a Texas artist. Even better, since Granger Smith is a Texas Aggie, you can have your character make a remark about A&M when a Granger Smith song comes on.

Zac Brown Band - An absolute no brainer, and a wildly talented band.

Maddie and Tey - Two young girls who broke into the mainstream with the song "Girl in a Country Song." Methinks a college educated character could make some insightful remarks about that song and how it pokes fun at the stereotypes of women in country music.

Frankie Ballard - Mixes rock and country a bit, but is pretty darn good.

The Band Perry - They are pretty good and popular.

Trace Adkins - Meh, but a well known name.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    If you are specifically going for newer country, here are some that come to mind for me:

Granger Smith - I specifically recommend that your character be fond of this guy. He's a Texas boy, and it would only make sense that if he fell in love with the USA and Texas that he'd be fond of a Texas artist. Even better, since Granger Smith is a Texas Aggie, you can have your character make a remark about A&M when a Granger Smith song comes on.

Zac Brown Band - An absolute no brainer, and a wildly talented band.

Maddie and Tey - Two young girls who broke into the mainstream with the song "Girl in a Country Song." Methinks a college educated character could make some insightful remarks about that song and how it pokes fun at the stereotypes of women in country music.

Frankie Ballard - Mixes rock and country a bit, but is pretty darn good.

The Band Perry - They are pretty good and popular.

Trace Adkins - Meh, but a well known name.

Maddie and Tey are ok to look at but it pretty much ends there. I can watch the music video... if I mute it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BingBing Member Posts: 95 Member
    Florida - Georgia Line -- Repugnant, but modern.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,594 Senior Member
    Modern, edgy, bluesy county......Eric Church.
    Jamey Johnson is awesome, too.