Rossi M92 - .45 Colt w/ 24" Octagonal Barrel..........Thoughts?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 21,103 Senior Member
Saw a .45-70 Marlin Cowboy the other day that got my brain turning. Decided I liked the idea but don't really want to tool up for another cartridge. Then, I got to thinking. I load for the .45 Colt!!!

Enter the Rossi M92 in .45 Colt with Octoganol Barrel.

5EF0A564-BED5-4B76-9BE8-1C50A62B53FB_zpseh4wgr9g.jpg

I've zero experience with Rossi rifles. I've zero experience with the .45 Colt out of a rifle length barrel. So, I'm going to lean heavily on the cumulative experience gathered here.

Is the gun worth it?
Is the cartridge worth it out of a 24" barrel?

Would most likely use it for hunting and as a companion to my Super Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt. Likely add a tang sight and front globe.

Would linely use 250gr Hornady XTP handloads out of this rifle and push them fast.

Thoughts?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    How much ? I love the Rossi rifles, I have shot them much, then people offered me stupid money and I sold them..... I like them very much..... Buy if you can get a good bargain...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Didn't the Rossi M92 in .45 long colt become the 454 Cassull. :p :devil:

Zee wrote: »
    .....Is the cartridge worth it out of a 24" barrel?...Thoughts?

Is not that barrel a might too long for you.

"I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin."

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I like it. Go get it. Here endeth the lesson.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,774 Senior Member
    I'd rather have the Marlin .45-70, personally. Maybe it's just the Taurus connection, or maybe it's because I would have to tool up for .45 Colt, since I have neither.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,456 Senior Member
    I've got one in SS, an older one. I like it a lot as a fun gun, but haven't hunted with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,103 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    How much ? I love the Rossi rifles, I have shot them much, then people offered me stupid money and I sold them..... I like them very much..... Buy if you can get a good bargain...

Thanks. I'm still in the conceptual stage at this point. Haven't started looking around yet.
    shush wrote: »
    Didn't the Rossi M92 in .45 long colt become the 454 Cassull. :p :devil:

1858E318-057E-4278-A523-B6B9D012F155_zpsf8hgsgvk.gif

Is not that barrel a might too long for you.

"I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin."

I'll use a ladder.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,932 Senior Member
    I have the "pistol" version of that in .357. It has been a fun blaster, and I have no complaints, EXCEPT.....

The safety. You will want to go to Stevez Guns and buy either the peep sight safety replacement:
    http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_30&products_id=5

or just the safety delete:
    http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_32&products_id=4
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Reading reviews on the gun, I already found and bookmarked his site to replace the lever with the plug..........should I get the gun.

I thought of the peep version. But, would rather do the tang sight and have windage AND elevation adjustment capability.

Thanks.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,879 Senior Member
    There is one for sale in the highly active classified section...
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    I bought a nice used one to have in my lever collection but can only comment on fit and finish as I've never fired it. Wood to metal is very good and finish on metal is nice without any rough areas. The crescent style butt plate adds a classy look to the rifle. I liked the idea at the time of having a rifle chambered in the cartridge I was carrying but soon realized that most of my hunting is in areas where shots are 100 to 150 yards and my old tired eyes really need a scope and more powerful caliber for those distances. I stayed with my 7mm/08 Ruger that I have been using for years. Sadly mine has sat in the safe long enough and I've put up for sale since I'm breaking up my collection. If you like the classy look and feel of a traditional style lever gun, I'm sure you will enjoy owning.

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,292 Senior Member
    I have the .357 Magnum version. Well built, tight, and slick action. It's a fun, fun, fun shooter. You need that rifle in .45 Colt. I've handled one at the GS in .45 Colt and had a very hard time walking away from it. BUT IT NOW! :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,324 Senior Member
    Saw a .45-70 Marlin Cowboy the other day that got my brain turning. Decided I liked the idea but don't really want to tool up for another cartridge. Then, I got to thinking. I load for the .45 Colt!!!

Enter the Rossi M92 in .45 Colt with Octoganol Barrel.

5EF0A564-BED5-4B76-9BE8-1C50A62B53FB_zpseh4wgr9g.jpg

I've zero experience with Rossi rifles. I've zero experience with the .45 Colt out of a rifle length barrel. So, I'm going to lean heavily on the cumulative experience gathered here.

Is the gun worth it?
    Is the cartridge worth it out of a 24" barrel?

Would most likely use it for hunting and as a companion to my Super Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt. Likely add a tang sight and front globe.

Would linely use 250gr Hornady XTP handloads out of this rifle and push them fast.

Thoughts?

I have one from the 90s. No dumb safety on mine like the new ones. Mines a M92 is .44mag and it's fantastic. Quite the shooter, too. I paid $350 for it and I've had offers of $500.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,331 Senior Member

Thoughts?

This is the load my cousin is running through his 24" Marlin 1894 for deer, etc....it works...:up:

Now that I've got the 1873...I'm convinced that a lever gun in .45 Colt is a staple for a well-rounded battery....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Buy it. Buy it now, and while you are there buy your son a Ruger American .22.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If you want to increase the thump a little, there's always the Lee 300 grain gas checked cast bullet option. That would make an awesome handgun/rifle combination load if the Jurassic Park fauna ever goes on a rampage.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • mohicanmohican Member Posts: 380 Member
    Is rossi the same basic company as Puma/etc? I looked at a similar version in 454 Casull and the fit/finish was below par.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,932 Senior Member
    Last deer I shot was with a .45 Colt. It was a 200 gr Speer GDHP, and it dropped the deer in it's tracks.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,337 Senior Member
    If it were me, I'd go with the 454 Casull version. Why not get the best of both worlds? I've been lusting after one in 454 for a while. But I believe they quit making them, and the prices have gone up accordingly... I've got lever guns in 22lr, 30-30 and 357 mag. Always wanted to add a 454 to the lineup.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,201 Senior Member
    Lever guns in pistol rounds are a hoot!! The M92 is a close duplicate to the original Winchester design, but parts are not interchangeable.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,456 Senior Member
    There is one for sale in our very own Classified section...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,475 Senior Member
    I want one.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    If you want to increase the thump a little, there's always the Lee 300 grain gas checked cast bullet option. That would make an awesome handgun/rifle combination load if the Jurassic Park fauna ever goes on a rampage.
    Jerry

Or a flock of those idiots with their pants hanging off their underwear....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Or a flock of those idiots with their pants hanging off their underwear....

Yeah they're easy pickins tripping over their pants and all!. If you have a hunting companion pistol you like then why not? I grew up stalk hunting with a Kentucky rifle/pistol combo. Inside 50yds was pistol duty and out to 150 with the rifle. A perfect sight setup for that would be a 50yd aperture on the bolt and a tang sight set for 125yds. That way you have the fast and close and with a little doping be good to150-200yds.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    Jay wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd go with the 454 Casull version. Why not get the best of both worlds? I've been lusting after one in 454 for a while. But I believe they quit making them, and the prices have gone up accordingly... I've got lever guns in 22lr, 30-30 and 357 mag. Always wanted to add a 454 to the lineup.

If they offered the Casull in a blued 24" version, I'd be all over it. As it stands, they don't. And I already have a 20" lever gun in .30-30 Winchester and don't really want another 20" lever gun.

The aestgetics of the longer barrel are what appeal to me on the .45 Colt model.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Last deer I shot was with a .45 Colt. It was a 200 gr Speer GDHP, and it dropped the deer in it's tracks.

How far was the shot? What gun? I don't remember.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,337 Senior Member
    If they offered the Casull in a blued 24" version, I'd be all over it. As it stands, they don't. And I already have a 20" lever gun in .30-30 Winchester and don't really want another 20" lever gun.

The aestgetics of the longer barrel are what appeal to me on the .45 Colt model.

Gotcha. Sounds good to me.

Just a "what if" thought, I wonder if there's any difference in the actions themeselves between the 45 Colt and 454 Casull?
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

I'm already running 305gr WFN-GC in a somewhat stout load through my revolver. Will probably try them in the lever as well, if I get one.
    Jay wrote: »
    Gotcha. Sounds good to me.

Just a "what if" thought, I wonder if there's any difference in the actions themeselves between the 45 Colt and 454 Casull?

Believe you me........I'd already checked the Casull option.

:evilgrin:
    Buy it. Buy it now, and while you are there buy your son a Ruger American .22.

The American hasn't piqued my interest enough......yet.