Home Main Category Clubhouse

Kindle good book

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,068 Senior Member
It isn't free, it's about $4, titled "A Rifleman Went to War," by an author McBride. The War was WW 1, and the book written about 1930 or so. The author was in a MG unit in the Canadian army, an American who went in early, and I think going into the US Army about 1917. Haven't read that far yet. I'd seen the book mentioned in other writings, came across it by accident.

He sniped, using a Ross rifle and a Warner-Swazey scope, about all they had at the beginning. Pretty detailed and grime at times, and if you ever saw that series "Apocalypse of WW 1" on the AHC, you'll recognize a lot of weapons and situations in that series.

Worth a read. So far as I can tell, it's also accurate in the macro picture.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    This book, still in print, is a worthy addition to any shooters library....I have two copies...one for lending and the other for my own enjoyment...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    Another good book on Kindle is "With British Snipers to the Reich." I had a soft-cover book that was a gun-show book reprint with terrible print values. I'm going to read it next.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    Another worthwhile read...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,182 Senior Member
    Same author: "The Emma Gees", about his experiences in a Canadian Expeditionary force. Both books are under $3/each on Kindle.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,068 Senior Member
    This one is pretty much autobiographical and a lot about "Emma Gees" (machine guns.) But it has other material as well. I can't imagine McBride writing another book without going over plowed ground.

"With British Snipers..." is about $10 or so on Kindle.