Know what I hate most about reloading?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,683 Senior Member
Powder.

Every time I want to load up a couple of rounds for a gun, NONE of the powders I have on hand are listed for that caliber. So, I need to eiher go on the hunt for it locally, and pay $30 for a pound just to see if that powder will like the bullet weight and gun I have, or buy online and pay for hazmat shipping... and still not be sure that it'll work.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,266 Senior Member
    Look at the websites for the powders you do have, they may list loads your books don't
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    There should be a load developer / load experimenter purchase agreement, you pre-pay 100 pounds of powder and you get a complete line of developer powders in varying amounts equal to the developer's needs.....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    There should be a load developer / load experimenter purchase agreement, you pre-pay 100 pounds of powder and you get a complete line of developer powders in varying amounts equal to the developer's needs.....

I as I once posted many, many years ago here, the powder manufacturers should sell small quantities of all their powders so hand loaders don't have to buy a pound for testing in their reloads. About 4 ounces should do the trick.

WHO . . . I do not understand your post. A hundred pounds of powder? Please explain.
    cpj wrote: »
    One maker USED to sell it by the 1/4 pound cans. Must not have been a good seller, I haven't seen it that way in years.

Do you happen to remember who it was?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    Nope. It's been probably 10 years ago. Iirc, they sold a four pack of powder, 1/4 pound each.

I also remember that, and don't remember the manufacturer, either. It was around for a VERY limited time frame.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Here is some 1000 grain containers instead of 7000 grain pound cans.I think you will pay more per oz and end up with a lot less for about 2X the cost..............I'm guessing.

Approved to distribute, I haven't seen any on the shelves like this yet.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/dot-approves-new-1000-grain-2-3-oz-powder-containers/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Even if you got 2 or 3 kinds like a variety pak..............and found one you liked you still would be stuck with the rest to figure out what load up with it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Even if you got 2 or 3 kinds like a variety pak..............and found one you liked you still would be stuck with the rest to figure out what load up with it.

Thanks. Interesting. If they would let you pick the different powders you'd like to try . . . I wouldn't mind at all. A random variety pack of just any powder wouldn't work of course.
    Considering that was posted on April fools day, take it for what it's worth

I didn't even read that far down or notice the date. I guess it was like 6 oz beer cans, didn't catch on.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,937 Senior Member
    It was Hodgdons....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,831 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    I as I once posted many, many years ago here, the powder manufacturers should sell small quantities of all their powders so hand loaders don't have to buy a pound for testing in their reloads. About 4 ounces should do the trick.

WHO . . . I do not understand your post. A hundred pounds of powder? Please explain.

N320AW, I think, and it's a guess, that Doc Who was saying there SHOULD be a place like that. But not necessarily there is. I think he's like the rest of us, he wishes you could buy powder like that.

I personally don't mind buying powder by the pound because I will find a use for it. I'm not like some who are looking for a powder for all seasons because they don't want a bunch of different powders lying around. I like to have at least 5 different powders at hand and sometimes like now, I will have 10, so I can make the most efficient load possible in each rifle.

Right now on hand I have a little bit of IMR 4350, a very little IMR 3031, A couple pounds IMR 4831, my go to slow burner for my .270, .280, and 30-06, some H-4831SC for my .270, IMR 4064 for my .223 and .22-250 and my .308, and also for my two milsurps, 03-A3 and 1917 U.S. Enfield, IMR 4895 which is my Garand powder, Varget, BLC-2 for my 30-30 ane 8mm Mauser, RL-25 for my .300 WBY, RL-22 for my 7 Mag., and RL-17 for my 25s, .243, and .308. So you can see, I pretty well specialize loads for each cartridge.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Thanks snake, when I was really burning up ammo and others reloaded for me, 100 lbs of powder would not last long between me and other shooters at the range, given the amount of available free brass and at least 40 avid shooters... You were spot on as to what I was trying to say, thank you....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    snake284 wrote: »
    N320AW, I think, and it's a guess, that Doc Who was saying there SHOULD be a place like that. But not necessarily there is. I think he's like the rest of us, he wishes you could buy powder like that.

I personally don't mind buying powder by the pound because I will find a use for it. I'm not like some who are looking for a powder for all seasons because they don't want a bunch of different powders lying around. I like to have at least 5 different powders at hand and sometimes like now, I will have 10, so I can make the most efficient load possible in each rifle.

Right now on hand I have a little bit of IMR 4350, a very little IMR 3031, A couple pounds IMR 4831, my go to slow burner for my .270, .280, and 30-06, some H-4831SC for my .270, IMR 4064 for my .223 and .22-250 and my .308, and also for my two milsurps, 03-A3 and 1917 U.S. Enfield, IMR 4895 which is my Garand powder, Varget, BLC-2 for my 30-30 ane 8mm Mauser, RL-25 for my .300 WBY, RL-22 for my 7 Mag., and RL-17 for my 25s, .243, and .308. So you can see, I pretty well specialize loads for each cartridge.

I too am specialized. I just walked out of my reloading room and loaded 5 6m/m Remington's, 100 grain Speer Grand Slams with 49 grains of H4831SC. What I have done over the past few weeks is load 5 cartridges with several powder under about 10 different bullets. This is my control measure to ascertain which bullet is the most accurate with that powder and load.

I've found the 6m/m Remington can be loaded with many powders, from Varget on the quick side to even IMR7828 on the far end of the slow side. Most with good results.

Reloading is my hobby. What better hobby can one have. I wish more people around here reloaded and a sub-forum would be put up.
    With your knowledge, you are a great help to reloaders, and those of lesser experience, I hope your recommendation becomes a reality.
    All my rifles revolve around two powders....Varget and RL22...Black Powder for the Sharps....I like to keep it simple...
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    It won't help you now but I started noticing how often the manuals, or other sources called for 4350, 4831, and 4895. So I've tried to buy those when I was buying the powders I really wanted. So I have pounds of those. Plus 7828ssc and RL22.
    Also as soon as I buy a new rifle I'm on the hunt for powder. A few times I've borrowed a manual from the LGS to see if they had what I needed. And if not I could stop a few places on my way home.
    But powder supplies have gone skinny again around here.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,683 Senior Member
    Sub forums mean things get ignored. Look at some of the other forums out there. I won't mention one specifically, but as a hint.....not black, not white, but in the middle facial hair outdoors. 58 different sub forums with one or two posts.
    It's a bad idea.

czforum.com is the same way.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Sub forums mean things get ignored. Look at some of the other forums out there. I won't mention one specifically, but as a hint.....not black, not white, but in the middle facial hair outdoors. 58 different sub forums with one or two posts.
    It's a bad idea.

This.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    It's a bad idea.

I've seen a couple of those forums with 20 sub-sections. You're right. The activity on each subject is very limited. Too much, too thin. I've been here for 10 years and have watched enough, and been involved in enough to say that a reloading section wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Some other forums really go off the deep end. I wouldn't be surprised to find one that is primarily concerned with muzzle loaders and have a sub-category on UFO's. :silly:
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,935 Senior Member
    It's a bad idea.
    That's right, not only that, but, when a hijack occurs to a thread, some of the best action on this forum occurs. All this will/could be lost.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Thanks snake, when I was really burning up ammo and others reloaded for me, 100 lbs of powder would not last long between me and other shooters at the range, given the amount of available free brass and at least 40 avid shooters... You were spot on as to what I was trying to say, thank you....

You're welcome my friend
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I've seen a couple of those forums with 20 sub-sections. You're right. The activity on each subject is very limited. Too much, too thin. I've been here for 10 years and have watched enough, and been involved in enough to say that a reloading section wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Some other forums really go off the deep end. I wouldn't be surprised to find one that is primarily concerned with muzzle loaders and have a sub-category on UFO's. :silly:

Every forum has its resident experts that really know at least one facet of reloading and/or shooting, but I don't know anybody here that's been here very long that is inept. Those that don"t know something will usually ask> However, I've been on a couple of forums where some of the members are REALLY REALLY Clueless but they try to BS their way through.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Ask around, someone may have a small amount sitting around...most wouldn't mind giving it to you....
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    It was Hodgdons....

Didn't they have some 12 oz cans of powder at one time? Or was that IMR or Winchester?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,714 Senior Member
    I've seen a couple of those forums with 20 sub-sections. You're right. The activity on each subject is very limited. Too much, too thin. I've been here for 10 years and have watched enough, and been involved in enough to say that a reloading section wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Some other forums really go off the deep end. I wouldn't be surprised to find one that is primarily concerned with muzzle loaders and have a sub-category on UFO's. :silly:

I like the way this place is set up. Because I only 'dabble' in reloading compared with some of the members, it doesn't stop me reading every thread in every section..........and by having reloading threads in General firearms, I cant help but soak up knowledge, even though most of it will never be used. Same goes for the Personal Defense section.

It aint broke, so why does it need fixing.................?

On the OP's question/topic.................Over here I can buy a '20' pack of projectiles for load workup so that I don't end up with surplus projectiles if a particular load doesn't work out................I would love the powder companies to do the same thing with their product.......

Supplementary question: Can you make fireworks from gunpowder.................Just wondering?
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    [QUOTE=orchidman;
    Supplementary question: Can you make fireworks from gunpowder.................Just wondering?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Black Powder. Or I should say that is what those who make firecrackers/noisemakers and other similar things outta use, normally.

Also why about every year we hear about Fireworks stands/outlets/factories going off here in the states. Volatility of BP.

Others can share more about that on here than me.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Didn't they have some 12 oz cans of powder at one time? Or was that IMR or Winchester?

Yep...It was for their "Extreme Powders"....Varget, Retumbo, H4198,Benchmark, etc.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Supplementary question: Can you make fireworks from gunpowder.................Just wondering?

Yes...they're called "Pipe Bombs" and their production is generally frowned upon by the powers that be......
    Fireworks powders are varied to function, rockets, showers of colors, explosions, colors, etc..
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »

Yes, fireworks can be made from smokeless gunpowder. The fastest burning flake and ball powders are best for that purpose. I could tell you more if you give me some specifics on what you want to make. If you have UN-waxed brown wrapping paper, wood glue, and cannon fuse, then you can make some really good, loud, and potentially body parts removing fireworks. A supply if fine sawdust is also a plus(for end plugs).

Making your own black powder is pretty easy, too. Lots of books on it on the internet. If you want, I can give you some good suggestions on books for making your own fireworks.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.