Know what I hate most about reloading?

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    BP is better for fireworks since smokeless powder is often unsuitable for fireworks due to needing better ignition in order to fire, smokeless also often burns too hot throughout the cardboard tubing and fizzling and burning rather than rocketing, or just plain blowing up if the powder burns too fast.
    Also, BP is often very fine, for fuses, and explosive effect, very fast burning...
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Yes, fireworks can be made from smokeless gunpowder. The fastest burning flake and ball powders are best for that purpose. I could tell you more if you give me some specifics on what you want to make. If you have UN-waxed brown wrapping paper, wood glue, and cannon fuse, then you can make some really good, loud, and potentially body parts removing fireworks. A supply if fine sawdust is also a plus(for end plugs).

Making your own black powder is pretty easy, too. Lots of books on it on the internet. If you want, I can give you some good suggestions on books for making your own fireworks.

For any Govt agencies that are monitoring this site, I just want to say that I was kidding when I asked about making fireworks from smokeless powder............and I have absolutely no intention of even attempting this.....................

Thanks for the offer Mike.................:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Dang, I long for the days of M-80s and Cherry Bombs. A slingshot and a friend lighting the fuse after you had it ready to fire was some kinda fun...............................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,390 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I like the way this place is set up. Because I only 'dabble' in reloading compared with some of the members, it doesn't stop me reading every thread in every section..........and by having reloading threads in General firearms, I cant help but soak up knowledge, even though most of it will never be used. Same goes for the Personal Defense section.

It aint broke, so why does it need fixing.................
    Yep. Because this forum is set up with such limited sections, members get exposed to subjects that would otherwise be ignored. For example, if there were "Black Powder" and "Specialty Pistol" sections of the forum, I would probably breeze right past them, never knowing what they are about. Since both topics are in the general shooting section, I read about them all the time which has sparked my interest in the two subjects that I would have never given a second thought.

With that, I think it makes me a better rounded and more knowledgeable shooter and I get more enjoyment from the hobby. We have recruited a whole lot of new reloaders by having it lumped into the general shooting section. I think it is a good thing.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Every forum has its resident experts that really know at least one facet of reloading and/or shooting, but I don't know anybody here that's been here very long that is inept. Those that don"t know something will usually ask> However, I've been on a couple of forums where some of the members are REALLY REALLY Clueless but they try to BS their way through.

Ya got that right Snake I like this forum the best...I don't visit other forums anymore. That's me!!!!!!!... If I don't know I will ask, my questions may seem trivial, to some,but believe you me, its important to me.
    "It is what it is":usa:
    KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) :worthy::worthy: :applause::applause: :up::up:

So simple minded people like me :conehead::conehead: can follow along!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,375 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Nope. It's been probably 10 years ago. Iirc, they sold a four pack of powder, 1/4 pound each.

About that time, I sent a suggestion to a powder company (can't remember which one now) to do exactly that and tailor them to specific rounds...in other words, a .308/30-06 pack. Soon afterwards, they began doing this. I never received an acknowledgement and I'm not sure that my suggestion wasn't just coincidental. I posted it on this forum at the time, and the Marshall said it was coincidental. At any rate, the idea (whose ever it was) didn't fly. I still think it was a great idea.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,230 Senior Member
    For any Govt agencies that are monitoring this site, I just want to say that I was kidding when I asked about making fireworks from smokeless powder............and I have absolutely no intention of even attempting this.....................

Knowledge is a lot like the old saying by Will Rogers. "It's a lot easier letting the cat out of the bag than it is putting it back in."

Doctor Who is only partially right on the smokeless powder thing. Flake can be used as is, but ball powder needs to be run in a rotary tumbler with brass ball media to crush it, and same for the stick powders. Reduced to a fine grain powder, they work just fine. It's all about surface area. The small firecrackers that come in little packs are your clue to how to make your own. The rest is just experimentation with tube thickness to 'get the best bang for the buck'. :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Fireworks powders are varied to function, rockets, showers of colors, explosions, colors, etc..

Flash powder is a pyrotechnic composition, a mixture of oxidizer and metallic fuel, which burns quickly and if confined produces a loud report. It is widely used in theatrical pyrotechnics and fireworks (namely salutes, e.g., cherry bombs, M-80s, firecrackers, and cap gun shots) and was once used for flashes in photography.
    What is used in Flash Bang grenades SWAT uses?
    Big Chief wrote: »
    What is used in Flash Bang grenades SWAT uses?

Don't know, but I know how to make a flash BOOM! that make the flash bang look like a Lady Finger firecracker! It's softball sized, too, and the flash is really bright in the dark. Consists of mechanical mix of baby powder fine black powder, aluminum powder, and antimony trisulfide.

If any of y'all are interested in "rollin' your own", here's a link to a company that sells individual chemicals and full kits ready to go. I've ordered from them before.

http://www.skylighter.com/mall/chemicals.asp
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member

Double check the ATF site to be sure, but you should be okay (legally) if you keep it under a quarter ounce of explosive/propellant. Over a quarter ounce makes it a destructive device, which requires a tax stamp. Heck, some guy (Wingnut-something or other) on arfcom got a tax stamp to make a hand granade, so it's doable, but seems like a lot of trouble for not much reward IMO.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Dang, I long for the days of M-80s and Cherry Bombs. A slingshot and a friend lighting the fuse after you had it ready to fire was some kinda fun...............................

Ever shoot those 12 Gage shotgun shells that launch an M-80 ? they are used for bird control.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,208 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Powder.

Every time I want to load up a couple of rounds for a gun, NONE of the powders I have on hand are listed for that caliber. So, I need to eiher go on the hunt for it locally, and pay $30 for a pound just to see if that powder will like the bullet weight and gun I have, or buy online and pay for hazmat shipping... and still not be sure that it'll work.

Welcome to my world. I still want to buy some 4381 for my .30-06 and 200gr Nosler AccuBond, but $32 just to see if I can eek out 100 fps more over my 4350 load seems dumb. Especially because 4381 isn't terribly "useful" in any other caliber I have.

But my biggest peeve with reloading...case prep.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Makes terrible fireworks anyways.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    The problem faced with using smokeless powder in fireworks is that smokeless powder is designed for use with a primer, black powder is much easier to ignite, with a fuse for instance.
    The problem faced with using smokeless powder in fireworks is that smokeless powder is designed for use with a primer, black powder is much easier to ignite, with a fuse for instance.

Yep. Smokeless also needs rapid builds in initial pressure to burn effectively. Blackpowder just don't care.
    There are three kinds of knowledge; that acquired by reading, that acquired by watching, and that acquired by doing. Knowledge acquired by doing all three is the best.
    If you have not experimented with fine ground smokeless powder and hand rolled aluminum foil reinforced tubing, then you do NOT know what smokeless powder is capable of in this form. Sayin'. :roll2:

tennmike wrote: »
    There are three kinds of knowledge; that acquired by reading, that acquired by watching, and that acquired by doing. Knowledge acquired by doing all three is the best.
    If you have not experimented with fine ground smokeless powder and hand rolled aluminum foil reinforced tubing, then you do NOT know what smokeless powder is capable of in this form. Sayin'. :roll2:

I was referring to its off the shelf pellet form. Yes, ground up to exponentially magnify the surface area will result in much more rapid burn.

I used to grind up model rocket engines for not so cheap, but immensely effective black powder.

I'm not saying a capped 48" piece of extruded steel pipe was used to launch 8oz egg sinkers to god knows where, but...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,273 Senior Member
    toymachine wrote: »
    Double check the ATF site to be sure, but you should be okay (legally) if you keep it under a quarter ounce of explosive/propellant. Over a quarter ounce makes it a destructive device, which requires a tax stamp. Heck, some guy (Wingnut-something or other) on arfcom got a tax stamp to make a hand granade, so it's doable, but seems like a lot of trouble for not much reward IMO.

Dude....He lives in New Zealand....Don't think what the ATF thinks matters much...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Dude....He lives in New Zealand....Don't think what the ATF thinks matters much...

:that:

Our firearms/explosives laws make the ATF's restrictions look puny in comparison. Ya cant even hold a naked flame to your butt and fart without studying and passing an exam.........and even then you have to apply for a permit!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,736 Senior Member
    It was Hodgdons....

Ramshot did it, too, and may still do so.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Ya cant even hold a naked flame to your butt and fart without studying and passing an exam.........and even then you have to apply for a permit!

To fart, or to hold the flame to your butt?
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    To fart, or to hold the flame to your butt?

:tooth:

To fart while holding a flame near your butt.....
  • StenfieldStenfield Member Posts: 39 Member
    Years ago a couple of LGS had small little cabinets that had decent sized plastic bottles of All the major Mfgs powders each contained about 2 ozs very handy for load development but they were only around for a few years good for handgun loads get enough but the rifle powders only had enough for maybe 10eds or less believe they cost $5-6 a bottle
    I don't see how 2 ounces of powder is worth buying..... What would make sense is a powder wholesaler selling bulk quantities, broken down into 1 lb amounts of each needed type of powder ....
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    When I was introduced, to the reloading world in the late 1990's, there was no part of it I didn't like!! however, I can relate to bullsi1911's frustration, especially, when I thought I had more components, on hand than I actually had.... Found myself having to stop the middle of a reloading session, to go buy more.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • toymachinetoymachine Senior Member Posts: 761 Senior Member

D'oh! Okay, replace "ATF" with "applicable government agency". And don't forget the local/regional governments. California or New York, for example, would likely have much more strict rules in place, beyond the national government agencies'.
    "Is 'milk bottle' literally a racist term?"
    "It is now." - Jack Fraggs
    I can tell you what NYC was like, it was not so bad, you only needed a powder / ammunition room, with fairly simple specifications, FDNY being in charge of making sure fairly simple safety rules in place and being followed, pay a $50 fee, get a certificate, and your GTG....... The fire inspector was always professional and courteous.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    I don't see how 2 ounces of powder is worth buying..... What would make sense is a powder wholesaler selling bulk quantities, broken down into 1 lb amounts of each needed type of powder ....

Not a bad idea. However, the problem I have with that is that the bulk powder, from the factory, would have to be de-canted and repackaged. There is definitely a possible human error at play with doing that. I insist that any powder I use come DIRECT from the factory who produced it.