Home Main Category Clubhouse

35mm slide scanners, anyone have recommenations?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
My nephew sent me a huge bunch of family 35mm slides, and now I've got 300+ of them.

I've checked out various commercial slide-to-DVD services and scanning all these slides will cost me at least 100 bucks, likely more.

I'd earlier asked about this but now I've got enough slides on hand to justify buying a 35mm scanner. I see plenty of them in the $80-$110 price range.

I need a scanner that's mostly for 35mm slides, in that my HP multi-use Inkjet does fine scans for all my color photos. It would be USB connected to my laptop and I'd scan the slides and save them. I'm looking for approx 2000-3500 dpi maybe, whatever is good for creating a decent version of the slides that can be viewed onscreen or maybe color printed, not ultra high res, just decent.

Anyone have recommendations for a 35mm slide scanner? There are plenty of them listed on Amazon for the 100 buck price range but I'd like a personal recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,446 Senior Member
    my sis bought one of the "wolverine" brands and is happy with it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Wolverine+scanner&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Note that i dont know its specs, but she only plans on showing the pics on a monitor so the DPI isnt really too important.

If you know your end game with the slides, id look for a scanner that does that. I have a boat load of slides i want to convert too and bought a page scanner that does film/slides many years ago but it only does 8 slides at a time and is sloooooooow. I may decide to look again since things are way faster and my mac is faster too.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,080 Senior Member
    Try the Smithsonian. They're relics.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »

So are you, a relic that is, still, we do want you around however antiquated you may happen to be...... lol, that was quite witty....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »

Which is why I'm gonna scan the slides, and save them on disc, duh.

And yeah, I know I misspelled the thread title. Lawsuit lines form on the left.
    cpj wrote: »
    Is there a setting on your current scanner that would allow you to scan them?

No. It only scans opaque junk. Works great for scanning photos, which I've been doing lately, but no illumination for slides. I need a slide-specific scanner.

By the way, the HP Officejet 4630 is a terrific little multipurpose color/BW scanner/printer/fax/copier, document feeder works great for non-crinkled documents, scanner is multipurpose for color or BW stuff, and the printer is just fine. Cost me less than 100 bucks, built-in WiFi, nice.
    ilove22s wrote: »
    my sis bought one of the "wolverine" brands and is happy with it.

If you could get the model number I'd aperceete it. Wolverine is one of the brands I'm considering. Thanks.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,815 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    If you could get the model number I'd aperceete it. Wolverine is one of the brands I'm considering. Thanks.

Many flatbed scanners have a slide-scanning attachment. Just find a brand and a price that suits you that has one available.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I've been using a Canon CanoScan 5600. No problems. I bought it originally for slides several years ago. I don't know if they have a newer model or not.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    The Plustek OpticFilm 8100 is the low end that we sell, but it is around $349. Good slide scanners are going to be very high resolution, like the Plustek's at 7200 dpi.

http://plustek.com/usa/products/opticfilm-series/opticfilm-8100/

8100_01.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Thanks for the suggestion, Bigdan but I'm not gonna spend more than about 100 bucks. I know there are plenty of higher priced pro-level scanners out there, but for my purposes, the resolution of a lower priced scanner is fine. I don't need the pro type of resolution, only enough for viewing and maybe printing on my color printer now and then.
    Many flatbed scanners have a slide-scanning attachment. Just find a brand and a price that suits you that has one available.

Many scanners exist, true. I'm not gonna buy an entirely new flatbed scanner plus the attachment too. My Officejet works fine for the vast bulk of my needs, except for transparencies, so I'm looking for a dedicated 35mm scanner for about 100 bucks.

As I originally asked, which brand of dedicated scanner do you personally know of that you'd recommend?
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestion, Bigdan but I'm not gonna spend more than about 100 bucks. I know there are plenty of higher priced pro-level scanners out there, but for my purposes, the resolution of a lower priced scanner is fine. I don't need the pro type of resolution, only enough for viewing and maybe printing on my color printer now and then.

FWIW... I feel the same way about triggers.

However, resolution is only one aspect of slide scanning. Detail and color rendition is the other. You will definitely get what you pay for in a scanner.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,815 Senior Member
    Many scanners exist, true. I'm not gonna buy an entirely new flatbed scanner plus the attachment too. My Officejet works fine for the vast bulk of my needs, except for transparencies, so I'm looking for a dedicated 35mm scanner for about 100 bucks.

As I originally asked, which brand of dedicated scanner do you personally know of that you'd recommend?

I was talking about one that has the attachment included for the selling price, which many of them do. If you can get one for $100 that has the slide attachment, what difference does it make if it has photo and slide scanning capabilities? Cannon makes good scanners.

Amazon:

NEW SLIDE SCANNERS: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=slide+scanner

USED: $39.01 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CanoScan-D1250U2F-Flatbed-Scanner/dp/B00005YX4P/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1435678455&sr=8-4&keywords=cannon+scanner+with+slide+adapter

USED: $44.60 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-CanoScan-5000F-Scanner/dp/B000071O0I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1435678455&sr=8-7&keywords=cannon+scanner+with+slide+adapter

USED: 3 prices http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HDWZLC/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I was talking about one that has the attachment included for the selling price, which many of them do. If you can get one for $100 that has the slide attachment, what difference does it make if it has photo and slide scanning capabilities? Cannon makes good scanners.

I'm cognizant of the fact that there are many scanners, Canon and other brands, and yeah, I was able to go to Amazon or other sites and find plenty of scanners in all price ranges.

The purpose of my thread, however, is asking for a recommendation for scanners that personal experience can attest to the scanner being a good buy.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    FWIW... I feel the same way about triggers.

However, resolution is only one aspect of slide scanning. Detail and color rendition is the other. You will definitely get what you pay for in a scanner.

D

Absolutely, and I know full well that the more I pay, the better I get. But I'm definitely okay with a "reasonable" resolution that's suitable for just viewing and maybe printing a few 4x5 pics w my Officejet. So my price range is about 100 bucks (80-120 bucks range).
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,446 Senior Member

this is the one my sis got.

she likes it, but as mentioned, its probably only good for looking on monitors or small prints < 8x10.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018538-REG/wolverine_f2d20super_super_f2d_4_in_1_film.html
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member

You need to start posting instructions in the thread title. That way you won't get so many useless posts from people trying to help you.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    ...... That way you won't get so many useless posts from people trying to help you.

Same old, same old.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    If the price of paying a company scan the slides and the price of a scanner are that close why would you buy the scanner?

You are clearly a very busy person so spending all those hours scanning slides is going to cut into the time you could spend doing your other very important person stuff.

Why spend a $100 for a lesser scanner you will most likely not use are this project? Especially when you can have them done on a much better scanner for the same money.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Buford wrote: »
    You need to start posting instructions in the thread title. That way you won't get so many useless posts from people trying to help you.

Well, my initial post said this: "Anyone have recommendations for a 35mm slide scanner? There are plenty of them listed on Amazon for the 100 buck price range but I'd like a personal recommendation."

See? I said PERSONAL recommendation. I thought this would be sufficient. Maybe I need to add this to a picher of some dead celebrity who's asking the question or add a bunch of animated emoticons? I stuck however to the English language, regardless of whether I misspelled "recommendations" in the thread title.

Ya see, I've got this newfangled thing called a computer and I can find lots of scanners for sale, and I really don't need links posted for listing them, as my google searches or Amazon searches, among others, can locate plenty of such gadgets. I was asking for PERSONAL recommendations, such as "I bought a Sony and it's junk" or "My Sony model 244 is excellent" and so on. Capiche?

Besides, long thread titles truncate and so I usually write the details into the first posting under the title. Often I don't do this perfectly and sometimes I'm spot on. I thought that asking for personal recommendations was sufficient. Maybe not to you. Sorry about that. How would YOU have written the request otherwise?
    If the price of paying a company scan the slides and the price of a scanner are that close why would you buy the scanner?

You are clearly a very busy person so spending all those hours scanning slides is going to cut into the time you could spend doing your other very important person stuff.

Why spend a $100 for a lesser scanner you will most likely not use are this project? Especially when you can have them done on a much better scanner for the same money.

Well, good question. I juggled with this and the general idea is that I've now got nearly 500 slides to scan, looking in my old photo storage boxes again. I could certainly send them to a scan service -- I checked the specs and there are several good commercial services and due to the customer ratings, I picked ScanCafe as the better one.

Price of getting a modest cost scanner is about 100 bucks and with the hassle of packing and shipping all the slides, and the fact that the cost of scanning that many slides I've now located will be about $200, I'm okay with a scanner of my own. I'm retired and I actually do have the time to do it, a dozen or so at each sitting, since I'm not on a tight schedule.

Getting a scanner vs sending the slides away is a tossup, but with the quantity of slides I've got, no rush to get it done, and fact that I've got time to scan them anyway? Leaning toward purchasing a home scanner. I could however flip that choice later, if I want to, so your question is valid.

When I do either, home or send away, I'll report back on the results so as to help others make the decision and pick the best route. Maybe a cheapie scanner won't produce desired results, maybe the sendoff service proves unreliable? I dunno till I try. But I'll share the results afterward, regardless.