Home Main Category Hunting

If I EVER.............................

2»

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I am in your corner. 1955 Winchester model 70 in 375 H&H. If I cant kill it with that I aint hunting it............( I will leave the 222 at home :tooth:)
    I think you should take the .222, just use solids and we'll call you Karamojo orchid dude.
    As for me I'll string along with Jay and take a double in one of the nitros. But really we have to keep in mind their laws. IMHO, there are many of our magnums that would work just fine and do double duty on other game.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I have shot big bore rifles with a brake and it makes an immense difference in recoil effect and beating reduction. The problem is that unless you want to take great leaps toward catastrophic hearing loss, I think that they are simply unreasonable for field use in a potential quick-shot situation. I made the mistake of taking a snap shot at a deer that popped up in the grass using a muzzlebraked .300 Win Mag and will never make that error again (both shooting it without hearing protection and shooting such an overpowerd round at a whitetail at close range).

Ah, but my friend, you missed something about me. I'm already legally deaf. No catastrophic loss possible. And my hearing aids block high decibel sounds. So if I forget my hearing protection, It still doesn't bother me. I haven't shot a 460 yet, but my 300 has a brake and it doesn't bother me a bit. I use hearing protection at the range usually. But if I don't, as long as I keep my hearing aids turned on and fitted tight, I'm fine. And when I'm hunting I only use the hearing aids so I can still hear stuff.

Always, while hunting or at the range, use hearing protection of some kind. For hunting, if I didn't have these hearing aids which do about the same thing, I would use something like Walker Game Ear. At the range I would use both plugs and muffs. Believe me, you can't afford not to. When you're young your ears will recover nicely to the point you don't realize anything's wrong. But as you get older the damage will magnify and before you know it you'll be like me, where you can't hear without hearing aids, and that sucks, but not in a good way.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,642 Senior Member
    Wambli - that is one beee-youu-teeee-full rifle. Something very "pure" about it, if that makes any sense.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Wambli - that is one beee-youu-teeee-full rifle. Something very "pure" about it, if that makes any sense.
    Yes. Yes, indeed!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in my eyes that is one of the finest guns I have ever seen, love the M-70 safety .
    Only thing missing is a pic of the Cape Buffalo I hope you get.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »

I had the honor of holding that rifle. Put it to my shoulder and looked down the barrel. It screams to be shot at something very large and dangerous.

At the SE Shoot I had the honor of shooting Six's .375, which taught me that a precision rifle can be a brute, but at the same time not pummel you to death when you pull the trigger like I thought it would.

Wambli's rifle has that "classic beauty" that is seldom found in these modern times. It looks fantastic in the pictures, but let me tell you, it is even finer looking in person.

It sure would be at home in the "Dark Continent"
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    Excellent choice...a little too much for me. I'd go with the 416 Rigby myself...all the stopping power you need with mountains of nostalgia built in.

I understand the 270-30-06 battles, but the funny part is that all the PH's I was around in SA all packed 270's when not hunting in dangerous game country. My dad and I had our luggage (rifles too) 2 days behind us, and had to borrow rifles from our PH's vault. Mine was a beautiful Pre-64 M70 in 270 and my dad picked a customized Mauser in 270. Ironically, we both both shoot 3006's!

Anyways, back to your topic, if I get lucky enough to go back.....I'm going for a buffalo!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Once I get the Pac Nor barrel for my 935 i will be able to accurately hurl 1000 grains at about 1600 fps or lighter slugs like 500gr into the 2000's. Have the shot barrel for 3" buck or Mozambique loads and fowl as well. Don't know if the 10rnd extension is legal over there though. I started my experiments with 700NE bullets.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    bellcat wrote: »
    Excellent choice...a little too much for me. I'd go with the 416 Rigby myself...all the stopping power you need with mountains of nostalgia built in.

I understand the 270-30-06 battles, but the funny part is that all the PH's I was around in SA all packed 270's when not hunting in dangerous game country. My dad and I had our luggage (rifles too) 2 days behind us, and had to borrow rifles from our PH's vault. Mine was a beautiful Pre-64 M.

Anyways, back to your topic, if I get lucky enough to go back.....I'm going for a buffalo!

Hey Bellcat, I too love the 30-06. At one time for several years until a couple years back I had 2 06s, but I had one rebarreled to 9.3 x 62, another old African cartridge. I also have a .280 Remington. Which one i pick to take hunting largely depends on my nostalgic mood. They've all done their job without flaw and as for killing power for what I hunt, I have no preference, because I know that any one of them with the right bullet is going to kill dependably if I do my part.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Thanks. I never understood the "value" of such a gun until I got this one in my hands. It's humbling to examine it closely and picture in your head the guy(s) who took on that engraving job. ANY slip on any of the million little cuts on the metal would have ruined the project. It is flawless enough to admire the incredible consistency and yet has the small differences in diameter etc in the detail work that let you know it was all done by hand. You REALLY have to love what you do to do this kind of work. A great painter can cover his mistakes with another coat of paint. A master gun engraver does not have that luxury.

Wambli, I don't know for sure how much cash you had to give for that beautiful rifle, but if it's a Westley Richards I'd say Somewhere Well North of $20000. I know a guy that has a Kleingunther in 7 Rem. Mag. with metal work like that and it cost him just north of 4 grand 25 years ago. And it wasn't a Westley Richards. So you are now playing with the big boys. Beautiful!
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »

"It's pretty potent but it doesn't slam me as hard as my 9.3 x 62 does. That convinced me of what I'd heard about Weatherby Mark Vs. The stock designs help a lot with recoil. And with the brake, it softens them down right nice. And I have heard and read that the 460 equipped with a brake is very manageable."

You're right on about the Weatherby stock design. It diminishes felt recoil more than any other factory gun I've owned.

I have fired several 460 Weatherbys from the bench and am still here to tell about it. Sure, the recoil is fairly heavy, but for 3-5 shots not at all punishing. The 378 Weatherby, on the other hand, will get your attention quickly.The recoil of the 378 is very sharp as opposed to a 458 etc. I had mine rebarreled to 416 Rigby . . . my favorite heavy cartridge. I've shot the 9.3X62 Mauser a few times and found it's recoil comfortable. Just a bit less than my 375 H&H.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Lets just call it a solid 5 figure rifle. Not in the league of a highly embellished double but definitely north of your average Mauser Custom. Thanks!

Gotcha!