Home Main Category Hunting

Yesterday was a good day..................

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,365 Senior Member
.............because, instead of being on patrol in the ballot blocks, I changed roles and became a hunter in a ballot block!

Through the good grace of Bloodhound, I was invited to be one of his 2 companions and go for a hunt. Plans were made during the week and at 4am I picked up GB and BH and headed up to the forest. The block we had ran north to south and normally the prevailing wind was a South Westerly.........but yesterday it blew from the Northeast..........which meant that to hunt into the wind, we had to walk the 6 K boundary to the southern most point before we could start hunting.

After a leisurely 'stroll' we arrived at our starting point and as we walked west on the track at the bottom of the block first GB and then BH stopped at their entry points while I continued further out to the coast to hunt the dunes. Had to wait for about 20mins till it was light enough to shoot, then I made my way through the pines and up into the sand dunes to find a vantage point. (You may remember my thread about the 'etched' bolt on my Tikka which occurred when I sighted the 7mm08 in with the 120gr reloads at 200m............in anticipation of some long range shots.)

From my first vantage point I had a field of fire out to about 1000yds ( not that I would have attempted one) and after glassing the area thoroughly with no success I moved slowly north to another high point. Being careful not to 'skyline' as I walked over the next ridge I found another spot and started to sweep the area with my bino's. after about 3 mins and while still glassing 'out there', I saw some movement in the corner of my eye and slowly lowered the binos to see a couple of animals sneaking through the dunes about 70yds away.

All I could see were their heads and the occasional glimpse of a shoulder........but noticed that the lead animal 'had bone'. As I tracked the animal through the scrub in the scope I couldn't get a clear shot.............but I knew it would have to cross the track I had been following so I stilled my beating heart and waited. Its antlers appeared above the scrub next to the track and as it stepped out I whistled, it stopped and lifted its head. I slowly squeezed of the shot, making allowances for 'hold under'. At the shot, the buck immediately reversed its course, showing no signs of a hit and ran in the opposite direction.........at that stage I was sure the shot was good.......but in the back of my mind was the thought that I may have held too low ( considering the 200m zero)

It continued away from me for further 40 yds and as it crested a dune going away from me, I whistled again and it stopped briefly. Simultaneously as I squeezed the trigger again, it reared up onto its back legs and toppled backwards. I waited a minute or two to make sure it was down and then slowly made my way over to find 'this' poking out from the Pampas grass.................

ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20064_zps04di3lap.jpg

WOOHOO.............7.15 am and my hunting day was finished.

Dragged it out and had a closer look............It was bigger than I thought and is the biggest fallow buck I have shot for quite some time.

ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20070_zpsdnvwgs2r.jpg

Switched my radio on ( we only use them either every 2 hours ......or when we hear shots) and told BH I had an animal down. He said he would head over so I started to dress it out.
The first shot was a lung shot, the second missed completely ( no doubt due to its 'toppling over).

Here is the damage caused by the 120gr Sierra being pushed by 44.5gr of Varget.

Entry of bullet...........

ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20077_zpsvt0m78to.jpg

Exit through right lobe.......
ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20078_zps0ummfhww.jpg

Left lobe entry/exit
ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20080_zps5duor4fn.jpg

Will take more pics of meat damage ( if any) when I butcher it later this week.

Here is a pic of where it was when the first shot was fired ( orange dot)

ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20093_zpsifjt5f0x.jpg

and where it reared up and toppled over about 30-40yds later ( orange dot)

ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20097_zps8fr7nvyt.jpg

BH arrived as I was cleaning up and it took 2 of us to drag it to the to the top of the ridge ( I couldn't drag it uphill it was so heavy). BH then continued north through the dunes while I went back for my pack etc and I then guided the buck as I dragged it downhill to where I knew there was a vehicle track and managed to hang it in the pines.

( here is todays hunting tip...........I carry a long strop from a broken cargo tiedown which still has the hook on the end. To hang the deer I loop the hook around its neck, throw the flat strap over a branch, tie a loop in it and then stand in the loop while I lift the animals head. The flat strap will pass over the branch without digging in like a rope would. Body weight coupled with lifting the animal means I can lift almost my own weight off the ground)

More to follow about the rest of our day..............
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Nice buck!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    nice shooting great deer, hey
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    .............After taking a 15 minute break, I headed back to the dunes to catch up with BH. He gave his position over the radio so I headed north.

30 mins later, just before I crested a ridge I gave him another call...........he described his position and as I replied I noted a 4wd about 600m further to the west heading out of the dunes.........I called him again to tell him about the 4wd ( This vehicle had ignored the warning signs and shouldn't have been in the hunting blocks) and to tell him that it may spook animals towards him....... He started to reply, then his radio went dead..............................and BOOM!

The 4wd had sprung couple of animals that headed his way, and he picked out a large doe and took the shot. He called me back to say he wasn't sure of a hit and as I replied, BOOM again...............This time he saw the animal fall.

I headed over the ridge and gave him another call............He then walked me into where the doe was laying.

The orange dot shows where he was, looking from the doe's position and I ranged it at 184yds. Not bad for a standing shot...........I tell you, that guy can shoot!

ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20107_zps4lctojb9.jpg

He made his way over and and I took this pic of his animal and his Sako 75 in 7mm08.

ballot20hunt20and20previous20weeks20patrol20pics20111_zpspt6sa8bp.jpg

The shot was taken downhill as the deer was quartering facing towards him .............the bullet entered slightly high, broke and severed the spine and exited behind the offside shoulder.

After he dressed it out I gave him a hand to drag it over the dunes and into the trees (it was a big doe, almost as big as the buck) and we hung it next to a track where we thought it could be retrieved by one of the patrols........

8.30 and both our days were done as far as deer go......so we had a leisurely stroll back to see how GB had got on as we had heard a shot from him earlier but I couldn't get him on my radio..........Alas, it was not to be as he had sprung 3 animals at 30 yds and unfortunately not scored.

I headed back to the vehicle to wait for a patrol to see if we could retrieve the deer while BH continued hunting looking for a pig he had seen the tracks of and GB continued looking for a deer.

I spoke to the patrol and he followed me around the boundary of the block until we picked up the buck and then we continued along a track to retrieve the doe........Unfortunately the closest I could get to the doe was about 1.2k so I had to walk in and carry it back to the vehicle............and I damn near killed myself doing it!!

After loading it up we headed back to the carpark and I then went back to try and help GB get on to an animal. Despite both BH and my efforts, GB never got a shot and we headed home at the end of the day, tired but happy about a successful hunt and the enjoyment that comes with spending time 'on the hill' with good buddies.
    Nice buck!

Thanks.
    NN wrote: »
    nice shooting great deer, hey

Thanks Ned. It made up for the 4 weekends I have put in doing patrols over the past 7 weeks....and watching/ helping other hunters enjoying their hunts.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,413 Senior Member
    What a great outing! Nicely done great shooting. Enjoy some loin roast for me! Mushroom red wine sauce, asparagus and new potatoes....yum!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    .............because, instead of being on patrol in the ballot blocks, I changed roles and became a hunter in a ballot block!

( here is todays hunting tip...........I carry a long strop from a broken cargo tiedown which still has the hook on the end. To hang the deer I loop the hook around its neck, throw the flat strap over a branch, tie a loop in it and then stand in the loop while I lift the animals head. The flat strap will pass over the branch without digging in like a rope would. Body weight coupled with lifting the animal means I can lift almost my own weight off the ground)

More to follow about the rest of our day..............

You did right well for using a woman's gun, I mean a rifle for a 6 year old!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Seriously, nice deer. Congrats!:applause:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,187 Senior Member
    Great looking deer and write up
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Elk creek wrote: »
    What a great outing! Nicely done great shooting. Enjoy some loin roast for me! Mushroom red wine sauce, asparagus and new potatoes....yum!

Thanks Elk...............but this animal is going to be cut up for steaks, with the trimmings used for sausages and salami's. I will however enjoy some fresh venison steaks, pan seared with wild ginger and a touch of garlic and served with a 'jus' made using some of the 70yr old port.............:tooth:
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Great story and lots of detail, but how do you manage to leave the really important stuff out? -;)

I'm guessing this is a fallow deer due to its palmated antlers. Is that correct?

Second, about how much did it weigh?

Inquiring minds and all that, you know.

Regardless, congrats on a great hunt.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    snake284 wrote: »
    You did right well for using a woman's gun, I mean a rifle for a 6 year old!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Seriously, nice deer. Congrats!:applause:

Thanks Mike, I really wanted to use a 270 but figured that, with the long walk in, the weight of having to carry a couple of hundred rounds to finish it off with would probably kill me...........
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Great story and lots of detail, but how do you manage to leave the really important stuff out? -;)

I'm guessing this is a fallow deer due to its palmated antlers. Is that correct?

Yes.

Second, about how much did it weigh?

Bh and I estimated that it would have been 150lb+. It looked to be about 6-7 yrs old. When I tried to lift it into the jeep unaided, I could only lift the front end off the ground. When I hoisted it up into the tree using my body weight as a counter balance( it was gutted at that stage) it was close to being an even contest!

Inquiring minds and all that, you know.

Regardless, congrats on a great hunt.

Thanks.

Edited to add: After it was hung with its back legs touching the ground, It was a foot taller than me to its nose, and I am 5' 10 1/2"....
    A little bit more on the ballistics.

When it dropped, I went straight to the animal as I didn't need to track it. After field dressing it I went to have a look at where it was when the shot hit it. I found its tracks where it stopped when I first whistled at it and took the shot..................Between me and the animal were parts of its lung tissue and a little blood spray for about 3 feet........and on the far side was splatter marks and lung tissue for about 5 feet.

Once again It seemed to give credence to my theory that when the bullet enters the animal, it pressurises the internals and that pressure seeks the line of least resistance which is the entry hole...........until the exit wound opens up the other side of the body.
    orchidman wrote: »
    Thanks Elk...............but this animal is going to be cut up for steaks, with the trimmings used for sausages and salami's. I will however enjoy some fresh venison steaks, pan seared with wild ginger and a touch of garlic and served with a 'jus' made using some of the 70yr old port.............:tooth:
    Oh please, just cut one 4" section of loin season with fresh garlic, black pepper and sea salt sear it on the grill then roast on medium heat until a beautiful medium rare. It will be the best venison you will eat......please do it for the children.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,138 Senior Member
    No ground shrinkage on that one! Nice work! What are daytime temps like there?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,554 Senior Member
    Outstanding report!!! Love it!

Thats the first non-spike buck I think I've seen you shoot! Pretty animal.

Bullet did good work, it seems.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Oh please, just cut one 4" section of loin season with fresh garlic, black pepper and sea salt sear it on the grill then roast on medium heat until a beautiful medium rare. It will be the best venison you will eat......please do it for the children.

Ok, my salivating mouth insists..........will post up a 'field' report.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    No ground shrinkage on that one! Nice work! What are daytime temps like there?

Thanks. 2 weeks ago while on patrol the temp was -5 until about 10am when it finally climbed into positive numbers. Yesterday it only went as low as 10degrees ( Celsius)
    Zee wrote: »
    Outstanding report!!! Love it!

Thanks

Thats the first non-spike buck I think I've seen you shoot! Pretty animal.

I am a meat hunter at heart and while I wont pass up the opportunity at a trophy, Spikers are on the no-go list as part of our herd management process in the balloted hunting area.

Bullet did good work, it seems.

Yep.........cant argue with the performance........the shot placement could have been possibly a little further forward but I aint complaining considering the widow of opportunity that presented itself. It will be interesting to see what 'blood' damage if any there is to the front shoulders etc..
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Awesome hunt. Great field report. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,615 Senior Member
    You've got a great animal there and a good shot. Over here, however, the deer don't have orange dots on them. :)
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Excellent day. Good shooting.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Nicely done Alec, you never cease to amaze me........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Nice Deer!!! Congratulations!!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    Very nice report and a fine buck! Well done.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Gene L wrote: »
    You've got a great animal there and a good shot. Over here, however, the deer don't have orange dots on them. :)

Thanks. I ran out of blue dots when I was marking deer on my last patrol and orange were the only ones left. :tooth:
    Excellent day. Good shooting.

Thanks. It was a welcome change from being on patrol and watching others.
    Nicely done Alec, you never cease to amaze me........Robin

Sometimes I amaze myself Robin..........
    Nice Deer!!! Congratulations!!

Luis

Thanks.
    Very nice report and a fine buck! Well done.

Thank you. The whole hunt was over and done by 7.30am. Most of the remaining day was more like an 'armed' walk in the hopes that a hog would show his face. :roll2:
    I call that "taking the rifle for a walk"