Home Main Category Personal Defense

Road Rage Incident Turns Deadly

bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior MemberPosts: 2,572 Senior Member
I haven't found another thread on this, so here it is. Two cars have an altercation on the road, one guy decides to follow the other to his house (wife says to get the address and report the incident). Both wives call 911 and are on the phone with dispatchers as the incident unfolds.
Guy gets home and gets out, claiming to fear for his wife's safety, and shoots the other driver. Shooter is a licensed carrier.

So many errors in judgement here....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/28/11-calls-reveal-two-sides-deadly-florida-road-rage-shooting/?intcmp=ob_homepage_US&intcmp=obnetwork
Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It appears the shooter was also the instigator of the incident. Why the guy who followed didn't just get a license plate number and call in a complaint is something the Monday morning quarterbacks can discuss forever. "It takes two to tango" comes to mind here.
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,611 Senior Member
    NEVER lead "them" home...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    NEVER lead "them" home...

True- - - -lead the asshat to the local police department! A guy followed one of my friends for 60 miles one day after some imaginary driving offense my buddy committed, and confronted him when he stopped for gas. The guy who did the following and also threw the first punch ended up getting his butt kicked big-time. No guns were involved, but the jerk learned the hard way not to pick a fistfight with a former Army Ranger!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,346 Senior Member
    I can't understand road rage. I've never been subject to that fault, although I have many others. So it's impossible for me to understand the provocation that would persuade anyone would shoot anyone else over traffic disagreements.

Unless the shot guy had a gun he was brandishing, the shooter is probably toast. Regardless of whose yard it was in.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,572 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    I concur. While I will shout obscenities when someone cuts me off, I damn sure ain't gonna follow them or escalate the situation.

Nor would I.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,636 Senior Member
    I concur. While I will shout obscenities when someone cuts me off, I damn sure ain't gonna follow them or escalate the situation.

There are things in this world worth dying for. Traffic is NOTone of them.

However, I have had someone come at me in traffic. One of the few times I have drawn (but not brandished. kept it out of view). Freaky situation
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I no longer should obscenities, and don't know if I ever did. Not much a fan of rhetorical shouing. Likely I have had them hurled at me. Maybe because I'm an old man and had rather spend my declining years obscenity-shouting-free.
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    I no longer should obscenities, and don't know if I ever did. Not much a fan of rhetorical shouing. Likely I have had them hurled at me. Maybe because I'm an old man and had rather spend my declining years obscenity-shouting-free.
    You are a better man than me Gene. I try to master my emotions, but I fail a lot. As CPJ said, I will yell and hurl insults, but I will never escalate a situation.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I am guilty of this. Once I almost took out a motorcycle but he had it coming he damn near went down and that was not my intention. Another time was fighting with a big rig getting on to the freeway. I won but how we both made it through there was a miracle I thought my mirrors were toast for sure. After those incidents I just smile and yield the right of way. It seems to make them madder when they are yelling at you and you just smile back at them. Amazing how anger makes you do some stupid crap.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Part of what helps me is that 99% of my driving is done in a company vehicle. A nice rolling billboard. Easy to spot, easy to call the office and complain about me.

Come on give us the phone number under the How's My Driving sticker, we will put the good word in fer ya :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Fla news said the shooter had been involved is some kinda RR incident up North where a motorcycle got knocked over or something.

Both were very STUPID to not just break it off and the shooter should have never left his yard, there he could have invoked the SYG law if the other guy came on his property threatened him and his wife.

Both wives on the phone to 911 dispatch the whole time. One shot was told to go home, break it off. Shooter said some stupid stuff, well they both did.

Shooter ordered dead mans wife and family outta their vehicle, dip stick ain't a cop. What does he think they were gonna do drive off and leave the dead man there?

Looks bad for all gun owners. From what I know and have seen/read he was wrong and should be put in prison for a very long time.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Once in Austin TX I had just exited I-35 downtown (before the toll road was open that starts up by Georgetown) taking Mrs Chief to the Bergstrom Airport for a direct flight to FLA maybe 2002 or so. Anyway, a light rain was falling and as I exited some idiot pulled out in front of me from a parking lot and I blew my horn cause I had to slam on the brakes and slide a little, which made him very mad.

He wasn't just trying to get on the access road (TX access roads and ramps are not what you think in some places, dual purpose and short ramps at times) but he cut back toward me and a sharp right to get to the on ramp to I-35 which was just past where I exited, both connected to the access road. So bozo drives up a ways on the ramp and stops.

He starts blowing his horn, had his old lady or he rolled down the passenger window and starts leaning over his horrified wife who appears to wish she was someplace else flipping me off vigorously. I could see this because I'm at a stop light trying to make a left turn on a road that goes under I-35.

I think I returned the favor with a Bird but probably shouldn't have. He not only pulled out in front of me, but had to cut back the wrong way a bit to make his turn to the ramp, it is a one-way street.

Well after almost hitting his vehicle because he pulled out in front of me across two lanes backtracking to a turn he shouldn't have tried to make, the butt-hole had the audacity to get mad at me. Not my fault he was exiting a store parking lot that was past his ramp and just didn't line up to get back on I-35. He could have went up a few blocks and got on easy.

It was a Sunday and traffic was light. No cars behind me for a ways, he could of have at least waited until I passed to make his illegal turn.

Yep, folks go Bat-Guano crazy on the road.
    You are a better man than me Gene. I try to master my emotions, but I fail a lot. As CPJ said, I will yell and hurl insults, but I will never escalate a situation.

I doubt I'm a better man; I just don't have a short fuse. But hurling insults IS an escalation. Ignoring the offender de-escalates. Mastering emotions in an traffic situation is good practice for the really emotional situations, like self defense.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I learned to stay out of confrontations, when I started to CCW.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I learned to stay out of confrontations, when I started to CCW.

Good thing to do. I've had a few on the Interstate highways get bent when I wasn't passing cars fast enough; making 85 mph to get around a short line of cars seems reasonable to me, and plenty fast. Get the occasional bird or the driver and/or passenger mouthing off, but no one wants to swap paint with a 3/4 ton 4WD diesel pickup. If they persist I just pick up the cell phone and call the appropriate state patrol and give particulars of car and occupants, and continue to drive and mind my own business. Not like the tick turds in a little beep-peep car are gonna push me off the road!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,635 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    shooter should have never left his yard, there he could have invoked the SYG law if the other guy came on his property threatened him and his wife.

THREAD DRIFT! I think you're confused about Stand Your Ground....SYG says you have a right to defend yourself ANYWHERE YOU HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO BE....it's not confined to your property.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    THREAD DRIFT! I think you're confused about Stand Your Ground....SYG says you have a right to defend yourself ANYWHERE YOU HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO BE....it's not confined to your property.

Yes, I know, but it is hard to invoke when you leave your vehicle and yard and pursue someone. It wasn't like he was in a grocery store parking lot and had a confrontation he couldn't have reasonably avoided where he would be allowed to SYG.

He tried to claim SYG, but he was the aggressor in this situation going to the other vehicle in the street.

Fla has made some changes to the law and gives even more protections to those who invoke it lawfully. This guy was flat butt wrong in his actions.
    Yes, I didn't mean to imply SYG doesn't apply outside your home/yard or vehicle, it does.
    The shooters aggressive actions in this particular incident precludes him from claiming SYG justified him killing the other driver.

His lawyers may try to invoke it as a defense, but not likely to fly in court.

Which reminds me it would behoove us all to read and understand what our state laws (or anywhere we happen to be traveling for that matter) are on SD/HD and especially where SYG type laws are on the books.

There were some changes and proposed changes in FLAs. So far, it has worked out for legal gun owners who use SYG justifiably.

What it is not and never intended to be is a "License To Kill".
    Jayhawker wrote: »

IM(humble)O, both parties had the right to be where they were up until the shooter shot. Then it is a matter for someone else to decide. What I know is you can't shoot anyone in your driveway without provocation.

I think the shooter is toast unless he makes a very serious and legit claim of fear for his life or that of his wife.
    Gene L wrote: »
    IM(humble)O, both parties had the right to be where they were up until the shooter shot. Then it is a matter for someone else to decide. What I know is you can't shoot anyone in your driveway without provocation.

I think the shooter is toast unless he makes a very serious and legit claim of fear for his life or that of his wife.

If someone follows you into your driveway, and makes overtures towards you, things have gone far South, and may get deadly !!!!
    Those actions indicate intent, they don't necessarily have to pull a weapon yet......

However, the best course of action is for the homeowner to lock himself in and call 911 !!!!!
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    Nah, calling the guy that just cut you off a ___________ is therapeutic. As long as he doesn't hear you, no harm no foul.

Like Sgt Snorkel !@#$#%^%^&**())_++)(*&^%%$$#@!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Like Sgt Snorkel !@#$#%^%^&**())_++)(*&^%%$$#@!

That reference will be pretty cryptic to a lot of the younger folks here! :rotflmao:
    I'll let them dope it out with Google! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Is the private still around? I have not gotten a newspaper in years so I don't know.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Beetle Bailey, alive and well in the comics in my paper everyday!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
    Beetle Bailey, alive and well in the comics in my paper everyday!

I get a few comics in my E-mail each day and Beetle Bailey is one of them. Pretty good way to start the morning; a cup of Joe and the days comic strips delivered in the in-box! :up:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    A nice rolling billboard. Easy to spot, easy to call the office and complain about me.

Give your number to me, I will ring them from over here and complain that you were seen driving on the wrong side of the M53.

That will get them thinking. :tooth:
    shush wrote: »
    Give your number to me, I will ring them from over here and complain that you were seen driving on the wrong side of the M53.

That will get them thinking. :tooth:

Yes, that your a nutter ! 😁 😱😨
    :tooth: :jester:
    Road Rage is I think a symptom of uncontrolled anger. And I mean "Rage," not being miffed, or slightly pissed. If that anger is inside you waiting for an excuse to get out, IMO you have a serious anger problem. It will come out in other parts of life.
    Some adrenaline dump, not being able to fight or flight, turbulent emotional responses, anger over possibly getting seriously injured or perhaps killed, maybe it is not so simple.
    Thoughts of one's family, how they might suffer because of a foolish persons actions causing a retaliatory response to the aggressor.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    Yes, that your a nutter !  
    :tooth: :jester:

Goes without saying mate! :p