tomorrow afternoon..........

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,327 Senior Member
Heading out of town to track down and kill Bambi's dad. Dad and I are going to head out tomorrow after work. We'll get to our camping area Friday morning and set up camp. Hunt starts Saturday morning. A guy here at work was telling me he was in the area we'll be not long ago and counted over 60 deer in the area, so I hope that's a good sign.

My goal this year is to ventilate a buck with the 454 Casull. I've got my load work done and it's sighted in. I'm good to go out to 75 yards and hitting about 80% at 100 yards off hand or off my Primos trigger stick bipod. I'll be looking to stay under 100 yards and only take a 100 yard shot from a good, stable shooting position. Load is a 240 grain Hornady XTP Mag on 36.5 grains of W296 clocking nearly 1900fps.

I was able to get dad's Weatherby back from the gunsmith and got a load worked up for it. 180 grain Hornady SST. Can't recall the charge right now, but shooting well with a low end charge of IMR4895. It's sighted in, shooting right around 1 inch groups at 100, sighted about 2" high at 100 and hitting a couple inches low at 200. Good enough for now.

If the plan to take one with the 454 doesn't work out, I'll probably pull out the 243 and see how a 105 Amax works. I've got that one shooting between half inch and one inch groups no problem, if I do my part, which isn't always the case. But it's shooting really well. Sighted about an inch and a half high at 100, dead on at 200. I don't really see taking any shots past 200.

Other guns making the trip that may or may not get to go out are my Win 94 30-30 and Win 94 357 mag. Both have good loads worked up for them are are sighted in and working well out to 100 yards.

We'll see how it goes. We've got 1 fork antlered deer tag each. Looking forward to getting the heck out of here for a week......

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Knock one dead!
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    Best of luck to ya both Jay, and here's to a safe and productive trip. Above all, have fun!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Have a great time and good luck
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    Sure sounds like you're ready to go! General gun season starts in another week and a half for us in the zone that I'll be hunting in this year.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Thanks guys. We've been looking forward to it all summer. I haven't been hunting in 8 or 9 years, aside from dove, quail, rabbits. Elk, deer and turkey; it's been a while. Just gotta get through the day at work, go home, change clothes, jump in the truck and head out. Dad's driving the motor home, I'm driving the truck and trailer with the ATV's and gear. Will report back when we return..........
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Thanks guys. We've been looking forward to it all summer. I haven't been hunting in 8 or 9 years, aside from dove, quail, rabbits. Elk, deer and turkey; it's been a while. Just gotta get through the day at work, go home, change clothes, jump in the truck and head out. Dad's driving the motor home, I'm driving the truck and trailer with the ATV's and gear. Will report back when we return..........

Sounds like a good time, just love camping out and being in the wilderness, you will have a great time, looking forward to the report.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Back to the real world.........The bad news is we weren’t able to tag out. The good news is dad and I had a great time. I took some pics. I’ll have to see if I can get them uploaded and posted.

We saw deer every day we were there. Most days we saw deer 3 or 4 times a day. But they just weren’t bucks. At least for the most part. On the second day of the hunt we walked over a hill and around the corner on a trail and had two 4 point bucks standing at 30 yards from us. I had a tree in my way. Dad had a clear shot. For whatever reason, dad didn’t want to take a shot on one that was quartering toward him and tried to wait for him to turn. They spooked and ran off. Dad’s regretting not shooting now, but hindsight is 20/20. Those were the only two shooters we saw the rest of the trip. We saw a spike the day after that, but he had no fork and was pretty small anyway, so we just watched him at 25 yards. We saw probably 40 doe throughout the hunt and covered a lot of miles walking and on the ATVs. The last two days alone we put over 80 miles on each of the ATVs and walked a few miles on top of that. We saw nobody else in the area take a buck out with them, so we weren’t the only folks not finding them. We also saw a lot of elk and turkey. Had a nice 6x6 bull stop at 160 yards in a clearing, just begging to be shot. Basically, we could have shot everything but a buck, but we only had tags for a buck.........But that’s hunting.

We got to our camp spot on Friday, the 28th and found a couple inches of some white cold stuff on the ground. It was cold (to us, anyway), especially early in the morning taking off on the scooters to get to the area we planned to hunt for the day. Temps in the low 20’s in the morning, 40’s to low 50’s in the afternoon. The afternoon warmth felt good. We were hunting in the area between Sunspot and Sacramento NM. Looks like great elk hunting up there. Might try for that next year.

Dad and I had a great time. We had some good food and a few beers in the evenings. We did all of our cooking outside, with most of it being cooked in cast iron dutch ovens. Some good red chili pork and veggies, a big bowl of beans and a few beers; I’m pretty sure I heard some bullfrogs up in those mountains a few nights while we were there..............