OMG! Razor Dobbs Just killed a huge West Texas Mule Deer with a 10 MM!!!

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 21,958 Senior Member
Wow, that deer's rack had to top 30 inches wide and he had to weigh 300 + pounds and Razor shot it at about 30 yards or more with what looked to be a 1911 in 10 MM. The deer didn't run more than twenty five yards before falling and breathing his last. I'm not a hand gun guy but that would take ANY hunter's breath away for a few seconds anyway.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    10mm is bad juju on deer.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    they make heavy hardcast ammo
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,823 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Wow, that deer's rack had to top 30 inches wide and he had to weigh 300 + pounds and Razor shot it at about 30 yards or more with what looked to be a 1911 in 10 MM. The deer didn't run more than twenty five yards before falling and breathing his last. I'm not a hand gun guy but that would take ANY hunter's breath away for a few seconds anyway.

1-Razor-Dobbs-whitetail-buck-10mm-auto-handgun-1024x796.jpg
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,431 Senior Member
    That's a pretty incredible specimen right there.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,958 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    That's a pretty incredible specimen right there.

That's what I was thinking. If I had to shoot such a deer with a hand gun I'd want it to be at least a 10 mm.

Of course my biggest is a 45 ACP. That should do the job too, if the range isn't too far. And I have said I want to shoot one with my .357 Mag. But I don't think I would purposely go hunting for species as big as this deer with it.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BigDanS wrote: »
    1-Razor-Dobbs-whitetail-buck-10mm-auto-handgun-1024x796.jpg

That's it alright, that's one huge deer. The rack is much wider than the hunter and look at the body! It's huge!
  • NJSOGNJSOG Member Posts: 101 Member
    Razor Dobbins is a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NJSOG wrote: »
    Razor Dobbins is a tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever he is, he's either a very good hunter, or he knows how to pick a good guide. He kills some fine animals.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,944 Senior Member
    That's it alright, that's one huge deer. The rack is much wider than the hunter and look at the body! It's huge!

That is a whitetail. Not a Muley.

Not that it matters. Just say'n.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I've seen exactly two muleys in my life. But on the program they said it was a big muley.

Whatever it is, it's one huge deer.
    I checked it out and that's what they're calling it, a mule deer. It doesn't really look like a white tail to me. But I don't know enough about Muleys.

Anyway, this leads to the write up.

http://areyouwatchingthis.com/tv/programs/EP012920350084-Razor-Dobbs-Alive-10mm-Auto-Mule-Deer/100694407
    Maybe that particular picture doesn't go with the article. But that deer is straight up whitetail to me. Yeah, the G2s fork. But, everything else about the rack, hide, face, coloration, and the freaking WHITE tail scream Whitetail Deer.

I' not arguing with you in particular, Snake. It would seem they jacked this up if that pic goes with the article. But, there is nothing muley about the deer in that pic except split G2s.

Maybe be they are trying to claim a hybrid to make headlines or something. But........the TAIL!!! It's WHITE! Muley don't have that.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,245 Senior Member
    The picture Dan posted hails from at least 2014, so unless it's been that long since he shot it and the show aired..... it's a different deer.

Pic in this article.
    http://huntinglife.com/razor-dobbs-interview/
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,765 Senior Member
    I'm impressed with the shot and the size of the deer, but logic tells me it happened on one of those management ranches where you pay big bucks for a specific semi-tame deer. I would like to think that he stalked the deer in the wild and worked hard for the shot, but I think it is unlikely.
    bisley wrote: »
    I'm impressed with the shot and the size of the deer, but logic tells me it happened on one of those management ranches where you pay big bucks for a specific semi-tame deer. I would like to think that he stalked the deer in the wild and worked hard for the shot, but I think it is unlikely.

Naw man, You're right. I shoulda known better but wasn't thinking. All those shows are videoed in what I call a Zoo.

In answer to Bream, yeah that's the only one he's killed with it and I think it was on the spur of the moment when he saw that deer he just decided to use his 10. I watched the show on Sportsman's Channel and I believe he had a rifle with him. I think he just wanted to see if he could do it. And it says that's the only Muley ever taken with a 10mm or at least the only one he's taken with it. So that's the one I saw. A lot of those shows are 6 months or so old by the time we see them. Oh, and that is the deer he took on the program.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Maybe that particular picture doesn't go with the article. But that deer is straight up whitetail to me. Yeah, the G2s fork. But, everything else about the rack, hide, face, coloration, and the freaking WHITE tail scream Whitetail Deer.

I' not arguing with you in particular, Snake. It would seem they jacked this up if that pic goes with the article. But, there is nothing muley about the deer in that pic except split G2s.

Maybe be they are trying to claim a hybrid to make headlines or something. But........the TAIL!!! It's WHITE! Muley don't have that.

First thing I noted wrong with this story also, BUT that is one hell of a WHITETAIL!
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    That is a whitetail. Not a Muley.

Not that it matters. Just say'n.

I agree that it looks like a white tail but it could be a hybrid white tail mule deer cross, they do happen..........Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,373 Senior Member
    It's a whitetail. A whitetail's antlers have a lower beam with the tines branching off that beam. A mulie's antlers branch off anywhich direction without a central beam.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    It's a whitetail. A whitetail's antlers have a lower beam with the tines branching off that beam. A mulie's antlers branch off anywhich direction without a central beam.

For what it's worth, I went through a couple dozen online pics of mule deer and some have low beams like whitetails. What Hawken said is probably the truth. I remember now when I was a kid hearing it said by game wardens that South and West Texas has some deer that are believed to be a cross between a Muley and a White Tail. It's probably a hybrid like Hawken said, but it's big like a mule deer.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,236 Senior Member
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    I agree that it looks like a white tail but it could be a hybrid white tail mule deer cross, they do happen..........Robin

Wonder what the determining factory is to tell if it is a hybrid? Genetic test I would guess, I would bet a lot of money that is a whitetail.......(even googling pictures of hybrids, they look more like a muley, I don't see any characteristic on this deer that would make me think Muley except the split G2's but I have seen too many whitetails with split tines, I have been wrong before and will be wrong again)
    I ain't buying hybrid. I've seen pics. There is not a single feature that is solely a Muley characteristic.

Great trophy?

Yep.

Muley?

Nope.

http://www.fs.fed.us/rm/pubs_other/rmrs_2012_heffelfinger_j001.pdf
    Maybe the pic is an old one of something other than a muley? Maybe it's not a pic of the deer he shot in the episode? Maybe it's of another deer? BTW, right click the image, select "view image info" if you're in Firefox and the label for the pic says it's a whitetail. So Dobbs ain't trying to pass it off as something else.

Here's a small pic him, his handgun, and possibly a mule deer...

mule-21.jpg
    Overkill is underrated.
    Maybe the pic is an old one of something other than a muley? Maybe it's not a pic of the deer he shot in the episode? Maybe it's of another deer? BTW, right click the image, select "view image info" if you're in Firefox and the label for the pic says it's a whitetail. So Dobbs ain't trying to pass it off as something else.

mule-21.jpg

THAT is a mule deer...fo' ****.

The one up top is a whitetail. Guaranteed.

Either way, both are excellent bucks (how and where he harvested them not factored).
    Yeah. That.....is a muley.
    Yeah. That.....is a muley.

Well as I've said, I'm no expert on Muley vs White Tail. But I think what threw me was size. With this pic of a known Muley I'm also thinking the pic that Dan put up was from something else. From what I've been seeing on different sites here, it doesn't have much in common with that picture of a known muley. But if that is a Whitetail that is one Huge Whitetail.

Gonna start calling you, "Super Sluth".

Yeah, whitetail is imbedded in this pic. I went to save the pic to my computer and it says Razor Dobbs with Whitetail.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    THAT is a mule deer...fo' ****.

The one up top is a whitetail. Guaranteed.

Either way, both are excellent bucks (how and where he harvested them not factored).

The only whitetails I've ever seen that big were in Alberta Canada. They had some monsters.

In this part of Texas we have a chronic shortage of Mule Deer. They're non existent.....
    Hey, if y'all had paid attention to my first post here, I told you the pic probably wasn't the deer he shot in the episode. And I don't watch the show, and don't hunt mule deer.
    Overkill is underrated.
    The only whitetails I've ever seen that big were in Alberta Canada. They had some monsters.

In this part of Texas we have a chronic shortage of Mule Deer. They"re non existent>
    Yes, it's definitely rare to see a whitetail that enormous.

The big telling point for me with mule deer is the pale, white face/muzzle area, though the branched main beams are also a dead giveaway. That whitetail has one branched point that forks, but not the big, distinct diversion where it looks like two distinct main beams with their own points.