Home Main Category Hunting

Check out this varminter in the UK.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,577 Senior Member
https://youtu.be/sEtvJvISoxo

He is an excellent shot and makes ethical kills at very extended ranges. He shoots a .260Rem almost exclusively. All of his videos are outstanding.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,890 Senior Member
    If he used a 6.5-06 he could get some distance with his shots.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    If he used a 6.5-06 he could get some distance with his shots.

A varmint's a bit different than a deer. Linefinder kills prarie dogs at 600-700 yards with a .223 and 6mm. You don't think a 6.5-06 might be better at longer range, and Bigger Game? Explain that to me.

(Blackened Typing is an edit.)
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,563 Senior Member
    I noticed a rather distinct lack of measurable wind. Must be nice! Ha!

Good shooting, indeed.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Good shooting, indeed.

Yea he definitely seems to favor early morning and late evening. Probably to avoid just such a thing.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,890 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    A varmint's a bit different than a deer. Linefinder kills prarie dogs at 600-700 yards with a .223 and 6mm. You don't think a 6.5-06 might be better at longer range, and Bigger Game? Explain that to me.

(Blackened Typing is an edit.)
    I can't explain it to you. You won't listen.

And evidently you can't detect sarcasm.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Good shooting, indeed.

It is good shooting, no doubt.

But the wind thing is true. Distance isn't usually the issue, it's the wind. One of my most memorable pdog hits was at the meager range of 344 yards, which is a chip shot for pdogging. However, it was in a 54 mph wind. Nailed him from the prone position on the first shot. Held approximately six feet upwind of him. Six feet at only 344 yards. With a 75 grain VMax launched at 3700 fps.

Now comes the truth. I wasn't really shooting at him. I was firing a spotter at a small cactus near him. Just to see how the wind would affect my next shot.

Surprised us both.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,577 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    It is good shooting, no doubt.

But the wind thing is true. Distance isn't usually the issue, it's the wind. One of my most memorable pdog hits was at the meager range of 344 yards, which is a chip shot for pdogging. However, it was in a 54 mph wind. Nailed him from the prone position on the first shot. Held approximately six feet upwind of him. Six feet at only 344 yards. With a 75 grain VMax launched at 3700 fps.

Now comes the truth. I wasn't really shooting at him. I was firing a spotter at a small cactus near him. Just to see how the wind would affect my next shot.

Surprised us both.

Mike

Haha. I bet.
    Another case of a pdog having a bad day.....................

Rapier, SixGun, ScooterTrash, a friend of SixGun's, and myself were shooting one dogtown one Saturday morning. The arsenal in play was a .204, a .22-250, a couple .223's, and (believe it or not)......a .308 Win.

The beaten zone extended out to around 450 yards and after a couple hours there wasn't much left alive within that radius so we decided to move a few hundred yards north. But, I'd noticed a few pdogs on a mound at the base of one of the ranchers cornerposts. I finally managed to get a laser reading on the post and it was ~680 yards out, farther than I felt like stretching the .223 that morning. So before we moved I decided to break out the 6mm Rem and give it a poke.

When I settled into the rifle the pdog was down on all fours. Just as the trigger broke I felt the sand in my rear bag shift just a little, causing my sight picture to rise up a few inches. I knew immediately that my shot was going to go high.

There is a noticeable delay between primer ignition and the bullet arriving almost 700 yards downrange. During that delay the old pdog stood upright and took a 6mm slug through the throat for his trouble.

That's the only time in my life I've landed one in the X-ring with a called miss.

Mike
    N454casull
    I can't explain it to you. You won't listen.

And evidently you can't detect sarcasm.

Well I get hit with both sides so I lose sensitivity and sometimes miss the sarcasm, so please forgive me for that.

But you don't have to explain. I understand about the BC and the benefits of high BC bullets at long range. I just don't think a 6.5 with a 140 grain bullet has anything much over a 7mm bullet (Notice I didnt' say .270, I'm referring to the 7-08-7mm Mauser) with a 150 grain bullet. Now we all know you can get 6.5s with 160 grain bullets. To me that's what would set the 6.5 apart from the pack (even though there are also heavier 7 mm bullets). But then, in my opinion, you would be very limited in velocity to push it out there to those long ranges with enough energy to kill larger game dependably with the smaller case size round (This also with the smaller case capacity 7mms). I still don't see any magic in 6.5 diameter bullets other than they've always had long hi BC bullets available more so than most calibers. That's what I'm saying.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Well I get hit with both sides so I lose sensitivity and sometimes miss the sarcasm, so please forgive me for that.

But you don't have to explain. I understand about the BC and the benefits of high BC bullets at long range. I just don't think a 6.5 with a 140 grain bullet has anything much over a 7mm bullet (Notice I didnt' say .270, I'm referring to the 7-08-7mm Mauser) with a 150 grain bullet. Now we all know you can get 6.5s with 160 grain bullets. To me that's what would set the 6.5 apart from the pack (even though there are also heavier 7 mm bullets). But then, in my opinion, you would be very limited in velocity to push it out there to those long ranges with enough energy to kill larger game dependably with the smaller case size round (This also with the smaller case capacity 7mms). I still don't see any magic in 6.5 diameter bullets other than they've always had long hi BC bullets available more so than most calibers. That's what I'm saying.

Now where did I put that epic face palm picture?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Now where did I put that epic face palm picture?

In the words of another member here, "Bite Me"
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    I am impressed.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,527 Senior Member
    A lack of wind or not very much of it can make for some nice groups or first shot hits.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    In the words of another member here, "Bite Me"

Don't be grumpy because you can't carry on a coherent conversation.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Don't be grumpy because you can't carry on a coherent conversation.
    Not grumpy, just don't like your style. You don't even know me but you follow suit and peck at me like a chicken. I don't think you're your own man.
    Mike, try please try to follow along.

YOU brought up deer, ballistic coefficient, and every caliber mentioned in this thread except 6.5-06. That was brought up in jest. That makes at least three subjects that make zero sense in this context. Therefore YOU FAILED!
    Dad 5-31-13
    Mike, try please try to follow along.

YOU brought up deer, ballistic coefficient, and every caliber mentioned in this thread except 6.5-06. That was brought up in jest. That makes at least three subjects that make zero sense in this context. Therefore YOU FAILED!

That's because you're not keeping up. Makes plenty of sense. My argument was that if I was shooting long range at deer and larger game and wanted to use a 6.5 (At very long range like over 500 yards) I would want a 6.5-06. Why, because with bullets heavy enough to reliably kill larger game the smaller cased 6.5s would be running out of gas energy wise at ranges over 500-600 yards. Now, myself, I'm not going to shoot at anything but varmints at that kind of range. So a 260 Remington is plenty for me.
    Knock it off, guys.

Mike
    N454casull