Home Main Category Hunting

Loser!!!

13»

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,212 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Sounds worth the money. Dooooo eeeeeeet!
    Done. I signed up me and the boy before I even posted that.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Well, here is the bullet I intend to use pushed by quite a bit of H110....
    http://www.hornady.com/store/44-Cal-.430-265-gr-FP/
    That, or the 300gr XTP. But the 265gr is designed for .444 Marlin velocities and it just happens that the 430 SJS is supposed to do .444 Marlin velocities so it should be a good fit. It should kick the turds out of a 350 pound bear.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Maybe I haven't been paying attention... what is a .430 SJS?

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDan-- Please reference post #40.
    -Thomas Paine
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Wish I had a rope today could have helped you out.....canned hunt...LOL

Your actually hunting these in the woods ?

3bcdd311-4539-402a-acb8-cc49925ff04c_zpsegxk0jhq.png
    Jermanator wrote: »
    The Michigan DNR is offering a 6 hour bear hunting clinic for $25. It also happens to be at the same time and less than 30 miles away from where I will be on vacation...
    So me and the boy went. It was well worth the $25. They had state bear biologists, conservation officers, and even a taxidermist to go over basically every bit of the hunt-- it included one CO that is a bait guy and another that was a hound guy. They had a ton of great information. My only real complaint is that they took 7 hours (it was scheduled for 6) to cover about 4 hours worth of material. I am also going to suggest that they include a segment on butchering and preserving the kill for next year's clinic.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,114 Senior Member
    Hint, if you have cut up a pig you can cut up a bear. Bear hams and bacon are awesome. Serve with apricot compote, yummy.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Me and you are going to need to talk. I have waited years to get this tag, I want a nice trophy. I also want to share the meat with my friends and family in the best way possible-- and make sure that everyone enjoys it! If I need to run this down to Ohio in mid September to have a pro do the butchering, I am willing to do it.
    -Thomas Paine
    We will talk. It's not hard. If you are shoot it in mid September have plent of ice to chill it down. You will need to get the hide off of it fairly quickly. Drag the bear back to camp and get it hung up then where you can keep it clean skin it. Wrap it up in a thrift store bed sheet and in a blue tarp then pile the ice on it to keep it cool. Cutting it up is fairly simple too go boneless all the way. Again hams and bacons! Trust me. You can roll thin bellies up like panchetta to get a decent sized slice, but on big bears you won't have to worry. Bear country sausage is also quite tasty and different. So basically think of it as a boar hog, and you won't be disappointed.
    Oh we close on our house in Ohio on the 22nd of September. I will be there, but I'm staying at my in laws house. Having a couple ;-) guns in the house there is going to be, well a foreign and new experience for them. A guy with a dead bear in the back of a truck( while completely normal for me and you) would send my mother in law in to a reality induced coma. My father in law would stare in wonderment like "is that thing real" . But awesome people!!!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Another thing bear meat and pork share is Trichinosis, so cook bear well-done!
    Jerry
    BBQ'ed pulled bear shoulder is to die for!
    We can meet (or is it "meat"?) at JB's on the 12th or 13th if you are in town. I can bring my vacuum sealer and cutting boards.
    -Thomas Paine
    We have a working plan. I will have to see what my work schedule is like but for one bear it shouldn't be a problem..
    Oh bear tenderloin cooked over a hunting camp fire of pine wood is one of the best meals you will ever eat. Cook one for yourself offer the other to your guide.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,656 Senior Member
    We can meet (or is it "meat"?) at JB's on the 12th or 13th if you are in town. I can bring my vacuum sealer and cutting boards.

Wow, some positive waves there Moriarty, you haven't even seen a bear yet, get one that has ears that look small:up:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Kip started baiting them 5 days ago. They are hitting them. We still need to figure out which baits are getting hit by which bears and which one I am going to go for.

What I learned in the workshop is that it isn't so much the actual hunt that is the work, it is being reliable about setting the bait. I can't make the 500 mile round trip every day to set bait for a bear, so Kip does it for me. I am sure that I will hear some pissing and moaning about that, but it is how it is done up here. My job is to harvest one when the opportunity presents itself.
    -Thomas Paine
    Make NO apologies. You are paying good money for a service, one that will greatly improve your chances of harvesting a bear. Spot and stalk bear hunts are hard to say the least.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,523 Senior Member
    Kill the Bar!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee wrote: »
    Kill the Bar!
    You will have some prime bar steaks getting overnighted soon after this all goes down. You earned it!
    -Thomas Paine
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    Good luck Jerm!
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    You will have some prime bar steaks getting overnighted soon after this all goes down. You earned it!

So is this to mean no .430SJS blooding?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Teach wrote: »
    Another thing bear meat and pork share is Trichinosis, so cook bear well-done!
    Jerry

Yes dad! We will have bear meat at next year's SE Shoot!
    -Thomas Paine
    So is this to mean no .430SJS blooding?
    Not sure yet. Regardless, Zee did the work. He gets prime steak!
    -Thomas Paine
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member

Absolutely he should get a carney sized steak for his efforts with your .338 Federal. I just want to see something get whacked with the .430.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

If your schedule is open in November, check out BigDan's latest post. He's getting a hog hunt together. That's almost as good as bear. Anyway, it's a chance to check out the scenery in Florida.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.