Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

New study finds gun ownership gets more cops killed

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,902 Senior Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/high-gun-ownership-linked-to-high-rate-of-police-officer-deaths-study-shows/ar-BBlKMmv I read their story but I would like to see the data they pulled it from. I guess police in Chicago and NYC should be really safe. The story basically says the states with the highest gun ownerships have more police deaths. I only know about what goes on around here but the only police deaths I know of were committed by felons, I thought they weren't supposed to have guns.

Replies

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    They try to say, more guns in homes etc, more guns for criminals to steal, hence criminals shoot police officers, hence, no one should have guns.
    All this bloody rot is a pack of lies, however, the goal is that nobody have guns.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Not trying to be facetious, far from it, but it makes sense that states with highly restrictive gun laws would have lower incidence of officers being shot. You can't shoot someone with something you don't have. Except that felons seem to have no problem obtaining firearms.

From the article:
    "Researchers found that states such as Montana, Arkansas, Alabama and Idaho, which have the highest rates of state-registered private gun ownership, also have the highest rates of homicide of law enforcement officers. States including Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey experience some of the lowest rates of both police officers killed and gun ownership."

And the researchers seem to have omitted the recent shootings in the NE of police in their cars execution style. And the nutcase that attacked cops in, I believe, NYC with a hatchet. A nutcase with a will can find a way.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    They try to say, more guns in homes etc, more guns for criminals to steal, hence criminals shoot police officers, hence, no one should have guns.
    All this bloody rot is a pack of lies, however, the goal is that nobody have guns.
    Zero guns would result in zero gun deaths and zero bathtubs would result in zero bathtub deaths. Typical libtard gun grabber "logic".
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Not trying to be facetious, far from it, but it makes sense that states with highly restrictive gun laws would have lower incidence of officers being shot. You can't shoot someone with something you don't have. Except that felons seem to have no problem obtaining firearms.

From the article:
    "Researchers found that states such as Montana, Arkansas, Alabama and Idaho, which have the highest rates of state-registered private gun ownership, also have the highest rates of homicide of law enforcement officers. States including Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey experience some of the lowest rates of both police officers killed and gun ownership."

And the researchers seem to have omitted the recent shootings in the NE of police in their cars execution style. And the nutcase that attacked cops in, I believe, NYC with a hatchet. A nutcase with a will can find a way.
    Since when have Montana, Arkansas, Alabama, and Idaho required "State Registration" of guns? Obvious fiction!
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    How many of the officers were killed by first time offenders? How many were killed by persons with a previous felony conviction? How many of the firearms used were legally owned by the offenders? Not to mention, I was under the impression that 50% of all officer line of duty deaths were in traffic incidents, not the 92% firearm rate the article mentions. Looks like pick and choose statistics to me.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    MSN can be the most left wing some of the time. I would like to see how many Police officers we killed by legally owned guns. More guns legally in a state makes for more gun thefts by the scumbags and then used on the Police. Black on Black shooting are killing the most people and I'll bet those aren't legally owned. Guess this makes that article BS IMHO. :down: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »

Agreed. the objective of all these anti-gun groups is to take away all guns from citizens, and nothing less.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    Since when have Montana, Arkansas, Alabama, and Idaho required "State Registration" of guns? Obvious fiction!

Missed that. Maybe they were thinking of the local and state PDs and the National Guards having registered guns?
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 7,370 Senior Member
    As far as I know in Montana there are NO registered handguns......outside the LEO community.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    "And the researchers seem to have omitted the recent shootings in the NE of police in their cars execution style. And the nutcase that attacked cops in, I believe, NYC with a hatchet. A nutcase with a will can find a way."

Those studies never consider things like that, or when armed non LEOs save a LEO from a nutter.

They want to have your guns taken away, they only present guns in a bad light in order to meet this end,
    Nothing more, nothing less.

There wAs an incident years ago, covered in one of the gun nagazines, a man started hacking, not computers, people, with a Samurai sword, finally, the man was subdued by a retired Police Officer.

Now this incident had occurred on the Staten Island Fairy, so even if people called 911, this man's rampage would have resulted in many more deaths had not there been someone armed able to stop that nutter.

Link to article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/1986/07/08/nyregion/man-with-sword-kills-2-and-wounds-9-on-si-ferry.html
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member

You beat me to it.
    The only registration records of gun ownership in many jurisdictions are the guns purchased / transferred through gun stores, the bound record books and form 4473, hackable computerized records, and those are retained on record for a limited amount of time (years), although FFL holders are encouraged (by BATF) to retain those records for as long as they are in business.
  • TxwheelsTxwheels Member Posts: 151 Member
    To put it simply; The whole article is gun grabber HORSE HOCKEY!
    If I don't answer the phone, I'm probably in the Senate taking a POTUS and wiping my Congress
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Yup. It's takes full advantage of the fact that if it comes from a media source - any media source - the gun-grabbing liberals will march around and repeat it as fact. Like anything, if you say it enough times it becomes the truth, right?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Missed that. Maybe they were thinking of the local and state PDs and the National Guards having registered guns?

...I think this is the same study that Dr. John Lott recently debunked. Since there's no "Gun Registration" they used the number of NFA items registered in each state, not the number of guns. Funny thing about statistics, if you chose the right parameters, you can 'prove' just about anything. One LEO death in Wyoming would be equivalent to 20 in Illinois, one in Montana would equal 20 in New York by population. If you used the number of LEO/ population that would probably close to double. To call this "Study" disingenuous, @ the very least, is an understatement...
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    "Lies, damned lies, and statistics"
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/high-gun-ownership-linked-to-high-rate-of-police-officer-deaths-study-shows/ar-BBlKMmv I read their story but I would like to see the data they pulled it from. I guess police in Chicago and NYC should be really safe. The story basically says the states with the highest gun ownerships have more police deaths. I only know about what goes on around here but the only police deaths I know of were committed by felons, I thought they weren't supposed to have guns.

I saw this. It is total horsecrap.
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Personally, I don't give a flying .

This.
    drsfefa wrote: »
    I saw this. It is total horsecrap.
    cpj wrote: »
    Personally, I don't give a flying .
    horselips wrote: »
    This.

At least horse crap is good fertilizer, their brand of crap has no use.