Walmart Bars Sales Of AR-15s, Self-Defense Shotguns

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/walmart-bars-sales-of-ar-15s-self-defense-shotguns/

Probably because of lawsuits/ political pressure and low sales lately. I don't remember seeing many AR type rifles in Walmarts anyhow.

Plenty other places sell them. Might be some good deals on what they have left.

I'll have to look and see what they have on the shelf around here. A couple don't sell any guns at all and some do.

I wonder if the ever popular Ruger Mini -14s Ranch Rifles are still being sold there. They come with a 5 round mag, but you can buy aftermarket mags and Ruger made Hi-Cap ones.

I remember some talk about them considering this not long ago.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,950 Senior Member
    Wal-Mart Stores Inc, the United States' top seller of guns and ammunition, said on Wednesday it would stop selling the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles because of sluggish demand and focus instead on "hunting and sportsman firearms."
    from http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/26/us-wal-mart-stores-rifles-idUSKCN0QV26520150826
    I'm taking that to mean no Mini's either :uhm:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,495 Senior Member
    Several ARs at our local Wally World. Lots of other semi autos too. For now.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    My local WalMart actually has a reloading department, and it's fairly well-stocked. It's the only one in about a 5-county area that does, however!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,078 Senior Member
    Guns? For sale in Wal Mart? Tell me more of this "Uhmeerikuh" you live in?:bang:

I tend to believe that Wal Mart stopped selling guns in California when a customer asked someone who normally works in Garden, Shoes, or Housewares if they could sell them a gun, and said employee probably scanned the barcode, rang it up, and let it walk with no 4473, DROS, or 10-day wait. Wouldn't surprise me anyway. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,408 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Guns? For sale in Wal Mart? Tell me more of this "Uhmeerikuh" you live in?:bang:

I tend to believe that Wal Mart stopped selling guns in California when a customer asked someone who normally works in Garden, Shoes, or Housewares if they could sell them a gun, and said employee probably scanned the barcode, rang it up, and let it walk with no 4473, DROS, or 10-day wait. Wouldn't surprise me anyway. . .

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/news-good-bad-ugly/93885-wal-mart-pay-14-5-million-cali-gun-law-violations-print.html

June 5, 2004

Wal-Mart will pay more than $14 million to settle charges that it committed thousands of violations of California state gun safety laws between 2000 and 2003, including selling ammunition to minors and selling firearms to convicted felons.
    Well, there you go.

I'm not likely to buy from Wally World, but they did have a decent deal on a Bushy carbine of late. I might take the boy child to pick out a .22 though. The LGS has a bunch on the rack, but $250 for a used 10/22, and $375 for a new one (standard, not target model) ain't my idea of a bargain.
    George Carlin
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Even Bass Pro has them (Ruger 10/22) for $259 and you can get them on sale cheaper all the time.

Check Rural King if there are any in your state.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Even Bass Pro has them (Ruger 10/22) for $259 and you can get them on sale cheaper all the time.

Check Rural King if there are any in your state.

I prefer to get them from the 'little guys'...but not when the little guy is hosing me like that. WW had a new 10/22 for (IIRC) $200 and sale prices take it lower still. Why anybody would pay $250 for a used one is beyond me. I figure the guy puts in a little room for haggling, but there's room enough in that price to float a barge through!:silly:

There are plenty of places here, but no Rural Kings.
    George Carlin
    Well, our Walmart, didn't have any AR type anythings in their spindles on display. One Mini-14 fer way more than I paid for mine.....over $700 bucks. A Marlin model 60 fer $180 I think.

.22 was sold out by 7am they told me. more coming, but the early bird gets the worm. So next time I'm up by 5 am I'll call them and dash out. They said there was a line by 6am. None on tonight's truck, but I call call and they will tell me if any will be on the truck on any given day.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,078 Senior Member
    rberglof wrote: »
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/news-good-bad-ugly/93885-wal-mart-pay-14-5-million-cali-gun-law-violations-print.html

June 5, 2004

Wal-Mart will pay more than $14 million to settle charges that it committed thousands of violations of California state gun safety laws between 2000 and 2003, including selling ammunition to minors and selling firearms to convicted felons.

Well. . .yeah. . .

I spent from '92 to '05 working the CA LGS scene, and it was hard enough to keep track of the regulations and jump through all the right hoops when that was ALL YOU AND YOUR STORE DID. It may not be an active strategy of California's anti gunners, but here's the thing - anyone who can successfully juggle all the balls required to sell a gun in California, and drop none of them, all day, every day, is probably too sharp to be making retail sales wages.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,648 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Well. . .yeah. . .

I spent from '92 to '05 working the CA LGS scene, and it was hard enough to keep track of the regulations and jump through all the right hoops when that was ALL YOU AND YOUR STORE DID. It may not be an active strategy of California's anti gunners, but here's the thing - anyone who can successfully juggle all the balls required to sell a gun in California, and drop none of them, all day, every day, is probably too sharp to be making retail sales wages.

That.

I don't even begin to understand why a retailer like WalMart would even try to be in the gun business at all. The days of running down to Sears and Roebuck to buy a rifle because your GF's dad invited you to go deer hunting with him next weekend have been over with for....oh..........forty years.

Not that they don't have the right to sell firearms, and I certainly don't want to cut down on the number of available venues, but, given Wally Worlds business model......firearms there don't make sense.

For the record........I bought my super-accurate beloved .270 Win A-Bolt at WalMart on a Sunday morning at 7AM while on a scurry for toothpaste. That was almost 20 years ago, and it was damned inconvenient to get back home with a rifle sans toothpaste.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    I remember about the mid 80s a local Walmart in Lawton OK (Fort Sill) when I was looking at guns a manager tried to sell me two S&W Model 25s both fer $500, a .45 ACP and one in .45 Colt and I said nope, I was looking for a .44

I'm not sure if this was the same time they quit selling handguns there or he just wanted to move old stock. Of course, the Sears store, Monkey Wards and Western Auto all had handguns on the shelves too back then.

I had the money to spend too (reenlistment bonus) and Mrs Chief was with me and said go ahead and buy them............little did I foresee the future.
    Oh, I ended up with a S&W model 624 in .44 Spl with 6 1/2" and a Redhawk .44 Mag with 7 1/2" from different stores.
    cpj wrote: »
    Well, had it been toilet paper you were after, the .270 could have filled in nicely. Pretty much all its good for, actually

You mean it's as good at getting it off as it is putting it on? Does he still need the bucket, or is that unnecessary?
    George Carlin
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,698 Senior Member
    The Walmarts in my area might as well stop selling guns and ammo, for all the good it's done me, lately. The shelves are always empty, anyway, except for 7mm Magnum Savages and cheap shotguns.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,408 Senior Member
    My closest Wall Mart had a close out on some ammo, picked up two boxes of 308 Fusion for 13.00 each and and two boxes of (120 count) American Eagle 5.56 for 30.00 each.