Home Main Category Hunting

School me on deer hunting with a shotgun please

CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior MemberPosts: 14,289 Senior Member
Son #2 got drawn for a youth only hunt in a state park and I want him to use a 12 gauge. I have 870's, an 1100, an 11-87, a Benelli Montefeltro, or a Stoeger pump, I am inclined to work with the 11-87 but can be motivated elsewhere. I have a smooth bore barrel with iron sights on an 870, I have no rifled shotgun barrels, I am inclined to put a scope or an optic on it, which ammo(s) should I be trying. My son is currently 5'6" and about 160, somewhat recoil sensitive. We can use stands, might use a blind.

Thanks
I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    So, based on the boy's decryption he must be fairly strong.

If the 11-87 stock fits him use that with standard 2.75 foster slug shells. If it is a buckshot deal, pattern it and use buffered loads.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,365 Senior Member
    If he is recoil sensitive I would lean towards the 1187. Go buy some slug loads and shoot them yourself out of each option. You will notice the difference in recoil between the pumps and the semi's. If you notice the difference, he will definitely...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,143 Senior Member
    Since you're using a smoothbore, you're going to limited to Foster- type slugs (labeled as "rifled" slugs) sabot slugs don't work so well in smoothbores. Get a couple different brands and see which ones shoot best in your shotgun. Having had several slug guns over the years - each had it's own preference 0ne liked Remingtons, the other Federals, etc... I'd also advise Dad to do most of the test shooting if the young un is recoil sensitive.

Installing a low powered scope can't hurt....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,038 Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Jayhawker;485446- each had it's own preference 0ne liked Remingtons, the other Federals, etc... Installing a low powered scope can't hurt....[/QUOTE]

:agree: :that:

I have very limited experience hunting deer with a shotgun , however I have found Jayhawker's post to be correct.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Is this hunt in a shotgun only area? If not why limit him to a shot gun?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    What Jayhawker said, but use the 870 with iron sights. I am assuming the rest just have shotgun beads. The sights are a big improvement. He should be good to 75 yards, 100 if you push it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That too, if you can do 6" @50 yards with it and limit your distance to whatever you can do 6" with.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,398 Senior Member
    Low recoil Federal Powr Ball slug in the iron sighted 870 barrel. Fine for 75Y or so.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,289 Senior Member
    Thanks guys, I posted in a hurry in between patients today, what I should have added is that I am willing to add rifled barrels and scopes or optics to the shotguns I listed, we are limited to shotgun, muzzle loader, or bow. I forgot to add I have a Beretta 390 20ga. and an 870 20ga. I could get up to speed, any huge difference to the deer if I use 20ga. vs. 12 ga? I talked to a guy today and he said most shots in the park will be under 100 yds.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    A 20 gauge slug is still a big chunk O lead. Placed properly, you'll make jerky.

Quite a few folks around here use the 20 ga. just because they don't like the recoil of a 12 ga. , I am just curious what folks on here have dabbled with, there are some 150 yd. 12 ga. out there.
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Quite a few folks around here use the 20 ga. just because they don't like the recoil of a 12 ga. , I am just curious what folks on here have dabbled with, there are some 150 yd. 12 ga. out there.

I'd get a rifled barrel for the 20 ga. and put a 4x fixed scople on it. 4x Scopes have a wide field of view at 100 yards and they pass a bit more light than a higher mag. variable. With this he will have less recoil and he won't give up anything to a rifle. Use sabot slugs.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

I put a 20" rifled barrel on an 870 Express, with a Burris FastFire II red dot sight. It shot 2-3/4" sabot slugs at an average of 2"-3" groups at 100 yards, and kicked about like my .30-06 with max loaded 165 gr. bullets - maybe a little more, actually. The barrel was about $200, I think - maybe a little bit less. My .243 and 7mm-08 both kicked considerably less, so I reconfigured it back to an 18" HD shotgun.
    Yep, this is the ticket, but your enabling-fu is weak, I have too many other platforms to accessorize.
    bisley wrote: »
    I put a 20" rifled barrel on an 870 Express, with a Burris FastFire II red dot sight. It shot 2-3/4" sabot slugs at an average of 2"-3" groups at 100 yards, and kicked about like my .30-06 with max loaded 165 gr. bullets - maybe a little more, actually. The barrel was about $200, I think - maybe a little bit less. My .243 and 7mm-08 both kicked considerably less, so I reconfigured it back to an 18" HD shotgun.

I think I am going to go down this road, I have some dot sights that I can pull off the AR's, lots of 870 accessories out there.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I'd get a rifled barrel for the 20 ga. and put a 4x fixed scople on it. 4x Scopes have a wide field of view at 100 yards and they pass a bit more light than a higher mag. variable. With this he will have less recoil and he won't give up anything to a rifle. Use sabot slugs.

See my reply to Bisley, thanks!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    20 ga slug will do in a deer right well
    if you go that way, do pattern foster slugs, they can be as accurate as fancy sabots or not.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That will work well, stay off the scopes unless they have a lot of eye relief. Been kissed by a few shotguns while shooting slugs. A red dot is deal for them.

This is something I hadn't thought about. I agree and if you do put a scope on it, I would put out a little more money and get one with at least 4 inches eye relief.

I hate Scope Kisses!!!
    Oh, I wasn't enabling. Just giving info on 20 gauge slugs.
    You should ALWAYS enable on here;)
    NN wrote: »
    20 ga slug will do in a deer right well
    if you go that way, do pattern foster slugs, they can be as accurate as fancy sabots or not.

I will try quit a bit of ammo, it is readily available sine I live in a shotgun zone.
    That will work well, stay off the scopes unless they have a lot of eye relief. Been kissed by a few shotguns while shooting slugs. A red dot is deal for them.

Just curious, why did you pick the 12 ga? The 20 will work just as well and with a lot less recoil and shotgun slugs are not exactly instant deer slayers (more on that below) so I personally would favor a semi-auto because of fast follow up shots. Not trying to change your mind or anything, always looking to understand folks choices. Is it easy availability of parts?

BTW my experience with slugs has been that slow and heavy does not normally equal the fast pile-up-right-there that a standard rifle projectile causes. They WILL die but I've had to follow blood trails on plenty of well hit deer. One thing you will get is a great blood trail though.

I want to mess with a 12 ga. primarily to set it up as a HD shotgun that will like slugs, I have some accessories in the pile that have not been put on an 870 yet, I figure there is not much difference in the deer vs. HD setup.
    snake284 wrote: »

This is something I hadn't thought about. I agree and if you do put a scope on it, I would put out a little more money and get one with at least 4 inches eye relief.

I hate Scope Kisses!!!

The kids have seen scope eye, they are thinking when on the bench.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    4 deer with shotgun in 9 seconds....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXs3f_XCMLI

I shot two at a time, and that was at pretty long range with a Rem. Model 700 BDL 6mm remington. At over 300 yards I had time to rack another round in and get down on a second one before they ran into the brush. I shot at another one but missed. By that time they were running. But this guy in the video is good.
    Oh. I should have told you about the Savage slug gun on clearance at the local Walmart for $250?

Bolt action?