Home Main Category Clubhouse

Solve this networking problem for me

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,798 Senior Member
I bought a Netgear N300 WiFi extender because my preferred laptop location is out of range for our ATT wireless modem that my wife and I use for Internet connection and home phone service. I had a little trouble setting it up, but got it to work finally. It works great, BUT, for some reason I get a Windows Security login screen when I try to go to Fox News. Any other site works fine. It prompts me for a username and password that I don't have a clue what it is. It isn't my computer login info, nor is it my SSID number to log on to the wireless modem/router. This is windows 7 laptop. My wife's computer still connects directly, without going through the range extender, and hers works fine.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Are your settings needing permissions, or turned off? Virus? I remember similar issues with computers in years past, but can't remember what I did or downloaded to fix them.

Does your old Wireless allow your laptop to work OK, but not your new one? If nothing else has changed, then it is with the new Wireless. Call Netgear customer service.

Try and use your wife's connection for a minute with your laptop and see if the same pops up on your screen.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,934 Senior Member
    On my wireless router, there is a pin number and password on the bottom. Maybe that's what it wants.

Or, maybe the fox news site is not recognizing you as a legit user and taking extra security measures.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Hey once in Afghanistan I had a little Netbook (private computer for personal use after work) years ago in my room and it did something similar when I tried to go to Fox News. So the Network folks had to do something to allow it to work OK with the free Internet they provided to us. Dang, I can't remember what they said they did.

CNN worked fine....................

Giggle your problem.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • FlashoverFlashover Member Posts: 390 Member
    if your using internet explorer:

Tools / Internet Options
    Select the Security tab
    Select 'Custom Level'
    Scroll down to the bottom and look at the Logon section. Make sure you have 'Automatic logon with current user name and password' selected.

About the only thing I can think of.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    CNN worked fine....................

Obviously, a Liberal plot!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    Obviously, a Liberal plot!

I think so, why it is a NSA Conspiracy :conehead: :conehead: