Home Main Category Clubhouse

Man sized saw

prozium451prozium451 MemberPosts: 130 Member
This saw came through work today. Special order only. ce44423ea734f6d26d13127f5807ffbd.jpg
cpj wrote: »
Besides when she starts complaining, you just tell her to shut up and bake you a pie! Thats what I do.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    That is a big one
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Anybody else seen the video on Yahoo of the Australian chainsaw about that length powered by a Holden V8? Downright scary!
    Jerry
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Hey wait a sec........that looks like Zee, it's only a 24 in bar!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    ****. That would take a hoss to run.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    A big White Oak tree fell down at the range, and took out the gate. It would need a saw that big to cut through it in one cut. I don't know what the tree removal guys used, but it cost $1500 to get it moved and took a front-end loader. Looked like a two-cut from the stump. And that was only half a tree that branched off; half of it remains. Lots of firewood there to be taken. But you'd need a big saw to cut it off in lengths to split it.

Back when I was a youngster, at the sawmill where I briefly worked they used a straight-eight Buick engine to turn the blade. It lasted a long time.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Anybody else seen the video on Yahoo of the Australian chainsaw about that length powered by a Holden V8? Downright scary!
    Jerry

They stole the idea from a Kiwi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WO9nulOXc
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Burning White Oak in the cook stove or the heaters is OK, Gene, but best not to put it in the fireplace. Darn stuff will pop and throw live coals all the way across the room. There's some stuff in the wood cells called "Tyloses" that causes it to do this. The tyloses also closes up the wood cells to movement of liquids, and that's why White Oak is used for whiskey barrels.

Wonder if that long bladed Stihl is part of an "Alaska Mill" used to rive out boards from large diameter logs. Damn good saws, Stihls!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,401 Senior Member
    Did you take it for a test drive?
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Wonder if that long bladed Stihl is part of an "Alaska Mill" used to rive out boards from large diameter logs. Damn good saws, Stihls!
    Nope, that is a pure felling saw. The engine would have to be three times that big to cut anything half as big as that bar with the grain.
    Probably bought by a tree service. One of those tools that you need five times a year, but when you need one, it pays off in time saved having it in the shop. I have seen a couple huskys that size used for that.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I've got a job for that saw...we need to thin out some oak and maple out of our woodlot....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • prozium451prozium451 Member Posts: 130 Member
    Nope, that is a pure felling saw. The engine would have to be three times that big to cut anything half as big as that bar with the grain.
    Probably bought by a tree service. One of those tools that you need five times a year, but when you need one, it pays off in time saved having it in the shop. I have seen a couple huskys that size used for that.
    Correct. Felling and linking only. I'll tell ya, linking is where you get your rest with a saw that big.

No test drives. One does not pay 2k+ for a used saw :p

This was bought by an individual. Not sure if it's for commercial use.
    Besides when she starts complaining, you just tell her to shut up and bake you a pie! Thats what I do.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I've got a job for that saw...we need to thin out some oak and maple out of our woodlot....
    I'll bring one that will work. It will not be nearly this impressive though.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Dang, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre would have been a lot worse with that puppy! :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Dang, how long is that bar? :yikes:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Hey wait a sec........that looks like Zee, it's only a 24 in bar!
    Now that you mention it, it is ZEE
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Dang, how long is that bar? :yikes:
    47". That's the small bar.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Make sure you keep some of the wood for the smoker.........
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's almost a sin to bring down anything that would require that size saw. Back at the ranch we had a few old oaks that the forester that I hired to get some timber out said were probably over 300 years old. Man I loved those trees...

The ones that big that need felled are usually a hazard or in the way of a ROW or such. I have what is called a Penns tree in my woodlot. It is a white oak that was here when William Penn was here.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I've got a couple that are standing dead...a future hazard and are therefore destined for the woodpile. There are also a couple trees that have developed a distinct bow in the main trunk. Just doing some selective cutting. Also nothing that NEEDS a saw of that size...but it sure would be fun to run...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    prozium451 wrote: »
    47". That's the small bar.

Wow.
    I thought I was tough with a 36" on my Husky.