Home Main Category Clubhouse

I am going to Toot my Horn today......

2»

Replies

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    Congrats!

How much dynamite did you use? :tooth:

Kidding aside, that's certainly a great accomplishment.

At times I wish I had some!!!
    cpj wrote: »
    I've got nothing against keeping fish, except bass. Bass are nasty. Bleh.

Good job on your catching. :up:

I wish ALL had that attitude against bass....thanks brother!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Was he fishin' with electricity?

I mean you said he didn't bait his hook.......:tooth:

He fished a lot with bait too, but I remember being told he sometimes (later years?) just went fishin without bait to contemplate. Fort Myers had a population of under 400 around the late 1800s and the turn of the 20th century, must of been a real paradise for fishin and huntin all around there and most of FLA.

I dunno, old man said when he was a little he saw Edison and Henry Ford together when he came to visit Fort Myers waving at folks from a car, I didn't ask, but most likely a Ford car :tooth: He (Ford) had a cottage there near or on the Edison estate.

Once in the late 70s or early 80s when I took that tour an old white haired man giving a tour in the lab part said he was one of Edison's assistants and he went on to throw a big circuit breaker and a huge light bulb of Edison's still illuminated all them years later.

I know they had huge books on display there and said Edison could look at a page and then another briefly and memorize everything in a book like that and they told his parents he would never finish grade school.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    What a small world, my Dad grew up in New Franklin which is a little town right across the river from Boonville. Their family had a grocery store in that little town from the early 1900's through the depression. I used to go down to that area quite often years ago. The old grocery store is still standing on the corner of main street. It was a pretty small tight knit area around there, they may haven know each others family. It was the Alsop family grocery store in New Franklin. Talk about some great memories.....

That's very possible TWA, I used to ride to New Franklin with my FIL all the time. We use to go to a meat market there.
    Do you remember Snotty's store on the river? It was on the Boonville side. My father in law knew a bunch of people there in New Franklin.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    That's very possible TWA, I used to ride to New Franklin with my FIL all the time. We use to go to a meat market there.
    Do you remember Snotty's store on the river? It was on the Boonville side. My father in law knew a bunch of people there in New Franklin.

I loved that Ole General Store (remember the original one before the flood?)....even when they rebuilt to higher ground it was awesome, they don't have them like that anymore!! Is your fil still alive? Or how old would he have been now? My Dad would have been 95. Like I said, tight knit communites down there, I am betting the families at least knew of each other. (3 brothers) I had many a deer processed in that meat market in New Franklin btw, they used to make some killer sausage and jerky.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Congratulations on achieving the goal of the 'Perfect Season'. While the handshakes and pats on the back don't sound like much, recognition by your peers creates an awesome feeling that only gets better with time. The biggest part of your achievement is that you and your partner are the first to accomplish this. That memory alone is priceless. Others may do the same in the future, but being the first will never change.

I just got back from running a charter. Weather was crap.........cold, 25knot winds, driving rain..............managed to get a line over the side however and caught a few respectable fish to bring home. Had a 'play' with an 8' Tiger shark............. got him up alongside so the punters could see him..........then he developed an attitude problem and tried to eat the boat.........cut him free and rebaited. Hooked him again 10 mins later and it was deja vue.
    When I cut him free the second time I could see my first hook in the side of his mouth. Couldn't believe my eyes when I dragged him up the third time. He finally got the hint and didn't come back again...............he is probably looking at himself in a mirror and admiring his new lip piercings.
    Best part of the day was surfing the 55' boat in through the bar on 7m swells doing 35knots!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....