Spitez or hollows. I needs to know.

2»

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,781 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If you're gonna talk smack, get it right.
    It was 12 gauge slugs. And a 243. And a Glock.
    Kid used one 45-70 round.
    So there. :tooth:

I knew you would confess if I made enough errors. :jester:
    I confessed details. Never mentioned the offender.

Details that only the perpetrator would know.
    Objection, your honor. The prosecution is grasping at straws. Anyone with access to the internet pre forum crash would have details to the alleged event.

Don't make me get Trey Gowdy to subpoena the G&A server and have the FBI recover your original confession. There's no telling what else will turn up, with your history. Better to cut your losses and 'fess up. Then it will all be forgotten in 30 seconds.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,379 Senior Member
    At this point, what difference does it make?
    Overkill is underrated.
    He's stonewalling, now. Typical.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,959 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I just do it to aggravate people who shoot little bitty deer a dozen times with a .45-70, /QUOTE]

Me too. Once with a .270 should do it.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,662 Senior Member
    But you still have to hit them.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,690 Senior Member
    I like 100 grain Nosler Partitions over max loads of H1000 at around 3000 fps. I have killed 36 deer and a couple of hogs with this load and I have never recovered a bullet, all were complete pass throughs. The .243 kills much better than it should and makes an impressive exit wound..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    The .243 kills much better than it should and makes an impressive exit wound..........robin

In my experience, any 6mm chambering performs way beyond its paper ballistics in the categories of accuracy, velocity, and "killing power". I consider a 6mm (alias .243) stoked with the proper bullet for the task at hand, launched at the proper velocity, to be pretty much all you'd need for anything you'll likely encounter in the US. I exclude dangerous game (who the hell's gonna shoot a grizz with anything less than a .300 Win Mag, or .338 of some ilk), and possibly an elk if the shot presentation was from its southern quarters while it was angling hard north.

And if Swift ever makes a 6mm A-Frame, I'd not worry much about the latter, and (given a little distance), not much about the former, either.

Mike
    N454casull
    But you still have to hit them.

That's never really been a problem

Oh................you weren't speaking to me, were you........:tooth:

Mike
    N454casull
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,609 Senior Member
    Buzzards and worms got to eat same as people.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    Buzzards and worms got to eat same as people.

And bears. Don't forget bears.

Mike
    N454casull
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,036 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    And bears. Don't forget bears.

Mike

Yeah, but that's what God made "Bunny Huggers" for, to feed the Bears........:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wildgenewildgene Senior Member Posts: 1,036 Senior Member
    The .243 thread here, and Jason's hijacked Mossberg Patriot thread got me hot and bothered about loading for my .243. I am interested in the 85 gr game kings. These come in the spitzer, or hollow point. What say you? Is there any difference in terminal performance? I am thinking deer and smaller with this.

...I've killed antelope & mule deer w/ the .25 120gr., mule deer & elk w/ the 160gr. 7mm & 165gr. .30 cal HPBT, BUT according to Sierra the 85gr. HPBT GameKings aren't designed like the heavier ones w/ a thicker jacket. Sierra describes it as a "thin skinned long range varmint bullet". Fur killin' deer, I'd stick w/ the SBT, if you're real interested in 'terminal performance', I've shot a few mule deer w/ the 100gr. Speer GrandSlams out of my .243 WSSM, terminal ballistics were "text book"...
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Thanks Gene.
    It's because I hate Trump.
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    The .243 thread here, and Jason's hijacked Mossberg Patriot thread got me hot and bothered about loading for my .243. I am interested in the 85 gr game kings. These come in the spitzer, or hollow point. What say you? Is there any difference in terminal performance? I am thinking deer and smaller with this.

Go with the 100 grainer for deer.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,036 Senior Member
    N320AW wrote: »
    Go with the 100 grainer for deer.

I would tend to go with the 100 grain, but it would depend on the deer too. If it was one of these Texas pint size does, the 85 grain would be plenty. But if you run it to a tough old buck you might be asking a lot of that thin skinned light bullet. I've heard some old guys (yeah older n me) blow about killing deer with their 250 Savage with a 60 grain at 3100 FPS. But would I do it? Not hardly. Yeah it might happen more times than not, but it's those NOTs that worry me. But with an 85 grain bullet these days, it is probably enough. Back in the day bullets just weren't on a level with what they are now. Now days they're much better constructed. Back when I first got my 6mm I DID kill a couple deer with an 80 grain Core Lokt. But when I started reloading for it, I started using 100 Grain Sierras and never looked back. this is actually a moot point for me because later when I started reloading for it, I pretty well stuck with 100 grain Game Kings, except for the one time I bought some Speer flat base because the guy ordered me the wrong bullets. I had a bad experience with those bullets and made it a point to make sure I had Sierras. Now Since I have this .243 I am usually armed with 100 Grain Game Kings. I do have a box or two of Winchester 100 grain Power Points I bought to sight it in and for the brass to reload.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.