FR Revolver to 500 Yards!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Not even close................to Big Chief ready to write :tooth:

[IMG][/img]BigChiefTablet_zpsaj4fjbhg.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,607 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    So......1mph wind equals 13 feet of drift.
    It better be calm.

Essentially.

Long range shooting is ALL about conditions. Any trained monkey can dial in the required elevation and then hold a fairly consistent waterline. The wind is a different animal and that's the big differentiator in competition (or any other use of long range rifle fire.)

People talk about stroking the trigger, stopping their heartbeat, quitting breathing and all sorts of other arcane things, but discerning and compensating for conditions is what it's all about. This is one area the vast majority of movies and books featuring LR shooting get very wrong.

I have seen conditions blow veteran competitors right off the 6 foot wide target at 1000 yards, and that's with fancy match rifles and near unity BC boutique bullets.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    It is some luck, too, if ya don't fire and then correct your dope because the wind changes often during the way to the tgt.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,661 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    What I was being............

794AE1D8-9D47-41E6-AD16-D879DD963876_zpsczrck6eh.png

So you were being facetious about those remarks about the Beretta Brigadier. Keen.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,617 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    So you were being facetious about those remarks about the Beretta Brigadier. Keen.

No. Those were true and I meant them in all heartfelt sincerity.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    cpj wrote: »
    You're such a snob. You're acting like a bullet that goes transonic well before it crosses the finish line at 4-500 feet per second isn't up to the task.

You're right. I'm a supersonic snob. There, I said it.
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    All of this info makes what has been done to 500 yards with a lowly 357 all that much more impressive.

🔫💥💥💥
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Hoggin wrote: »
    All of this info makes what has been done to 500 yards with a lowly 357 all that much more impressive.

��������

Careful now we don't want you to hurt your arm patting yourself on the back. :wink::tooth:
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I patting Ernie. I only went to 397 on pdogs

I patting Ernie.

Spank-It-2-550x356_zpszrxjusww.jpg

Did you tell him "Good Game"?
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    About all I can say is, Wow!
    Who has been talking?????????????????
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,220 Senior Member
    This is an interesting thread. Challenges are fun and educational. If Heavy fails, so what? The world won't end. If he succeeds, that would be kind of cool and one heck of a personal achievement for him. Either way, I am interested to see how far he can (safely) push the limits of his revolver. We will all learn something and that is what this forum is all about. There is nothing wrong with getting out of your safe cuddly comfort zone and engaging the world-- I actually encourage it. It helps one grow as a human being. If you are successful right off the bat, it is doubtful that you ever left your comfort zone and need to be more ambitious.

Too bad this is about crushing dwarf cockroaches or whatever (basically yet another measuring contest). It could be interesting.

And this concludes my philosophical sermon of the day.
    I did not see a single post that told him not to do it. All we want is a video and proof.

I explained what the parameters are when shooting that setup at 1000 yards. I shoot a great deal at that distance and all my shoots are recorded. There are no gimmies, callbacks or mulligans; all shots are counted. So I know a little bit about what it takes and what the results are. I see others shoot in the same conditions and I see the scores. I'm also fairly well versed in ballistics and can figure out stuff.

To me, saying that you shoot subMOA or 1MOA at any distance means you do that all the time, on demand, under all normal conditions. Throw enough lead downrange and you will get a refrigerator target. Just don't forget all the other targets before and after it.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,349 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I used to throw baseballs at 1000 yards. Could easily get 5 out of 5 pitches in the strike zone. I decided it was too easy and now only use rocks. It's a bit more challenging, but I can usually get 3 of 5 in the strike zone.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    I'll open my range up for this "attempt". I also have several camera. Well start closer but we can get over 1k

You are closer than Peacemaker so you are on. I am waiting to hear from Pac Nor so I can have the cool barrel sticking out look. The 10" Douglas seems to be doing pretty well and I might just have to go with it to save time. I have always had great results with the loadmaster loads. I will see in the next week or two what it will do with carefully worked up loads. Your location should be calmer than Peacemaker as well. So far this is shaping up to be far easier than I thought.
    I suppose I have you to thank for getting me excited about revolvers again. I pretty much put this aside about 25 years ago. Once I had it setup all there was to do was run it. After a few years I moved on to IPSC and IDPA pulling this out when nobody else was running a revolver or to win a bet. When I first saw your work I was immediately inspired to maybe convert a Ruger 357 to a Dan Wesson ish setup. You're right about the brake it's mostly that I am kind of rushing at this point and don't want to risk another variable. I will probably be adding one later. I am nowhere near your league when it comes to machine work. Every few years I find something that needs turned and threaded and I am just setting up a small mill. I see you teach as well. At this point I find teaching more satisfying than most anything else. I might get to create my own eclipse.
    I'll really be cramming this in now that I'm starting as the lead welding inspector for a new power plant under construction. So I should be seeing you in a few weeks. I look forward to it.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
    HvyMax wrote: »
    You are closer than Peacemaker so you are on. I am waiting to hear from Pac Nor so I can have the cool barrel sticking out look. The 10" Douglas seems to be doing pretty well and I might just have to go with it to save time. I have always had great results with the loadmaster loads. I will see in the next week or two what it will do with carefully worked up loads. Your location should be calmer than Peacemaker as well. So far this is shaping up to be far easier than I thought.
    I suppose I have you to thank for getting me excited about revolvers again. I pretty much put this aside about 25 years ago. Once I had it setup all there was to do was run it. After a few years I moved on to IPSC and IDPA pulling this out when nobody else was running a revolver or to win a bet. When I first saw your work I was immediately inspired to maybe convert a Ruger 357 to a Dan Wesson ish setup. You're right about the brake it's mostly that I am kind of rushing at this point and don't want to risk another variable. I will probably be adding one later. I am nowhere near your league when it comes to machine work. Every few years I find something that needs turned and threaded and I am just setting up a small mill. I see you teach as well. At this point I find teaching more satisfying than most anything else. I might get to create my own eclipse.
    I'll really be cramming this in now that I'm starting as the lead welding inspector for a new power plant under construction. So I should be seeing you in a few weeks. I look forward to it.

We shall start at the 300 yard place I have to shoot.....we will see if you shoot sub MOA there (as you stated that's your goal) then I will get the 1000 yard range set up. If you can't hold sub MOA to 300 then there is no point going farther.
    At the 450 yard line wind calls become ridiculous with a strait wall handgun. I suspect we won't even have to go that far.
    I have only done this a couple times......maybe I dunno....
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z0KHi80vCus
    :fan:

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    Having a place to Shoot, someone to film and help is half the battle.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,422 Senior Member
    Be sure to have a big dump truck handy to haul away the load of BS that's going to get flung when he can't make the cut at 300. You'll get enough to fertilize a good-sized garden!
    :blah:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    I have a shovel in the truck

Today's shoot started off bad....killed a Leupold 4x....went back and switched out glass and re zeroed. Made it out to 250 yards with the 44 magnum franken ruger. Shooting off bog gear.
    Today's weather. 95 degrees. 100% humidity. Switching winds. Calm at the target. 10+ mid flight and at the shooter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JCkv5u2Wx0

woodstrailandfield_zpslzxfstzq.jpg

Really like the carry revolver.
    7a9b249d-5bed-46ad-af48-de83c0c145a5_zps0eusck2n.jpg

Well about a month ago someone said they would come see me soon with some long range 44 shooting 4000000fps......I haven't heard anything...or seen anything.

:fan::fan:

• coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,458 Senior Member
    He's been busy. Welds to inspect, you know!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    Well about a month ago someone said they would come see me soon with some long range 44 shooting 4000000fps......I haven't heard anything...or seen anything.

:fan::fan:

Been very busy inspecting welds. Been 6 10's and an 8. Got about 500 cases prepped and my delivery from Pac Nor. Still need a little lathe time to finish the shroud and brake for the Pac Nor. The B Square mount seems to have the adjustability I need. I will start with the Douglas 10" that's served me so well while I finish working on the other setup. Still doing a little more research. I think I can push 45-70ish ballistics through this so going the distance shouldn't be the problem. Once I have the load all that's left is to dial everything in. I have run this scope in several unknown distance matches out to 1200 on my 30-06 so hopefully it won't let me down here either.
    Zee wrote: »
    Really like the carry revolver.

That is the cutest little thing.
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Been very busy inspecting welds. Been 6 10's and an 8. Got about 500 cases prepped and my delivery from Pac Nor. Still need a little lathe time to finish the shroud and brake for the Pac Nor. The B Square mount seems to have the adjustability I need. I will start with the Douglas 10" that's served me so well while I finish working on the other setup. Still doing a little more research. I think I can push 45-70ish ballistics through this so going the distance shouldn't be the problem. Once I have the load all that's left is to dial everything in. I have run this scope in several unknown distance matches out to 1200 on my 30-06 so hopefully it won't let me down here either.

....that optic......:win:

....that optic......:win:

It's definitely enough glass for the distance! I might even have to back off on the mount a bit as well. You think 10-40x might not be enough? After the experiment it will go back to its Leopold or something.
    Will it have enough elevation....I doubt it

Will it withstand 44 mag recoil....I bet money it won't...

Will it track....no

Will it have enough eye relief....it's going to hurt. :buff: