Home Main Category Clubhouse

Need help with a recipe

Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior MemberPosts: 6,083 Senior Member
I am getting a fresh batch of New Mexico green chile's next weekend and I want to use up the ones I have left with pork. Specifically smoked pork shoulder. I have been going round and round with the internet trying to find a recipe.

All the recipes I can find are for Chile Verde and versions of it or making a sauce and pooring it over roasted pork.

I want to cook the chiles with the pork, on the smoker. Does anyone have a recipe like that?

I am not afraid to go off the reservation I was just hoping to find someone who has done something similar.
I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
Dad 5-31-13

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Not a shoulder, and not smoked, but I just sampled a Boston Butt that Mrs. Bisley and I are cooking for Sunday dinner, for kids and grandkids, and it is as good as anything I have ever smoked. She made a paste of lots of garlic, paprika, olive oil, etc.. I made cuts about 5" deep, 'wallered' them out with my finger, and poked the mixture all the way down in the holes (lots of garlic chunks - you could do the same with your peppers). Then I rubbed it heavily with a bown sugar, garlic, paprika, oregano dry mix and wrapped it in foil, fat side up. She cooked it 2 hours at 375, then unwrapped it. I checked it an hour later and sampled it. It had a nice brown crust and had reached a temperature of 165. I sampled it and it is great, so I wrapped it back up and turned the oven off. I'll let it rest for about an hour, then slice it, make gravy from the drippings, and serve it with baked sweet and white potatoes, along with home made cole slaw (lots of dill) and baked beans. Home made cream pies for dessert, with flaky home made crust made with a little lard and a lot of butter.

This was a pretty easy feast, and fit for Christmas Day.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    That is basically what I was thinking, just stuff the chiles inside and rock out with my... N/M
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    rock out with my... N/M

Dudebro......messing around with chilies......that's going to BURN!!!
    Eli wrote: »
    Dudebro......messing around with chilies......that's going to BURN!!!

Chiles and an open fire. You can call me red.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I do an injection of garlic, canning salt, ground red pepper and a 50/50 mix of cider vinegar and water, liquefied in a blender, when I do smoked Boston butt for the SE Shoot. There aren't many leftovers. You could do the same thing with your green chiles, just be sure to run the blender long enough to get a smooth, injectable slurry and use a large-bore needle on the injection syringe.
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Don't overdo them peppers or you will be farting fire :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Don't overdo them peppers or you will be farting fire :tooth:

If it doesn't burn twice it wasn't hot enough.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If it doesn't burn twice it wasn't hot enough.

You really ARE an Oakie ain't you? :tooth::roll2::roll2::roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 856 Senior Member
    As Johnny Cash sang: and it burns burns burns, that ring of fire...........
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    You really ARE an Oakie ain't you? :tooth::roll2::roll2::roll2:

Sooner born and bred, when I die I'll be sooner dead.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    avmech wrote: »
    As Johnny Cash sang: and it burns burns burns, that ring of fire...........

Yep, but when Johnny reached for the K-Y jelly he got the Ben-Gay!
    :yikes:
    Jerry
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,814 Senior Member
    I have not tried that but I would like to know how it turns out. I have tried to make pork like they make in a Mexican restaurant we like but have never been able to get it right. I will never be a chef. Good luck with it. You could bring me some.
    I have not tried that but I would like to know how it turns out. I have tried to make pork like they make in a Mexican restaurant we like but have never been able to get it right. I will never be a chef. Good luck with it. You could bring me some.

If it turns out worth a damn and there is any left I will set you some aside.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Chili verde is NOT a side dish. Roast, peel and seed the chills and blend to a smoothish liquid mix with chicken stock garlic, onion, cumin. Simmer 2" cubes of pork shoulder in a little chicken stock until the stock evaporates leaving the solids on the bottom of the pot. A a bit of rendered pork fat to it and ad flour to make a rue once the flower is browned add the chili liquid and simmer with the meat until fork tender. Serve a couple of cubes of meat with the chili with warm tortillas.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I am getting a fresh batch of New Mexico green chile's next weekend and I want to use up the ones I have left with pork. Specifically smoked pork shoulder. I have been going round and round with the internet trying to find a recipe.

All the recipes I can find are for Chile Verde and versions of it or making a sauce and pooring it over roasted pork.

I want to cook the chiles with the pork, on the smoker. Does anyone have a recipe like that?

I am not afraid to go off the reservation I was just hoping to find someone who has done something similar.

You need to try that with a wild pig.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Chili verde is NOT a side dish. Roast, peel and seed the chills and blend to a smoothish liquid mix with chicken stock garlic, onion, cumin. Simmer 2" cubes of pork shoulder in a little chicken stock until the stock evaporates leaving the solids on the bottom of the pot. A a bit of rendered pork fat to it and ad flour to make a rue once the flower is browned add the chili liquid and simmer with the meat until fork tender. Serve a couple of cubes of meat with the chili with warm tortillas.

That sounds fantastic. Do you have to have green chiles for this? I mean yeah I love green chiles but sometimes red is all I can find.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Elk creek wrote: »

Oh I love me some chile verde. It is just not what I want to do with this bunch of chiles. Maybe next week.
    Dad 5-31-13
    snake284 wrote: »
    That sounds fantastic. Do you have to have green chiles for this? I mean yeah I love green chiles but sometimes red is all I can find.

My local mexican restaurant makes a dish like chile verde but with red sauce. They call it Chile Colorado and it is a damn fine meal.
    Dad 5-31-13