Home Main Category Clubhouse

Study delivers bleak verdict on validity of psychology experiment results

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I knew I should not have kept trying to pound a square peg into a round hole :conehead: :conehead: :tooth: :roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

Of 100 studies published in top-ranking journals in 2008, 75% of social psychology experiments and half of cognitive studies failed the replication test

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/27/study-delivers-bleak-verdict-on-validity-of-psychology-experiment-results
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,934 Senior Member
    So you really are crazy?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    So they did a study on studies? What is to say that that study is also wrong?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Psychologists are pretty easy to fool. Just be consistently inconsistent with answers and they'll be pulling their hair out in no time. And when they point out your inconsistent answers, disagree with them.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Don't most psychologists get into the business trying to understand their own fruitcake personalities? That certainly was the case with most of the high school "counselor" nutcases I worked around!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Don't most psychologists get into the business trying to understand their own fruitcake personalities? That certainly was the case with most of the high school "counselor" nutcases I worked around!
    Jerry

More truth to that than you know! My required psychology classes in college were like a bowl of granola, full of fruits, nuts, and flakes. THEY creeped ME out, and that takes some doing! :silly: :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Psychiatrists are even worse, the tests they give are a joke, and most meds they prescribe make patients worse, ending up in shootings like Columbine.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Don't most psychologists get into the business trying to understand their own fruitcake personalities?
    I would say there's more than just a bit of truth to this. In my own brand of weirdness, psychology and philosophy both fascinate me!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    So you really are crazy?

I am the only sane person on this forum :conehead::conehead: what, you don't believe me.

Let me converse with Me, Myself and I and I'll get back with ya later :tooth::roll2::roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I am the only sane person on this forum :conehead::conehead: what, you don't believe me.

Let me converse with Me, Myself and I and I'll get back with ya later :tooth::roll2::roll2:

Been a bad day for me, so far. The voices in my head are having a knock down drag out fight, my imaginary friend is running with scissors, and one of my multiple personalities ran away. Gonna be one of those days. :tooth:
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    If it can't be consistently repeated, it ain't science...or so I've heard the scientists say. A witch doctor can get lucky 36% of the time.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    If it can't be consistently repeated, it ain't science...or so I've heard the scientists say. A witch doctor can get lucky 36% of the time.

That's why the tribe doesn't kill him for maybe 30 years or so. The turn over with that job is slow. But there IS a turnover. Three in every One witch doctors end up being the main ingredient in the stew.___:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ThompsonSubThompsonSub New Member Posts: 26 New Member
    Dang...I've been making decisions based on the studies. I think the only experimenting I'm going to trust is my own in real life.