Home Main Category Clubhouse

New (to me) Truck

2»

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    The cracked bed rails could very well have been a headache rack. My project pickup has cracked and torn bed rails that were patched up with bondo.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    As a former oilfield worker, there's no way in hell I'd buy a former oilfield work truck. Those things get abused.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    USUFB wrote: »
    As a former oilfield worker, there's no way in hell I'd buy a former oilfield work truck. Those things get abused.

I am not an oilfield worker but I do live the middle of a very large patch and I agree with him. Pumpers seem to be especially hard on their pickups.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    When I first got my 98 it was getting 16 - 17mpg, then I modified it, changed the axles from 3.55 to 4.11, Posi F & B, 33" tires, 4" lift & 2" body lift, and hung a 150lb winch in the front, since then if gets 13mpg.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,858 Senior Member
    The errors you were getting (MAF and Stabilitrac) are solved most of the time with just a little cleaning of the sensors (or sometimes replacing), so the dealer will make out like a bandit on your trade-in. They'll buff it up shiny and mark it up to about $20-22k and someone who can't get a loan on a new truck will buy it and pay some loan shark interest rate on it (where they'll REALLY make their money).

Used trucks sell for way too much here in Texas.

Here's the old truck for sale at the dealership. You were right on the money!! :tooth:

http://www.shamaleybuickgmc.com/used/Chevrolet/2009-Chevrolet-Silverado+1500-69cc26ac0a0e0a1762e58c0fdf8fb3d3.htm
  • softwarejanitorsoftwarejanitor Member Posts: 241 Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Here's the old truck for sale at the dealership. You were right on the money!! :tooth:

http://www.shamaleybuickgmc.com/used/Chevrolet/2009-Chevrolet-Silverado+1500-69cc26ac0a0e0a1762e58c0fdf8fb3d3.htm

See how nice and shiny it looks in the pics! Chances are they spent more time and money detailing it than they did fixing any mechanical issues... Even if they give someone a "deal" and cut a couple grand off the listing price they are probably still net about $3-4k profit easy and that is before you figure the kickback they will get from the lender who finances it, which could be hundreds more...

Amazing they are asking about 2/3 of what that truck cost new and it has > 100k miles on it. But someone will pay that. I have only bought new trucks since moving down to Texas... If I'm going to pay that kind of money I want to be the one who puts the first 100k miles on.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    83E6A303-B3A4-41CB-8B3F-B0F1A66B0CC8_zpseqjeppzz.jpg
    They put the steering wheel on upside down....
    EFEE3E4D-4348-4384-AA10-6E6A396634B3_zpsdqhl9rdo.jpg

8E6C3611-726A-4A0E-A7D9-AC3E1CF4D699_zpstvj7mvm1.jpg

You have good taste! I have the big brother version with the same outside and interior colors!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    timc wrote: »
    You have good taste! I have the big brother version with the same outside and interior colors!

Thanks. I've always had white trucks, with the exception of my old '93, which was green. I do like the interior colors in this one.
    While the thread is back up, I'll give a quick inital range report on the truck, just for the heck of it. Seems we talk about trucks and recommendations on here now and then, so maybe the info will be helpful for someone looking in the future.

Today is the two week mark since I got this 2012 Ram 1500. The truck has the 5.7 Hemi engine and 6 speed auto transmission. It is the Big Horn model and it is 4x4. It is also a crew cab. The trucks features include power driver's seat, power sliding rear window, cruise control, leather wrapped steering wheel, towing mirrors with turn singnal lights in them, built in trailer brake controller and a few other things that are just about standard these days. Power windows and locks, factory security system, AM/FM/Sirius/CD and MP3 player, etc. A couple of things it lacks that would be nice are bluetooth capability for hands free phone use and the touch screen display with a backup camera. The radio in this particular truck just doesn't have those features. Not really a big deal. I didn't use the hands free feature in my Chevy all that much. The backup camera really just comes in handy for hooking up to a trailer, aside from being able to see something behind you while backing up that you normally might not have seen. I could spend several hundred dollars to buy a factory touchscreen display, backup camera and a couple of other things and install it, but I don't think it's worth it at this point.

In the two weeks I've had it, I've put about 1,000 miles on it. So far, it's getting 15-16 MPG depending on driving conditions. I drove it to the Midland/Odessa area over this past weekend and it drove very nicely. The ride and comfort are a step up from the Chevy I was driving. The drive consisted of a mixture of conditions. City driving, driving through a couple of mountain passes, 75 mile per hour highway cruising and more city driving around Odessa. Total mileage for the trip was about 700. The average fuel milage for the trip was right at 16 mpg. At one point I needed to pass a slower vehicle on a two lane highway, gave it some gas (not wide open) and it easily jumped to 90 MPH and made the pass without much effort at all. I was pretty pleased with how smooth and quiet the truck was, even at 90 MPH. Overall, a big thumbs up so far.

The truck did have a couple of dings on it, as I mentioned before. It had one spot on the plastic painted area just above the front bumper where it appears somebody rubbed that corner on something. It was just a black smear mark on the surface and a few little paint chips. I cleaned that up with some 2500 grit sandpaper and touched up the paint chips with matching touchup paint. It's far from perfect, but helped a lot. It also had a black plastic smear mark on the side of the bed, passenger side, just in front of the tail light. That buffed out with no problem. No damage to the metal or paint and can't even tell it was there now. I have found no other damage or issues on the truck. Everything looks nearly brand new, including the interior. The original owner of it appears to have taken good care of it, aside from the couple of marks I just mentioned.

I have not yet pulled a trailer with it, but I'm sure it will do it without an issue. The 5.7 Hemi has pretty good power, factory rated at 390 HP and 407 ft lbs of torque. Of course, mileage will drop. But that's to be expected.

To sum it up, I'm happy with it. So far, so good....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    I put a bckup camera in our '13 Charger. Pretty simple, the wiring was already there..... Keep an eye on ebay for the correct radio.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I've done a little looking around on line, including ebay. I'm not all that skilled at stuff like that. But what I did find seem to be around $350-$400 for the radio and I would have to add a Uconnect kit, since I'm pretty sure my truck doesn't have one in it. That appears to be another $350-$400 or so. Plus the camera. Best I could tell, it looks like a $700-$900+ project. I got gun stuff to buy, too... :jester: