I'm Not Ready, But I'm Making Progress

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,036 Senior Member
I went to Victoria Friday and bought a couple deer feeders and a sausage grinder. Now I need to get me a camo net and some PVC and build me another ground blind. Mine is in shambles. Then I'll redo the fence around the feeders and replace one feeder motor. Then fill them up with corn and I think this year I'm going to put some Deer Caine around the area. I may also take our tiller out there and till up an area and throw some seed out for a feed plot.

Today I went to the local chain grocery and ordered about 50 pounds of uncured raw Picnic hams to grind into sausage and I took all the hog, nilgai and deer meat out of the freezer and put it in my 150 Quart Igloo cooler to thaw. It's level full, and I can barely close the lid. Monday the Store should have the picnics in and I will commence to making sausage. It will probably take me a full day just to bone the meat off and get it cut to a good grinding size.

I did something I've never done before, I bought some ready made seasoning. But it has Real Curing Salt in it, Sodium Nitrite. Cost me about 4.75 per container and each plastic container has enough for 25 pounds of sausage, so I got four. I'm good for 100 pounds. I have a small storage building out back I'll use for a smoke house. Mesquite and Pecan will be my smoking wood.

The reason I'm doing this at this time is to clean the freezer out for deer season. We'll eat some and give my kids and other relatives some of it. The meat is all Vacuum sealed so even though it's been in the freezer for 8-10 months it's still good. Also, this will give me a little practice since it's been 17-18 years I think, since I made any. I love sausage and it's a big reason I hunt. Now it's time to get back to it.
Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,036 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    What kind of sausage?

Just plain ol' German-Bohemian Smoked Link sausage. Some people call it Kielbasa, but it's just sausage in Texas. In fact the only other homemade sausage I ever remember anyone mention here is pan sausage. We're simple about our sausage here, but you'll find some of the best there is here. So many Germans, Czechs, and Polocks here the sausage has gotta be good. It's what we do.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,521 Senior Member
    I make my own sausage, when I have meat to do it with.
    Cleaning out the freezer is a great reason to do it, and uses all the so-so cuts. I love it.
    I've had great luck with the seasoning kits, Hi Mountain (I think) has good ones. Brats, summer sausage, ring bologna.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,662 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Just plain ol' German-Bohemian Smoked Link sausage. Some people call it Kielbasa, but it's just sausage in Texas. In fact the only other homemade sausage I ever remember anyone mention here is pan sausage. We're simple about our sausage here, but you'll find some of the best there is here. So many Germans, Czechs, and Polocks here the sausage has gotta be good. It's what we do.
    Sausage and kielbasa are two different things. Kielbasa, at least up here its pork only, lots of garlic and a coarse grind and the flavor is a lot different. Sausage can be beef or blended as well as pork and is more a salt and pepper deal.

My father was raised making sausage and curing ham, and I saw a little of it. He said one of the best days of his life was when they came out with store bought casing. My grandmothers smoking wood was sassafras, probably because it was available.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    http://www.conyeagerspice.com/summer-sausage-kit/

I like the summer sausage, their kielbasa kit was ok, the ring bologna was pretty good.
    Sausage and kielbasa are two different things. Kielbasa, at least up here its pork only, lots of garlic and a coarse grind and the flavor is a lot different. Sausage can be beef or blended as well as pork and is more a salt and pepper deal.

My father was raised making sausage and curing ham, and I saw a little of it. He said one of the best days of his life was when they came out with store bought casing. My grandmothers smoking wood was sassafras, probably because it was available.

I have no real Idea what Kielbasa is. I have just heard people call it that. And yes, our sausage is usually a courser ground one, most of the time with a lot of garlic and also course ground black pepper. Sometimes some people will put red Cayenne Pepper in it. That makes for an interestingly tasty sausage. Some people will put mustard seed in it and some, they must be yankees, put more sugar in it. I even heard of some grinding fresh apples into it. I don't put anything fresh in my sausage, other than meat of course, because it can turn black and mushy. One thing I will do is always insist on real gut for stuffing. Also, I don't smoke it to death, but leave it in the smoke house overnight witn lots of smoke. And yes, I agree, what people usually smoke with is what they have available. Here, that's Live Oak, Mesquite, or Pecan. I know some peoples preferred smoke media is corn cobs. Just don't use something like Chinese Tallow or Pine, OR Cedar.

As for salt and pepper, Pepper can make sausage exceptional. But salt is the center of the universe for sausage. It can make or break it. An old sausage maker taught me that a long time ago and it made my sausage good. Around two pounds per hundred pounds of meat will get you there. My personal recipe is just a hair less than 2 pounds. Also, if you add curing salt it should be part of that 2 pounds. If you add say 3/4 pound curing salt you want to add 1 1/4 pounds regular NON IODIZED salt. But if you're going to smoke it in a smoke house you need the Sodium Nitrites in Curing salt to prevent botulism.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,026 Senior Member
    I spent Saturday out at my lease getting things pepper for season as well. Cleaning out the wasps and mud dabbers from the blinds, checking and filling feeders. Setting out dummy game cameras and real ones pointed at the dummy cams to catch the poachers, thieves and trespassers.

Looking forward to hunting season!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Real gut is OK, unless you have to turn it inside out and clean it before stuffing.

I agree with this. I don't remember that day, I probably wasn't around yet, but I have seen them make sausage casing. It looks like a major pain. They take that intestine out and turn the whole thing inside out. Then scrape off everything down to the membrane. Looked like it took hours of labor to me.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,475 Senior Member
    I'm going to try the scrapple recipe. Having it shipped out here to me is wicked expensive.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    There was a butcher on Whidbey Island that made scrapple. It had a lot less cornmeal than the grand mother on moms side, and less meat than the grandmother on dads side, but for fresh in WA, it worked.

Ask around.

http://www.7generations-artisan-meats.com/#!cured--smoked-meats/clug they might if you ask
    Kielbasa, at least upSausage and kielbasa are two different things. here its pork only, lots of garlic and a coarse grind and the flavor is a lot different. Sausage can be beef or blended as well as pork and is more a salt and pepper deal.

Searching around, it depends on where you are. Kiel basa is Polack for Sausage. And looking at one site, there's several different things called Kielbasa. But your definition mostly fits what we do around here. Course ground, lots of garlic, but lots of different styles here. Like there's one that's got twice the fine ground black pepper, but also a little garlic as well.