FR Revolver to 500 Yards!

12346»

Replies

• HvyMaxHvyMax Senior Member Posts: 1,786 Senior Member
    Hoggin wrote: »
    Will it have enough elevation....I doubt it

Will it withstand 44 mag recoil....I bet money it won't...

Will it track....no

Will it have enough eye relief....it's going to hurt. :buff:

Look at the scope to barrel centerline angles. If anything there is too much. The lovely brake you talked me into should mitigate recoil nicely not that the weight of this thing doesn't do enough. It's a first focal plane so ranging and tracking are perfectly consistent regardless of magnification. Pretty sure it's guaranteed for most anything up to and including 50bmg. The recoil never bothered me with way less weight so I am pretty sure I won't be wearing it.
    I am thoroughly impressed with your creations. My half passed garbage according to some here might make an interesting side by side comparison.
    Wal Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
    Paddle faster!!! I hear banjos.
    Reason for editing: correcting my auto correct
  • HogginHoggin Member Posts: 413 Member
    Ok. Well hurry up let's see this thing. Cameras are ready
    :applause:

Love doing the "impossible" with a handgun!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,108 Senior Member
    Needed a bigger pic of the 1000 yard / 1 MOA revolver

IMAG0421_zpspvg1qckk.jpg
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Couldn't help yourself huh....:rotflmao:

• USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That much weight doesn't need a brake.

I'd be concerned that the blast from a brake would damage the objective bell and/or the front lens.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    That much weight doesn't need a brake.

No but it may need another pile, that one is getting stacked awfully high with bull crap.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Shouldn't be a problem for that scope
    USUFB wrote: »
    I'd be concerned that the blast from a brake would damage the objective bell and/or the front lens.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    USUFB wrote: »

Excellent point thanks. I might make a foam lined pvc guard for it. Now that it's off the rifle I may as well start on the process of making it a bullpup. A 30-06 20 rnd bullpup EBR. This is the scopes donor.
    Needed a bigger pic of the 1000 yard / 1 MOA revolver

IMAG0421_zpspvg1qckk.jpg

You can probably scale the cylinder gap if you really want to from that picture. But I guess it's just BS that I made up. (Well I did modify it pretty extensively) being reduced to a few hours of "free" time a week has cut into my project time pretty heavily but will leave me well funded when it winds down.
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Excellent point thanks. I might make a foam lined pvc guard for it. Now that it's off the rifle I may as well start on the process of making it a bullpup. A 30-06 20 rnd bullpup EBR. This is the scopes donor.

So playing with guns and rubbing down with bath and body works.......:group:

• Test UserTest User New Member Posts: 33 Member
    HvyMax wrote: »
    Look at the scope to barrel centerline angles. If anything there is too much.

Oh. You did that on purpose. Gotcha
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Test User wrote: »

Think Volley Sights.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Test User wrote: »

Simple adjustment.
    So playing with guns and rubbing down with bath and body works.......:group:

:wink:
    Been mostly shooting by headlights after work but making great progress. The Pac Nor wasn't appreciably more accurate than the 10" Douglas. Eliminated most everything but Accurate#9 for conventional loads. Easily getting the accuracy I want but short on velocity. Probably be closer to 146' drop with those. Getting very interesting results from Universal Clays and deep seated bullets. I'm thinking of modding some cases to take military rifle primers. Everything seems fine but the match primers. Have a Douglas 1:14 barrel on the way now. Thinking I can get the velocity and accuracy I want but need a little more workup. You would think people have never seen someone with a powder scale and hand loader working like a madman at his desk while trying to shove lunch in his face!!!
    Glad you are making progress.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Six fresh ones. My dies are getting filthy. Gotta love an extra long cylinder when you need to push an envelope.
    Bullet weight?
    Are you still running the big rifle scope on there?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Y'all ran him through the wringer.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Y'all ran him through the wringer.

He is the one that stuck his head in there and started cranking.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    I bet that big slug hardly makes the gun recoil.....:buff:

Bullet weight?
    Are you still running the big rifle scope on there?

Switched back to the pistol scope for the10" barrel at 75 yds. Shooting 75 yds so my 10' tall target will cover the needed drop. When I get the Douglas 1:14 blank turned,threaded etc I will probably be switching back. Got the mount about where I want it for between 130 to 150' of drop. Here's one of my lightly compressed H110 loads. Oh yeah Eddie those are 310 casts. I settled back to the old reliables but tightening up the tolerances. Waiting for the new 1:14" Douglas blank. Then I might try ramping things back up again.
    I bet that big slug hardly makes the gun recoil.....:buff:

With the 16" and big scope not really. Pretty much my old IHMSA load. I guess recoil is relative. I'm 6'5" and about 320. Comparatively about a 38 special to me.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You seat yer bullets with a Dial Caliper :yikes::yikes::jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    You seat yer bullets with a Dial Caliper :yikes::yikes::jester:

Just showing the overall length that is available if your cylinder is long enough. Don't try this with anything less than a Dan Wesson or Super Redhawk. XXX because anything less is.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,503 Senior Member
    Hornady makes a 265gr FTX bullet in .44 caliber. Could you get a better BC from that bullet possibly?
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Hornady makes a 265gr FTX bullet in .44 caliber. Could you get a better BC from that bullet possibly?

That might be borderline with my barrels. I have high twist barrels like 1:16 and 1:14. Kinda like the 1:7 for an AR. They only shoot heavies well. I might try those in the Pac Nor. I think it likes jackets better. I learned 25 years ago that certain types of rifling like certain types of bullets. Kinda like certain twist rates like certain bullet weights. It was nothing for me to go through 3-6 barrels working up a setup. When I was shooting IHMSA I pushed the 300+ bullets to the limits of standard barrels(about 1200 fps)to stabilize them. My solution was to go on a barrel hunt till I found the Douglas that loved the cast 300+ grainers we were hurling at the time. Accurate #9 is giving me 3/4 moa currently with my 10" Douglas and micro managed loads. Waiting for a 1:14 Douglas blank now. I have been getting interesting results with lower volume powders in heavier than normal charges which I am hoping the new barrel will be able to harness. The Dan Wesson was truly built to be a nutcake testbed. So far my only limitation seems to be rate of fire with the .002 cylinder gap. The Federal Gold Medal match primers seem a little weak in comparison so I will probably mod some cases for military rifle primers. This is the first I've reloaded in about 20 years. Now I'll probably need to get on the wildcat bandwagon with silly creations for the AK and AR not to mention the Mac 10&11. Imagine a 460 Rowland necked down to 40 or .357 . Straighten a 7.62x39 to 40-44 ish! 357 AR! I have everything to crank out receivers at will now so the possibilities are getting silly. Getting ready to leave work and bust off the latest batch by headlights again. I have a 10' tall target at 75 yds so I can scale off actual drop for 1000yds with a high level of precision. I aim at the bottom and have it graduated for drop at distance. Now that my kids are older screw the little ingrates time for me again.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,503 Senior Member
    Keep it up. It is an interesting project and I am curious to see exactly how far you can go with a .44 mag revolver.

If you ever need a guy to make your wildcat reamers, Dave Manson is a great guy to work with. He is very down to earth and is a gun nut through and through...
    http://mansonreamers.com/
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Keep it up. It is an interesting project and I am curious to see exactly how far you can go with a .44 mag revolver.

If you ever need a guy to make your wildcat reamers, Dave Manson is a great guy to work with. He is very down to earth and is a gun nut through and through...
    http://mansonreamers.com/

Think I've seen his stuff on a couple of build sites. I like Gunco and the double secret WBZ. Lots of people out there doing unnatural things with metal.