Home Main Category Hunting

Introducing the .430 SJS and My First Bear

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Rendering bear fat...
    DSCN0995_zpsjfqccqgx.jpg
    Roast the bones for stock...
    DSCN0994_zpsde6yuujo.jpg
    Add some veggies, and I decided to use some apples, peaches, pears, cherry wine, and port wine as well...
    DSCN0997_zps3vj0z4fh.jpg
    Bones and stuff after the stock is drained...
    DSCN0999_zpsx0zwhoil.jpg
    Brown some bear meat, add stock, turnips, carrots, onions, mushrooms, and a bit of dill along with some cornstarch to thicken and you get bear stew!
    DSCN0998_zpsem3jhoyq.jpg
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,335 Senior Member
    Yum
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,065 Senior Member
    Man oh man that does look good.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I managed to get 70 pounds of meat out of him total:

3.5 Soup
    10 Burger
    18.75 Shank
    1 Heart
    7.5 Shoulder
    20 Hams
    5.5 Backstrap
    .75 Tenderloin
    3 Stew

I also got 5 pounds of unrendered fat, about 7 pints of rendered, and 8 quarts of stock. Then the head, claws, and pelt are getting shipped off on Monday to make a nice rug.
    -Thomas Paine
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I read somewhere that a bear's heart contains such a high level of vitamin A that it could be toxic if too much is eaten. I believe that A and D are the two fat soluble vitamins that will accumulate in your system if you ingest too much.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I read somewhere that a bear's heart contains such a high level of vitamin A that it could be toxic if too much is eaten.
    Liver. And I think it is only supposed be that way with polar bears. Regardless, I made pate out of that liver when I shot him. There wasn't much left to identify.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,769 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Liver. And I think it is only supposed be that way with polar bears. Regardless, I made pate out of that liver when I shot him. There wasn't much left to identify.
    It is polar bears because they eat seals and get the high Vit A from their livers.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Ok. I got it figured out. Bear meat has a similar texture and look of beef and a flavor kind of like chicken gizzards. I put a tenderloin on the grill today, let it rest and cut into it. A beautiful rare/medium rare! I sighed, wrapped it in foil to keep it from drying out, and put it in the oven for about 10 minutes. Pulled it out and let it rest for a few more minutes. Checked the temp-- 170 degrees but still juicy.

Excellent!
    -Thomas Paine
    It doesn't have to be burnt, but you have to hit at least 160 degrees... just did some looking, actually it is 137 degrees to kill any potential trichinosis larvae. Bear are carriers. I will go about 145 in the future-- I have decent thermometers at the house.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/uncategorized/steven-rinella-the-bear-facts-on-trichinosis/
    -Thomas Paine
    cpj wrote: »
    Anything over medium rare is burned.
    Yea, but look at the breakdown I have on the meat. That really only applies to 6 pounds of steak. Most everything else is going to be soup, stew, chili, sausage, coney sauce (heart) and otherwise undergo low, slow cooking/simmering. Shanks need to be stewed or braised to break down the connective tissue. Same with the shoulders. I am going to cure at least one of the hams and make it like a ham. The other may be like a roast and I will do that one low and slow too. No biggie. It ain't beef, it ain't pork-- it is a bear! I need to treat it differently. It gives me lots of opportunity to explore new culinary adventures.
    -Thomas Paine
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,130 Senior Member
    What did you do with the bones?

If you still have them, cut them across with a bandsaw to expose the marrow, then boil them to make stock for soup. Scoop out the marrow, stick it in a processor and add it back to the stock.

Oh, I didn't see any mention of the ribs in your breakdown above.............Just wondering.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 844 Senior Member
    That is so cool, a bear hunt is on my bucket list, and the wildcat is awesome.
    It gives me lots of opportunity to explore new culinary adventures.

Have you thought about making pemmican, it would be pretty cool to be snacking on your own authentic homemade pemmican next time you were out hunting.
    Alec--I got 2 gallons of stock from the bones. Look up higher in the thread. Post 97.
    -Thomas Paine
    waipapa13 wrote: »
    Have you thought about making pemmican, it would be pretty cool to be snacking on your own authentic homemade pemmican next time you were out hunting.
    I love jerky and pemmican both, but with the limited times I can get out and hunt and the extremely limited times I harvest game, my instinct is to stretch out the game meat as much as I can. Making jerky-- you take 2 pounds of meat and turn it into one pound! The opposite of what I am trying to do.

That said, I spent half my son's lifetime (7 years) planning to do this hunt, used a rifle I built, with a cartridge that I invented and loaded myself, butchered the animal, and cooked/will be cooking myself then eating. I have found this to be a very very satisfying experience. My wife suggested that I save my poop after I eat the bear, use it to fertilize vegetables, and use those to bait bear and complete the circle. I think I may pass on that.
    -Thomas Paine
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,130 Senior Member
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the marrow from bear bones was used by the Indians to cure leather.......or was it brains................

Hold on, ...........................yep, it was brains and marrow combined.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    I gotta check the hunting section more often. This is AWESOME.

Congratulations Jerm!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    I gotta check the hunting section more often. This is AWESOME.

Congratulations Jerm!

It's not this good that often. This is one of those times. Now in the heat of hunting seasons it's worth it to hang out here. It can get interesting.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    This combination works perfectly!

RCBS .444 Marlin Dies
    Wilson Case Trimer and .444 Marlin Case Holder
    .325gr WFN-GC
    1.250" COAL

20468EA3-E59D-43D5-AE27-37877221DD6C_zpsh1dztqn4.jpg

No stuck cases and perfect sizing/trimming until fireform.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Are you doing that in one pass Zee?

I mean just running the .308 case through the .444 sizing die.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Are you doing that in one pass Zee?

I mean just running the .308 case through the .444 sizing die.

.338-06 Die
    .375 Ruger Die
    .404 Jeffery Die
    .444 Marlin Die

Trim to length.

Bell with .444 Marlin Die

Seat with .444 Marlin Die.

I made another after the one above and used less "bell". Resulted in less flare after seating so no need to crimp. Should work.
    Looks like I need more dies.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Might could use a .404 Jeffery expander ball in a .444 Marlin die, but mine are two different makers........so I can't try it.
    Not yet. Patience. We have plans.

I have only ordered. 444 dies so far.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Looks like I need more dies.
    I have several hundred pieces of brass made up all the way to the .416 sizer stage-- they just need to go through the .444 Marlin die and be trimmed down. I can send you some.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Grab the popcorn kids. Here is a start...
    5036_zpsxp75qmve.jpg
    Not anything for the record books, but I shot a 175 pound boar 11 minutes before legal light ended on my 4th day of bear hunting. (I was only scheduled for three.) I am on the left, bear in the middle, and my guide, Kip Cameron, on the right...
    5029_zpsc0jeqeic.jpg
    The rifle is a Marlin X7 chambered in my wildcat, the .430 SJS with reamers made by Dave Manson and the experimental barrel made by X-Caliber barrels. The scope is a Leupold Vx-1 1-4x shotgun scope with the Turkey-Plex.
    5081_zps2on0uwov.jpg
    .430 SJS next to a bear wiener...
    5090_zpsnlafluwj.jpg

Only our Jerm could make a bear look small. ;)
    The experts at JEI are currently working on a soloution to this multiple die sizing problem. If it works, a .444 Marlin die set with the custom JEI device will do everything.
    Only catch is, you will have to use Lee dies.

Hater.
    But the Lee design is first. Because I have Lee dies.

btn-blue-falcon_zpsd7gvjryv.gif

You win.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,972 Senior Member
    probably a dumb question but why not use 30-06 brass? The 1.8" cut off point is below the shoulder and would eliminate the need to expand the neck and shoulder area of the 308 case. Yes? No? Wall thickness to great at this point? enlighten me please.

Sako
    sakodude wrote: »
    probably a dumb question but why not use 30-06 brass? The 1.8" cut off point is below the shoulder and would eliminate the need to expand the neck and shoulder area of the 308 case. Yes? No? Wall thickness to great at this point? enlighten me please.

Sako

I'll let the designer answer that question.

:cool:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Google was of no help. What does SJS mean? What's the history behind these?