Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

What is wrong with Ted Cruz?

kansashunterkansashunter Senior MemberPosts: 1,902 Senior Member
I have not picked my choice yet but I have started to study them more closely. Sen. Cruz would seem to be what conservatives are looking for. He has stood up to the liberals and gop leaders. He is conservative not just talking that way now. He has an A+ from the nra. Am I missing something? Why is he not doing better?

Replies

  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    My take on this particular silly season of politics is that the electorate is tired of career politicians and wants an outsider completely outside of career politics to get elected. Cruz is a good conservative, but Trump, Fiorina, and Carson are sucking all the air out of the room because they are not career politicians, and are just different, and have a strong message. Still a long way until the primaries, and if Cruz can hold out until the early primaries he may still have a chance.

    I think their pasts will catch up with Trump and Fiorina, and they have plenty of time to 'step in it' big time. I think Carson will last because he is a genuinely honest and intelligent man.

    Anyway, by the time the primary is held in my state, the culling will already be done, and I'll get stuck with picking the least worst of the culls left.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,902 Senior Member
    Anyway, by the time the primary is held in my state, the culling will already be done, and I'll get stuck with picking the least worst of the culls left.[/QUOTE] That is how it will be for me, that is another reason I have not spent a lot of time digging into all of these candidates. I can't help being interested though.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Isn't TN part of SEC tuesday? A bunch of southern states have banded together and made their primary day earlier, April I think, so we have some clout in the election for a change.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    That guy irritates me fer some reason. He is like a TV preacher, in fact his father is a preacher, maybe that is where he learned his gift of gab. Not that I disagree with all his politics, some of it is OK.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Isn't TN part of SEC tuesday? A bunch of southern states have banded together and made their primary day earlier, April I think, so we have some clout in the election for a change.
    They only have clout if the party accepts that change of date. Florida moved their primaries up and was only allotted half the delegates in both the Republican and Democratic primaries in 2008 and 2012.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I have not picked my choice yet but I have started to study them more closely. Sen. Cruz would seem to be what conservatives are looking for. He has stood up to the liberals and gop leaders. He is conservative not just talking that way now. He has an A+ from the nra. Am I missing something? Why is he not doing better?

    He isn't doing better because the establishment Republicans hate his guts and the mainstream media wants him to go away. His voting record is impeccable for Constitutionalists, and he has stood against every one of Mitch McConnell's cave-ins to the Democrats. He is as much of an outsider as a US Senator can possibly be, and still remain seated. I'll wager that he has a better conservative/libertarian voting record than Rand Paul.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,321 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    I think Carson will last because he is a genuinely honest and intelligent man.

    But. . .aren't honesty and intelligence automatic D.Q.'s for work in D.C.?
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    He isn't doing better because the establishment Republicans hate his guts and the mainstream media wants him to go away. His voting record is impeccable for Constitutionalists, and he has stood against every one of Mitch McConnell's cave-ins to the Democrats. He is as much of an outsider as a US Senator can possibly be, and still remain seated. I'll wager that he has a better conservative/libertarian voting record than Rand Paul.

    :that:

    And all TV preachers aren't the same. Billy Graham is a TV Preacher for God's sakes. They all aren't the same. You can't compare Billy Graham with Say Jimmy Swaggert. Swaggert is a sleeze ball, Graham an honest Godly man.

    And sometimes I think the advent of Television is the worst thing that ever happened to this nation. The exposure lets a persons emotions inter into politics. Woman vote for a man according to his looks and I think it may end up the same for men voting for a female candidate. That's just BS and has nothing to do with the job he can and would do in office. Also, it permits a libtard like Obama to get on there and appeal to the Low Info crowd.

    Anyway, I try to look at what the candidate really stands for and I vote for the person that comes across to me as the most honest and conservative and smartest candidate on the ballot. Or at least I strive to do that. And that is Cruz and also Carson.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I believe they did accept it. I've heard it referred to as "The SEC primary"

    Yes, the RNC changed the rules according to this MSNBC article
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/southern-gop-super-tuesday-could-be-2016-game-changer

    Well it's about damned time! :applause:
    The SEC primary; I like the name. :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ted looks like a wax figure that is starting to melt and like it or not being photogenic is part of getting elected along with looks, charisma and all the rest.......................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Ted looks like a wax figure that is starting to melt and like it or not being photogenic is part of getting elected along with looks, charisma and all the rest.......................

    Photogenic? Four bad words; Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders. :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Ted looks like a wax figure that is starting to melt and like it or not being photogenic is part of getting elected along with looks, charisma and all the rest.......................

    I realize it has a lot to do with it. But that doesn't mean it's for the best choice. In my opinion to choose a candidate for office because of his looks or his voice is really very shallow and down right stupid.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I realize it has a lot to do with it. But that doesn't mean it's for the best choice. In my opinion to choose a candidate for office because of his looks or his voice is really very shallow and down right stupid.

    Well Snake you answered it yourself. Just look what happened in the last two elections.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    If being photogenic is a concern, explain Donald Trump. Specifically that dead hamster on his head.

    And I agree: choosing a candidate based on looks is shallow and stupid.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    If being photogenic is a concern, explain Donald Trump. Specifically that dead hamster on his head.

    And I agree: choosing a candidate based on looks is shallow and stupid.

    Trump hit the market in a very unique situation where so many people in the middle or to the right of center are craving something they're not getting, that being a president that is sounding like he will stand up to the BGs and for our rights.

    Whether Trump will prove to be our savior if elected remains to be seen, but even I have to admit that he's sounding real good. Also, his having a ship load of money isn't hurting.

    I think he's just saying the right things at the right time and it's overriding his lack of "OTHER" attributes.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Shallow it may be, but lots of voters do either consciously or subconsciously........
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Shallow it may be, but lots of voters do either consciously or subconsciously........
    Yep Sho Nuff! But I never said it wasn't happening, I just believe things would be better off if it wasn't.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    RELAX, folks. The first primary isn't until February. Nothing much that we think we know today will be true then - for either party's candidates.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Well, I'll tell tell you what is "Wrong" with Ted Cruz..............he is simply not electable!

    He could never win in a general election for the presidency in this day and age. Sorry it just wouldn't happen. Neither could Rand Paul for that matter.

    He hasn't even resonated with Reps to be a front-runner in the polls. He is behind Carley/Ben/Donald. I don't see a "Breakout" happening for him either.

    I could be wrong, but doubt he will win the Rep nomination. A lot can and will still happen.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Not saying i wouldn't vote for him over any Democrat, I would.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    BTW, there's nothing wrong with Ted Cruz, but I can't say the same for a majority of the Electorate.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Ted Cruz is what the country needs...unfortunately he's probably not electable because of the way he looks. Trump has that horrible, ugly orange bird's nest on his head, but he thinks folks don't notice. Big mouth on him but no substance. And while Carson is an intelligent soft spoken likeable man, he's pretty soft on the second amendment, from what I've seen and heard in interviews he's had. Carly? Not presidential material IMO.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,902 Senior Member
    I thought Dr. Carson was going to be a good choice but I have read some things he said before his campaign that are not conservative and not to my liking.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I thought Dr. Carson was going to be a good choice but I have read some things he said before his campaign that are not conservative and not to my liking.

    Give him time. He like all of them is learning.

    Basically, at heart, he is a conservative. But like us all, he had some weird ideas. But he is learning, like all of them. Look at Trump. He was an out and out libtard for a long time. Now when they all see a REAL libtard at the throttle, and they see what comes of LIBTARD policies, they are looking back to the right for salvation.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Ted Cruz is what the country needs...unfortunately he's probably not electable because of the way he looks. Trump has that horrible, ugly orange bird's nest on his head, but he thinks folks don't notice. Big mouth on him but no substance. And while Carson is an intelligent soft spoken likeable man, he's pretty soft on the second amendment, from what I've seen and heard in interviews he's had. Carly? Not presidential material IMO.

    Oh I think Trump has plenty of substance, but he ain't a clue how to do it, well not yet anyway.

    In other words, he's got the talking part done...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Ted Cruz is what the country needs...unfortunately he's probably not electable because of the way he looks. Trump has that horrible, ugly orange bird's nest on his head, but he thinks folks don't notice. Big mouth on him but no substance. And while Carson is an intelligent soft spoken likeable man, he's pretty soft on the second amendment, from what I've seen and heard in interviews he's had. Carly? Not presidential material IMO.

    You know what? You're full of reason. And you could very well reason the election right into the Democrat's hands.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement