Home Main Category Clubhouse

Pileated Woodpecker

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I buy the 20 pound bags of bird seed at Walmart fer 10-12 bucks, it seems to have a good mix of various seeds that all the birds will eat. They have a few different kinds, but one had more corn than seeds and they really didn't like that brand.

I've had them wipe out a $7 bag in a few days around here, the smaller bags and I ain't spending 50+ bucks a month on premium bird seeds. Especially with Freddie and Alvin the squirrels around here who have defeated the guard on the bird feeder.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I buy the 20 pound bags of bird seed at Walmart fer 10-12 bucks, it seems to have a good mix of various seeds that all the birds will eat. They have a few different kinds, but one had more corn than seeds and they really didn't like that brand.

I've had them wipe out a $7 bag in a few days around here, the smaller bags and I ain't spending 50+ bucks a month on premium bird seeds. Especially with Freddie and Alvin the squirrels around here who have defeated the guard on the bird feeder.

Big Chief, can you get corn dried on the cob where you're at down there? If you can, you can break the cob into two-three pieces and place them on a board shelf nailed to a tree for the squirrels. They'll mostly leave the feeder alone if they have their own feed. If dried corn on the cob isn't available, make a squirrel feeder with a small metal colander and fill it with deer corn. The squirrels will eat that like crazy. Keeps the little devils out of the bird seed, mostly.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'd shoot every damn one of them tree rats if the old man next door didn't make pets outta them or I say I would, anyway. They sometimes literally eat outta his hands. He is now in bad health and in a scooter, in-out hospital/VA a WWII Vet, but his bark is worse than his bite! He keeps a 33 gal trash can full of peanuts fer them.

I wish I had a taste fer them, I don't. They are destructive pests fer sure in more ways than robbing birdseed. I've seen up to 10 at a time in my backyard. The owls/hawks/stray cats take care of a few of them.

Hmmmm..... I do need a good pellet rifle................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,842 Senior Member
    Chief:
    Get one of these, https://www.backyardchirper.com/bird-house-50864.html ; mine is like that for mounting on a pole/metal fence post.

Set the counter weight for the bird of number of small birds at one time and if the weight exceeds that as in too many birds of a squirrel,
    the perch drops down and a metal guard closes off the food supply.

I have not had one squirrel get the food if the weight is set right, then only once. I just use sunflower seeds in it, but, any kind of seed will work.

Mine is set for 2 cardinals, but, they usually do not want to share. I do get one cardinal and 2 finches at one time.