Home Main Category Clubhouse

Gone from the 'glades: Federal rules to put Florida's legendary airboats in dry dock

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

WHY?

Why do we allow the Fed so much power? They stole land here in this county from an old Family that had lived on that land and raised cattle on that land for over 100 years.

The Hawes family, who have been in Calhoun County for well over a century, owned land on Matagorda Island and worked cattle on it. At the beginning of WWII the government bought the land at supposedly fair market price to build an air base. They did this with a hand shake agreement (At the time that was viable, people still had some honor, even the Government) that if the need for that land ever went away they could buy it back at fair market price. Also, the family would keep its mineral rights and have permanent grazing rights for their cattle. Thorough the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s everything was as said in the agreement.

For almost the whole 20 Century the whooping Cranes wintered on Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. Then sometime in the 70s, as the Whooping Crane population recovered through the century, the Whoopers began to expand their wintering grounds. I can remember some shrimpers and fishermen telling me that they were seeing whoopers crossing the Intercoastal onto the Island. The Island and the Wildlife Refuge are only about 100-150 yards apart in a couple places.

Sometime in the 70s I think, the Feds let the TPWD manage the land. As the bird population expanded each year more cranes were spilling over onto the Island, finally attracting the attention of the Libtard Bunny Hugging Scum that hangs out lobbying in Washington. They put on the moves and in the early 1990s they kicked the Hawes family off for good. The State still runs the place and for all I know may have full control and/or ownership now, but it is now a State Wildlife Management Area.

The stupid thing is, the area the Hawes ran their cattle on was on the North East end of the Island where the old abandoned Matagorda Air Base is located. The Hawes family and the Air Force always co-existed really well. The area the Cranes are spilling over onto is on the South West end down toward Mustang Island. Mustang is a BIG Tourist area. It will be interesting to see what happens when the cranes begin spilling over onto the other barrier islands. I bet they don't shut Port Aransas down. Too many tourist dollars changing hands down there. Matagorda Island was and still is a relatively inaccessible place (no bridge or Ferry, used to be a ferry when the Airforce was in business there)and the government doesn't mind stepping on private toes as much as pissing off the public.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.