Home Main Category Hunting

Aarrgh! I ruined the backstraps!

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,148 Senior Member
image1_zpsji2rwluk.jpg

I took my first-ever shot at small game using my bow and the G5 small game head...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/g5-outdoors-small-game-head-broadheads-3-pack

I had exactly one arrow in my quiver while deer hunting from a stand last night for just such a situation. Seems that in a fit of squirrel fever, I aimed centermass. At 10 yards with the critter actually staying put trying to bury a nut, it should have been a slam dunk headshot, but I distinctly recall telling myself "just hit it!" Oh, well - guess I need to stop and think next time. The rest of it is salvagable and I'm finally initiated into the club of maniacs who hunt for small meatbearers with a stick and string.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    That's going to happen! I make those kind of "headshots" with my flintlock squirrel rifle frequently! But anyway....welcome to the challenge of busting squirrels with "other than" modern firearms :cool2:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Now that's something I have to do one day! Your stories about that gun actually had me pondering a .32 cal flinter of my own, but I need to see where the winds take me for a final retirement location before I commit to one. We may end up some place out west devoid of tree rats and such, so it's big game flinters for now.

I gotta say that I'm highly impressed with those G5 broadheads, by the way, as they fly just like a field point. The little claws on them are meant to catch grass and spring the arrow upright in the event of a miss, but they also do wonders to ensure a lot of shock. It basically gutted the little guy for me and did an admirable job of cutting the spine, ending him quickly.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    "Squirrel fever" that's just nuts!! Still a good shot at such a small target.
    Had a friend nail a grouse from his tree stand, expecting a fine dinner as he watched the skewered bird flap it's wings and twist itself off the arrow and fly away!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    "Squirrel fever" that's just nuts!! Still a good shot at such a small target.
    Had a friend nail a grouse from his tree stand, expecting a fine dinner as he watched the skewered bird flap it's wings and twist itself off the arrow and fly away!!

Oh, yes. A friend's brother had a similar experience with a turkey. He didn't hit the vitals, yet managed to pin the bird's wings together. He ended up on a fruitless foot chase to try and subdue it and discovered that a scared turkey can run pretty damned fast.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Ha HA - How big is a back strap on a squirell? Bout the size of Zee's pinkie?
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    image1_zpsji2rwluk.jpg

I took my first-ever shot at small game using my bow and the G5 small game head...

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/g5-outdoors-small-game-head-broadheads-3-pack

I had exactly one arrow in my quiver while deer hunting from a stand last night for just such a situation. Seems that in a fit of squirrel fever, I aimed centermass. At 10 yards with the critter actually staying put trying to bury a nut, it should have been a slam dunk headshot. Oh, well - guess I need to stop and think next time. The rest of it is salvagable and I'm finally initated into the club of maniacs who hunt for small meatbearers with a stick and string.

Good shot nevertheless. I should give bow hunting an honest try... as if I weren't broke enough already.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,706 Senior Member
    Nice shot
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Thanks, guys. I should add that the angle of the arrow is a bit misleading in the pic. The arrow actually impacted at the angle the picture was taken, and then sort of slumped over. Since the broadhead is designed to stop the arrow from over-penetrating the earth, it hit him flush and bounced back after hitting the ground. While I doubt that those little tines would survive a direct impact with a rock, especially at close range, I'm pretty impressed with how well these little broadheads work!
    twa wrote: »
    Ha HA - How big is a back strap on a squirell? Bout the size of Zee's pinkie?

Just slightly bigger :tooth:
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Good shot nevertheless. I should give bow hunting an honest try... as if I weren't broke enough already.

It is fun but, like everything in the hunting world these days, not terribly cheap. The good news is that there are some quality archery outfits available (i.e. Infinite Edge package, by Bowtech) that are priced around $300, available in several different camo schemes, upgradeable and ready to go right out of the box.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AN7C60M/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00AL1XEGK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NC2RY1PAP3DHNEJQAPN

You'll be set to hunt anything from small game to big game in no time flat. If you want to improve on it, you can replace the stock accessories with better ones over time and as funds allow. The catch is that decent arrows and broadheads seldom come terribly cheap, and if you want to do both small and big game, you'll want to keep specialized heads for each. Using an expensive big game broadhead - often good for just one shot and highly likely to imbed itself in a tree trunk - on a squirrel just isn't smart. Conversely, sending a reusable, but blunt-pointed squirrel broadhead at a deer is neither smart nor legal anywhere that I've been.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    The only thing that I want to bow hunt is a turkey. I don't know why I have this attraction to taking large birds with a bow. I would also love to kill a goose or two with one, but a game warden told me that is illegal. I don't know, some body and it may have been you, told me that it's not illegal up north to goose hunt with a bow. And since they're federal game, they should be legal everywhere. I'm going to check into that, because every year there's several shots at geese over where I'm deer hunting. That would be cool to take a bow out to the deer blind and nail me a couple honkers or speckle bellies while I'm deer hunting. Anyway, I think you're getting way too nit picky on that squirrel's anatomy. You have a squirrel in hand and a majority of the meat is ok. So don't knock yourself, you got game in the bag, be happy!!!

:cool2:__:worthy:__:group:__:applause:__:win:__:tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    That is a darn small target, Well done!!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks kindly for the compliments on the shot, but I'm telling ya, guys: with a properly tuned bow and some practice, a 10-yard shot should be a gimme, even a headshot on a squirrel. I just heard that little clock in my head start ticking, feeling like he was gonna dart off, and I instinctively went for the easier target (mid-body).

I had already taken way too long changing my arrow out of my rest/quiver from the 4-blade deer broadhead to the small game broadhead while he was digging for a few seconds. No excuse for it other than letting the heat of the moment get to me :jester:
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    I used to carry a Judo for squirrels and such. I have literally taken fur off of them, but never did get one.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I used to carry a Judo for squirrels and such. I have literally taken fur off of them, but never did get one.

I figure that they almost have to be burying food or eating to have a prayer at getting a good shot off, especially if you have to swap arrows. I had a chance at another squirrel a few nights ago, under virtually the same circumstances as last night, but decided it was too late to shoot it. I didn't want to risk spooking a deer during prime time.
    snake284 wrote: »
    The only thing that I want to bow hunt is a turkey. I don't know why I have this attraction to taking large birds with a bow. I would also love to kill a goose or two with one, but a game warden told me that is illegal. I don't know, some body and it may have been you, told me that it's not illegal up north to goose hunt with a bow. And since they're federal game, they should be legal everywhere. I'm going to check into that, because every year there's several shots at geese over where I'm deer hunting. That would be cool to take a bow out to the deer blind and nail me a couple honkers or speckle bellies while I'm deer hunting. Anyway, I think you're getting way too nit picky on that squirrel's anatomy. You have a squirrel in hand and a majority of the meat is ok. So don't knock yourself, you got game in the bag, be happy!!!

:cool2:__:worthy:__:group:__:applause:__:win:__:tooth:
    You definitely have to look into that. I can't imagine that using a bow for waterfowl is illegal in Texas. Speaking of which, my buddy saw a guy use a Ghost Blind to shoot a goose just this past week in Nebraska.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Don't beat your self up too bad Luis. MY oldest son stuck one, about 30' up, on the side of an oak tree, with a broadhead, two years ago. The arrow is still in the tree, but there isn't much left of the squirrel.........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Robin -

That exact scenario played through my head a few times in the past when I didn't have the specialized broadheads to make the shot without sticking it into a tree permanently. Many times, I've had tree rats just a few yards away and thought, "man, if I ever shoot this thing, there's no getting it down."
    Ok, that's freaking spooky. Now we've got zombie freaking squirrels...