Home Main Category Hunting

Yotes came a runnin'!

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,557 Senior Member
It never gets old. I recently got a new Foxpro e-caller and the attached spinning decoy. It's the basic entry level model. The remote has a range of about 50 yards reliably.

I didn't know what calls in this e-caller would do the trick so I started with baby cotton tail distress and after about 10 minutes of no Yotes, in switched to coyote pup distress yelps... I had 4 of those buggers on top of that decoy/call in about 10 minutes flat.

I was positioned on a fire mitigation road and my shot window was less than five seconds. I'd been messing around with loads in all my rifles and I had nothing zeroed except one AR15 with a Trijicon 1x RMR sight on it...I missed. Oh well. I'll be there again on Friday afternoon properly equipped.

I called them in to within 50 yards OF MY TRUCK. In the middle of the day. I was not blinded up either. These things have the dumb. They clearly aren't hunted.

I'll be taking the shotgun and Hornady Dead Coyote 3" shells next time.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,238 Senior Member
    Sounds like fun...get rid of the nasty smelling critters! I missed a couple with my buddy's "truck gun" Contender .223 over the summer, (found out he scope was WAY off) they are fun to shoot at though.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    I love it when they do that...the pups of the year are always pretty gullible...Even when you think a coyote is pretty fast, a miss will show you what they're really capable of...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I love it when they do that...the pups of the year are always pretty gullible...Even when you think a coyote is pretty fast, a miss will show you what they're really capable of...

Down here in Florida 20-25 pounds is a pretty good size yote. One in saw may have gone 30. There is almost zero hunting pressure.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    That's awesome. I love seeing them come in with fire in their eyes like that. In my experience, when they want to eat, you will see them do exactly what you saw: broad daylight, intense approaches.

I'm glad that your FoxPro worked, too. If I'm being honest, I have one of the more expensive models from a few years back (the Fury) and despite hours of use, have never killed a single thing over it. My luck with it has been so bad that I started using traditional mouth-blown calls and actually got them to start coming in. I think it has a lot more to do with how many folks are using the same handful of screamin' rabbit tracks in the places I've used it than the quality of the call.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    They will be a little smarter, next time.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    They will be a little smarter, next time.

Yes they will. I'm OK with the challenge though.

Their food sources out there are so abundant I can use several different calls/decoys and probably get good results for a while. I can always give them a break for a while too before going back at them.

The crazy thing was 3 of the 4 came back a minute or so after the gun shot to check out the decoy again. The pup distress call was very alluring apparently.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Keep it up
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Predator calling is addictive, you are toast- keep at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk