Home Main Category Hunting

Cecil the Lion Killed by Dentist Causes Uproar

13»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Too much work... Can I just send you a blank check?

Yes, and please be sure to sign it first. -:)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    I'm in :up:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting a protest alliance called "Lion Lives Matter".

Who's with me?

One thing I forgot to mention is that the alliance is not concerned with lion on lion crime.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    I think this is a strong video, whether you agree with the killing of "Cecil" or not Mr. Waddell makes some valid points I think all hunters should take to heart.....

http://outdooroverload.com/bone-collector-michael-waddell-powerful-message-to-hunters/
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,146 Senior Member
    twa wrote: »
    I think this is a strong video, whether you agree with the killing of "Cecil" or not Mr. Waddell makes some valid points I think all hunters should take to heart.....

http://outdooroverload.com/bone-collector-michael-waddell-powerful-message-to-hunters/

Can't make it work, goes to adds
    Hey, Cecil killed a famous gazelle.
    NN wrote: »
    Can't make it work, goes to adds

strange....it pulls right up when I click on it. You have to scroll down about 1/2 way through to get to the actual video.

I will try again..
    Ok, it worked and yes he is right, I do support one such Org.

There may be better ones, these ORGs need to make themselves known because too many are tied to just one phase of hunting it seems.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    My understanding is that most, if not all lion, and other big cat hunts in Africa are over bait. In my mind NO different than hunting deer over a food plot, bean field or feeder. Is every hunter that hunts over bait a slob?

And the big fees associated with these hunts are encouraged by the local and country governments because the villages in the area get great benefits by the elimination of problem animals like lions, elephants and others and quite a bit of the money works its way to the local economy in tha way of wages for work as trackers, camp cooks and other work related with running a safari outfit.

So quite frankly outside of guttural purely emotional crisis invented by the media and the SWIFTLY dying response I see absolutely nothing wrong with what this guy did, I see plenty wrong with the response of the masses...

:agree: We as hunters should not be divided on this issue, our division just makes the Anti's one step closer to their agenda, which is banning ALL hunting.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,138 Senior Member
    There isn't a thing wrong with lion hunting...there isn't anything wrong with baiting them...that's the way it's done,,,BUT dragging that bait through a reserve behind a truck is an issue...especially since it appears that park rangers were paid off to do it. It would be one thing if the lion in question left the reserve on his own to check out a bait hanging in a tree. That being said....this is on the PH...not the guy who knocked off the lion...attempting to destroy the radio collar compounds the situation....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tubabucknuttubabucknut Banned Posts: 3,520 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    There isn't a thing wrong with lion hunting...there isn't anything wrong with baiting them...that's the way it's done,,,BUT dragging that bait through a reserve behind a truck is an issue...especially since it appears that park rangers were paid off to do it. It would be one thing if the lion in question left the reserve on his own to check out a bait hanging in a tree. That being said....this is on the PH...not the guy who knocked off the lion...attempting to destroy the radio collar compounds the situation....
    :that:
    Wambli, how many villages has Cecil terrorized? How many people has he killed? The problem animal argument applies for problem animals only.

Also didn't he shoot the lion with a crossbow, and then have to track it for two days? My info may not be up to date on this. If so he couldn't get the job done with the weapon he brought. I really don't care how much an animal suffers if one is hunting for subsistence, or is protecting their life, and property. Though I would prefer a hunter get it done right. However if one is going to trophy hunt, one better get it done the first time every time. To do otherwise shows no respect for the game one is hunting.

Again I personally am not into the trophy hunting thing, but to each his own. Just do it right. Follow the laws, do it ethically. If this were done in this instance there would never have been a story.
  • KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,249 Senior Member
    IMHO it would be easier to take up the good Doctor's defense if he hadn't already been convicted of scumbaggery hunting here in the states. If it was the guide's fault both times then he really needs to work on his judgement of people.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I just can't seem to find a way to care any less about the whole freakin' deal :uhm:

Pretty much sums me up, too. There is ISIS and all that kind of stuff out there, you know.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Huh Go Figure....lot of people on this guy for a legal hunt.......wake up sheeple!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34508269
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    :agree: We as hunters should not be divided on this issue, our division just makes the Anti's one step closer to their agenda, which is banning ALL hunting.

While I somewhat agree with what you're saying and I can see the merit in it, I also see that we as hunters need to police our own. We can't allow slop hunters to give us all a bad name. There's a fine line between being an idiot and being ethical. The idiocy would come from the Bunny Hugger side that will try to make every hunter look like an unethical, unlawful, slob. The unethical side comes in when we as hunters look the other way when one of our own is being a slob and taking up for him just because he's one of us. I don't know and seriously doubt if anyone here truly knows whether this dentist is telling the truth or he is a shameless slob that thinks he can buy his way out of his sins. In other words, my jury is still out. I don't want to make it look like I'm siding with the leftist bunny huggers, but I don't want to just give this guy a free pass either. Like I said, my jury is still out.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    From 1990 to 2005 at least 563 villagers were attacked by lions and many were eaten. Where's the outrage?

Silly, Jayhawker. Those are humans. We don't care about humans! They're aren't fuzzy and cute like Simba.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member

Can't get the video to come up.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Can't get the video to come up.

Once you pull up the link, scroll about 1/2 way down and you can get to the video from there.